September Hip Hop Recommendations

esar

Firstly, belated birthday greetings to Devil Goh...Hope you're enjoying Pharoahe Monch, I know I wish I was there!

@ Das, cheers for the CD's man, ain't had a chance to listen yet but I'll check 'em soon. Re. the end of the August thread...don't worry bout my man Chewy, your cuttin' is nice, he didn't even like Only Built For Cuban Linx the fucking weirdo!? ;)

@ Chewy...you didn't like Only Built For Cuban Linx??!! <_<

Also, I'm hittin' the DMC's this weekend, on both days, and will also be at Jazz Cafe in Camden on Saturday night for The Headcase Ladz gig...I strongly recommend any UK Hip Hop fans attend. Be good to hook up with anyone who'll be at either...PM me and I'll give you my number.

Peace.

Firstly, belated birthday greetings to Devil Goh...Hope you're enjoying Pharoahe Monch, I know I wish I was there!

@ Das, cheers for the CD's man, ain't had a chance to listen yet but I'll check 'em soon. Re. the end of the August thread...don't worry bout my man Chewy, your cuttin' is nice, he didn't even like Only Built For Cuban Linx the fucking weirdo!? :)

@ Chewy...you didn't like Only Built For Cuban Linx??!! ;)

Also, I'm hittin' the DMC's this weekend, on both days, and will also be at Jazz Cafe in Camden on Saturday night for The Headcase Ladz gig...I strongly recommend any UK Hip Hop fans attend. Be good to hook up with anyone who'll be at either...PM me and I'll give you my number.

Peace.

Go sort yourself out an avatar and stop your bitch boy! ;)

I've admitted i never gave either album/mixtape enough of a chance and now liking both of them. I still agree with somethings i said though but hey its only my opinion!! <_<

Anyway enjoy the DMC's you lot, love to be there myself but canna make it unfortunately.

Listening to DangerM's avatar last night.........Dangermouse has got some wicked production skills and i just love Jemini's rhymns and flow.

Can't wait for the Dangermouse/Doom collaboration. :D

Rawganics came through with a really good show last night. Skinnyman was probably the highlight. Shame I was working all night as it looked good fun down the front.

Security was a little excessive as well, with people getting thrown out for little more than energetic dancing :) .

Anyway bring on Ghostface :D

@Devil-Goh: Did you make it down there last night, as I didnt notice you?

Rawganics came through with a really good show last night. Skinnyman was probably the highlight. Shame I was working all night as it looked good fun down the front.

Security was a little excessive as well, with people getting thrown out for little more than energetic dancing :) .

Anyway bring on Ghostface :D

@Devil-Goh: Did you make it down there last night, as I didnt notice you?

Didnt make it. Fucking gutted. Rung them about 9.30 and they said sorry lads its too late to get in.

Was Pharoe good?

Rawganics came through with a really good show last night. Skinnyman was probably the highlight.  Shame I was working all night as it looked good fun down the front.

So he didn't run off stage half way through his set, kick the shit out of a heckler outside and then not come back like he did at my night? :)

How was Pharoahe Monch?

I didnt think it actually sold it in the end!

Phoroahe was ok, although pretty much going through the motions, as I think its getting towards the end of the tour. Pretty cool as I got their early to set up my pitch and he was going through the set, so I got to see him perform then as well.

Next month is now confirmed as theodore unit, klashnekoff and shortee blitz on October 14th.

Ill let you know when tickets are on sale, cos you cant afford to miss Ghostface :)

Actually skinnyman did get in a little bit of a ruckus with a guy in the crowd! He basically ripped the piss out of the bloke for about 10 minutes via a freestyle, the guy tryed to get on stage but he was pushed back into the crowd.

Everytime I see skinnyman he does something like that, its like its all planned out. getting a bit bored of it now.

There was a nasty fight (3 on 1 handicap match stylee) though right in front of my stall, thought all me stuff was going to get set flying.

Actually skinnyman did get in a little bit of a ruckus with a guy in the crowd! He basically ripped the piss out of the bloke for about 10 minutes via a freestyle, the guy tryed to get on stage but he was pushed back into the crowd.

Everytime I see skinnyman he does something like that, its like its all planned out. getting a bit bored of it now.

