September Hip Hop Recommendations

esar

I won't pretend that I've got anywhere near the level of knowledge of some of the other people in this thread but I go to UGHH.com quite often to check out new tunes. As I'm only on 56k, streaming tracks is ideal. Listening to some mad El-p produced Slug tune at the mo. I like the reviews at

Pitchfork - not strictly a hiphop site by any means but the reviews are always interesting and well written.

I feel your pain at living in the arse-end of nowhere though, these threads have been great for me to hear about new stuff. Cheers peeps.

:D a bit naughty but....

http://66.90.103.14/Locked/VA-DJ_Premier_P...ame_Up-2004-C4/

DJ Premier - Step Ya Game Up

01| DJ Premier - Steal Ya Game Up Intro | 01:53 |

02| Nygz - Get 2 Tha Point | 03:12 |

03| Showbiz Ft. Fat Joe, Party Arty - On My Way | 04:50 |

04| Tef - Tefs Def Jam | 04:07 |

05| Alchemist Ft. Prodigy, Nina Sky, Ill Gee - Hold U | 05:46 |

06| Arcee - Super Educated | 04:25 |

07| Redman - Welcome to Gillahouse | 04:05 |

08| Pitch Black - Rep Tha Hardest | 04:18 |

09| .O.P. - Get Down | 02:42 |

10| Shyne Ft. Foxy Brown - The Gang | 04:03 |

11| Skillz - Take it Back | 06:14 |

12| Young Gunz Ft. Jay - Z-Never Take Me Alive | 04:37 |

13| Blaq Poet - Whats the Deal | 04:33 |

14| Bumpy Knuckles - Why Freestyle | 04:27 |

15| Diamond D - So Lovely | 02:47 |

16| Ghostface - Its Over | 04:35 |

17| Erick Sermon Ft. Whip, Talib Kweli - Chillin | 03:28 |

18| Murs 3 16 - And this is for | 04:34 |

19| Jadakiss - Still Feel Me

O.C. - Jewelz

i must remember to dig that out again.

I follow these threads fairly regularly and have picked up on a number of artists I like. I was wondering how most of you guys get your knowledge of what's going on? Living in south Scotland means I'm well out of the loop of any knowledgeable peeps, and out of range of a Fopp let alone any good independents .

I get my knowledge from searching the internet and recommendations from friends or here mostly.

I find its good to find out about new releases from www.hiphopsite.com and I buy my records from:

www.suspect-packages.com (uk stuff)

www.rootdownrecords.com (us indy stuff and reissues)

www.scenariorecords.com (more commercial as well as indy and leftfield ish)

www.rapandsoulmailorder.com (whatever I can't find on the other sites as well as books and stuff)

www.movemusics.com (Doom/MIC, weird stuff)

www.picadillyrecords.co.uk

www.juno.co.uk

Sandboxautomatic - An invaluable source of snippets from almost every undergound hip hop in the US.(needs realplayer or the Ace Megacodecs pack.

Ace mega codecs pack.

Ra The Rugged Man - Lessons

The first single from the debut album. I really like it. Checked out his older stuff and got a mixtape of freestyles which I'm also finding rather good.

I also discovered samples from Kool Keith and Fanatik - Return of Doctor Octagon. The album is currently in limbo with no clear release date. Figured some of you guys would wanna hear this so....

Kool Keith and Fanatik - The Return of Doctor Octagon Samples

1. Gorilla

2. The Return of Doctor Octagon

3. Roaches

4. Service of Construction

5. Service of Construction (Power 106 Radio live-static)

6. No Way7. It's the Morning8. Gorilla - television mix

9. Cocoa Butter

10. 27 Shots - Fanatik Gti mix

All I know about Fanatik is that I own an album from about 10 years ago called Seismic Activity by him. It was a collection of instrumentals that was ok but nothing to get too excited about.

Guest Cecil McBee

Speaking of Kool Keith, his 'Lost Masters' CD rocks my face. I know he's a love or leave kind of guy but for the appreciators his flows are as venomous, funny and fetishistic as ever. I'm getting pretty sick of slick generic beats - the seriously lofi rawness all over this is deeply refreshing. Keith sounds so much more inspired. Having said that I can't wait for the Deisel Truckers LP to drop. Kut Masta Kurt (slick though he often is) can do no wrong in my book.

Yeah man, Esar and Dai... nuff nuff safe safe peeps!  Cheers for the beer Dai aswell, owe you a pint next time.  :unsure:

Highlight of the evening for me was seeing Total Eclipse doing his mad juggles, or Kela's "Milkshake" ting!

I'll hold you to that Das :D

It was great to meet you and esar too, big up yourselves everytime!

It was a great weekend all in all...I even enjoyed the team battles! The UK crew, The Disablists, should have got a top placing I reckon, just for pulling off some nice and original visual tricks. C2C were very good though. It was a shame Blakey appeared to fuck up in the singles...and I missed the winner I-Emerge while talking to you guys! My mates said he deserved it though.