There was a nasty fight (3 on 1 handicap match stylee) though right in front of my stall, thought all me stuff was going to get set flying.

And I thought we were special! :)

When he was down this way, there was a guy shouting things like 'Fuck off back to London' etc for some unknown reason, and Skinny obviously took exception to this...though I didn't see the whole thing, the guy was being a prick from what I've heard. I thought Skinnyman seemed ok in person but you could definitely tell he can be proper aggro. And he could've done a full set the bastard!

Anyway, DMC's tomorrow B)

Yeah Dai, what time you getting down there? Me and Esar are gonna meet up before I think, I was thinking maybe an hour or so before though and maybe go for a beer before? Would be quite early though, bout 1ish. I have to meet my best mate and my little bro and his mate there aswell.

Yeah Dai, what time you getting down there?  Me and Esar are gonna meet up before I think, I was thinking maybe an hour or so before though and maybe go for a beer before?  Would be quite early though, bout 1ish.  I have to meet my best mate and my little bro and his mate there aswell.

I thought it started at 7?

I'm up for meeting for a beer beforehand, but I'm with two mates, so presuming they don't have other plans, it'll be cool. I've got esar's number and he's got mine. I'll PM you mine too now.

I don't know the area very well but there's pubs nearby yeah?

:) As tactful as ever man! He is a bit of a pikey actually isn't he? I do like his music though.

The guys just an idiot man. Granted he does have some talent, but I just think he's a disgusting person. Only time I saw him live he did exactly the same thing. Preached about "keeping the peace" then went and started a big ruck with a group of guys. It's a viscious circle, he beats people up for heckling, people heckle because he beats people up etc etc

I thought it started at 7?

I'm up for meeting for a beer beforehand, but I'm with two mates, so presuming they don't have other plans, it'll be cool. I've got esar's number and he's got mine. I'll PM you mine too now.

I don't know the area very well but there's pubs nearby yeah?

Starts at 2 according to my ticket. I'm getting my moneys worth!

I'm sure there are pubs a plenty, went there a few years back but can't remember.

Classic Material: The Hip Hop Album Guide

I got this the other day as a perfect partner to the afore mentioned Egotrip Book of HipHop Lists. This book of reviews is essential, intelligently written and on point. Read the Public Enemy reviews and if it doesn't make you dig out A Nation of Millions... or Fear of A Black Planet, I don't know what will.

I've heard/own the majority of the albums featured so each review picks up on something interesting that I missed or puts the album in context, I can't argue with any of their selections really. Buy it!

I'll be at the ghostface rawgenics thingy....m....m...m...MEET UNIT.

You a Cambridge lad will? Welcome to the hip hop thread.

Today I bought:

Large Proffesser-First Class

All good so far, a few people have cussed it a bit but I think its fucking ace, hot production.

Jeru The Damaja-Wrath Of The Math

Had for ages on Mini Disk, was cheap in HMV.

All good, Possibly Dj Premier' best work. One Day is really good.

Yeah man, Esar and Dai... nuff nuff safe safe peeps! Cheers for the beer Dai aswell, owe you a pint next time. :(

Highlight of the evening for me was seeing Total Eclipse doing his mad juggles, or Kela's "Milkshake" ting!

Was chatting with Esar and Dai last night and spoke about this album, so I thought I'd give it a little mention.

Jewelz.jpg

O.C. - Jewelz

A nice little album with a great line up of producers and guests. Premo, Buckwild, Organised Konfusion, Big L etc I'm a huge O.C fan, he's got a wicked flow and some nice concepts in a few tracks on the album ("The Crow" being one of them)

Definitely worth picking up for £10 or less. And if you don't know about the D.I.T.C glory days then quite a good album to get the ball rolling.

I follow these threads fairly regularly and have picked up on a number of artists I like. I was wondering how most of you guys get your knowledge of what's going on? Living in south Scotland means I'm well out of the loop of any knowledgeable peeps, and out of range of a Fopp let alone any good independents :D. There don't seem to be any really good hip hop magazines or websites to stay up to date on. I'm waiting on that book recommended from Amazon so that should be good but I've always been keen on knowing what goes on in and between groups and the scenes that occur so any help on that would be grand ;).