Highlight of the weekend was definitely the X-Ecutioners...simply superb. Closely followed by the Headcase Ladz, who I saw at the Jazz Cafe on Saturday night...they rocked it big time!

I saw Jehst on the Friday night too...bit of an all round Hip Hop weekend!

Yeah, I really like Ra. I've got an amazing track called 'Spitboxers' by him and a white MC where they kind of lyrically box each other but Ra starts every line with the word 'black' and the white MC with the word 'white'. Its pretty crazy.

Actually Boozy, if you like Ra you should check out Thirstin Howl.

I rate RA too, though I haven't heard him for ages. Thought he'd disappeared...cheers for the link Boozy.

Esar...Thirstin Howl is the man! I love his stuff, his raw as fuck, off-key rhymes crack me up...thought his last album had weak beats on it but the previous ones were great. I'm fascinated by him and his crew's obssession with Polo gear too :unsure:

Nice one for the Premier link too, will check that when I can. Looks very good.

@ Das...will dig out that OC album, haven't heard for a while meself.

@ devil-goh...Wrath Of The Math is a classic...have you heard his first one The Sun Rises In The East? Has one of all time favourites, Come Clean on it....that beat is a joke!

Something for all the UK heads to look forward to: www.uktakeover.net

Happenning in Nottingham on November 12TH. Lineup as follow:

Blak Twang

Estelle

Skinnyman

Klashnekoff

Kyza

Cappo

Jehst

Asaviour

Mr. Thing

Yungun

Duurty Goodz

Tempa

MistaJam

TL & Shinobi

Plus SPECIAL GUESTS!

May have to make the pilgrimage to see this :unsure:

I doubt it these days. Decent rock music is currently appearing in a slow trickle.

I do keep trying to get into hip hop. But for every good track I download I seem to download one I don't like.

I've got some Aesop Rock, Beasties, Outkast, The Roots, Atmosphere, cloudDEAD, but that's about it.

o MI gawd like get JAVINE like she is da most HIPPITY HOPPY artissste around!

Confession time for myself - I've only just bought some Big L albums and he's one of the best rappers I've heard. All I've ever heard before is the stuff he did with Gang Starr, but I've managed to grab a copy of The Big Picture and the Freestyle History album. What else is worth getting?

You can't kill me - I was born dead

Sadly that wasn't true :ph34r:

Ladies love Cool James?

No mate. You're just fat.

If thats who you mean, then he was always shite.

So wrong it hurts.

In other news I've been out of town and shit so not really been posting.

So here are the important points.

Das Tapen - got your CD, but not listened yet. I'm sure it's sick.

To whoever posted the Premo thing – thanks.

Jewelz and Wrath Of The Math. Both sick, especially the latter. Premo kills it. I think Jewels could do with losing 2 or 3 tracks.

Ladies love Cool James?

No mate. You're just fat.

If thats who you mean, then he was always shite.

Your mama should knock you out for that.

Listened to those Black Sheep preview tracks and I liked some of what I listened to. From what I heard I prefer the first, second and the fifth one, but I'm looking forward to hearing what the album will sound like as the original Black Sheep album is always getting played in my house.

Your mama should knock you out for that.

Yours should for using the phrase "your mama".

Just an opinion. LL Cool J is shite. Anyone who does a record with Jennifer Lopez should probably be put to sleep.

Again, an opinion. I'm in a certain mood tonight.

Paradise is very nice..

My God! What a revelation!

He's a genius, I'm sure.

Big up yourself Ben!

@David

have you ever heard Black Sheeps 2nd album Non-Fiction? 'Cos I haven't but my mate was saying those new tracks sound closer to it than the first album.

I'm looking forward to it anyway, the first album is flawless in my opinion.

@David

have you ever heard Black Sheeps 2nd album Non-Fiction? 'Cos I haven't but my mate was saying those new tracks sound closer to it than the first album.

I'm looking forward to it anyway, the first album is flawless in my opinion.

I haven't heard anything from 'Non-Fiction' either, but there are a couple of copies on the Amazon marketplace at the moment for about a fiver. Looking through the list they also have a 'Sacrifice' EP as well, which I might download a little bit later to see what thats like.

Just an opinion. LL Cool J is shite.

Your opinion, so fair play. But try and get some live video footage from the late 80's or thereabouts (anytime up till the 3rd album - I need love excepted-). The man was a real showman and could flow like fuck.

Then tell me he's shit.

I've never seen this mentioned before (and a quick search confirmed it) so here's a recommendation:

binary%20star-masters%20of%20the%20universe%20front%20cover.jpg

Released in 2000, It's discontinued now but it's one of the best underground albums I've heard. Lyrically tight as anything - they rock similies and metaphors incredibly.

Download The KGB, Glen Close, Masters of the Universe, Conquistadors, Wolf Man Jack and One Man Army from the usual sources.