rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
Thread Owner

Acclaim Bust?

i just deleted my post by accident, so i'll do another quick version....

Why not? What's your basis for that conclusion?

I think games have reach a plateau where graphics aren't going to get much better...

There will be a point where everything will look great all the time, and Fifa 2008 won't look much different to the 2007 version at all. Look at the differences between Goldeneye and Red-Faction (years apart), graphically nothing is really 'that' different, you've still got a gun on-screen... theres the same bit of lens-flare and lighting... the only differences we're going to see is improved graphical tweaking (i.e. bump mapping, improved texture quality, better AI). The experience isn't changing dramatically enough. (i.e. 2d to 3d was a huge jump).

I don't know if i'm right or wrong either, but the problem with franchises is that they are regarded as a safe bet & when everything starts looking the same and providing a similiar experience we'll start seeing shit hitting fans, cats living with dogs etc...

I can't think of examples either to back up my claim, i don't know... er.... do i need to buy a new toaster? The new ones do exactly the same thing as the one i have already.

The answer is No, at least not until the old one stops working.

I can't think of examples either to back up my claim, i don't know... er.... do i need to buy a new toaster? The new ones do exactly the same thing as the one i have already.

The answer is No, at least not until the old one stops working.

Ah, but toasters aren't primarily for entertainment, so whether you get bored of them or not is a secondary concern.

All entertainment operates on the idea of something that isn't boring. YOu want to be entertained. Therefore, you are drawn to the sorts of things that have entertained you in the past. Et voila, a franchise is born.

James Bond got boring, but is still around because they change it around and make it interesting every few years with a new actor. Star Trek gets reinvented on a regular basis. There are TV series which go on for 10 years or more (simpsons, friends)... franchises aren't going to die out any time soon.

Just read your post Neuromancer... a good speech. :)

Maybe you're right about all that you've mentioned, uk dev's should be whoring themselves to safebet their future's and they should be acting like 'proper' businesses.

Maybe i'm taking the moral stance because i've been in the firing line, suffered from seeing a company i enjoyed working for fall apart so easily. I (and the other 17 people) wasn't one of the people that could make the decisions to safeguard our future... I was thinking about making our game better.

James Bond got boring, but is still around because they change it around and make it interesting every few years with a new actor. Star Trek gets reinvented on a regular basis. There are TV series which go on for 10 years or more (simpsons, friends)... franchises aren't going to die out any time soon.

The Tom Cruise and Madonna franchises have been going for 20+ years now with no sign of a let-up.

Franchises may not die out soon, but in 10 years time i'd like to think that there will be more than just Star Trek and James Bond to satisfy my cravings... if no-one supports new ideas, when will they appear?

Just read your post Neuromancer... a good speech. :)

Maybe you're right about all that you've mentioned, uk dev's should be whoring themselves to safebet their future's and they should be acting like 'proper' businesses.

Maybe i'm taking the moral stance because i've been in the firing line, suffered from seeing a company i enjoyed working for fall apart so easily. I (and the other 17 people) wasn't one of the people that could make the decisions to safeguard our future... I was thinking about making our game better.

I've been there too. It sucks balls.

Franchises may not die out soon, but in 10 years time i'd like to think that there will be more than just Star Trek and James Bond to satisfy my cravings... if no-one supports new ideas, when will they appear?

They do all the time. Take a look at the summer blockbuster schedule. It's always on the move. Even the franchises in question like Star Trek and Bond change with the times. They have to.

*shudders* I know that feeling too well.

Hopefully most of the develoeprs and IPs can be picked up by other publishers and it will be business as usual for the teams making successful, good games?

Well juiced is already available on the net so im guessing its already been made and boxed up ready to ship. Or at least finished and just needs to be distributed, which no doubt some publisher will buy at a super cut down price.

Its a shame, i did like acclaim, but sadly they show how bad the industry is, a few big hitters fail and you are out of pocket quicker than your notes through a hole in said pocket. Turok and bmx xxx basically killed them.

Just read on EuroGamer that Acclaim may file a Chapter 7 which would meen liquidation... now I know we all don't really care about acclaim as a company but we do care about it's dev teams, who will be screwed if acclaim files a chapter 7 and goes into liquidation as the ex employees will not get any redundancy money or any other money owed to them as liquidaters will pay off the big debts with the liquidated assets these wont be the dev team unfortunately. This same thing happend when Compouter Artworks closed! William Latham (SP) liquidated the company to avoid paying redundancy to all the staff (it would have been a fare whack of cash) which is really really low imo!

Cheers

Quexex

I too will miss Xtreme G. Bye-bye Acclaim. And to think, they were huge, once. Just shows what producing poor titles can do to a company, although, going by that, Atari should have gone under a while back.

I'm guessing he didn't have the money. Like Acclaim.

I'm guessing too however he's set up another devstudio to finish one of the games they were working on (so I'm informed) which would implie that there was some money kicking about...unless it's his personal stash!

I know a few ex CA people and that whole no redundancy cash no last months pay is a real stinker...

Cheers

Quexex

I'm guessing too however he's set up another devstudio to finish one of the games they were working on (so I'm informed) which would implie that there was some money kicking about...unless it's his personal stash!

I know a few ex CA people and that whole no redundancy cash no last months pay is a real stinker...

Cheers

Quexex

Get in line....

This industry's gotten so dodgy that it's becoming worth taking out employment insurance.

So, place your bets? Which will be the next (fairly) big publisher to fall?

I'd put my money on Midway. As I remember, Mortal Kombat is pretty much the only big seller they have these days.

Freaky Flyers just doesn't pull in the punters. :D

I'd put my money on Midway.

Agreed. I think Psi Ops is them, which may just delay the otherwise inevitable.

In fact I'm astonished Midway have survived as long as they have.

So, place your bets? Which will be the next (fairly) big publisher to fall?

I'd put my money on Midway. As I remember, Mortal Kombat is pretty much the only big seller they have these days.

Freaky Flyers just doesn't pull in the punters. :huh:

Midway aren't even close to being in trouble. Cash is king remember.

midway are probably makibng shitloads from the myriad of mobile licenses they are throwing out... they can survive in the US alone..

yanks like the crap they churn out.

B-b-b-but I wanted to play The Red Star.

This is a most vexing turn of events.

They've filed for Chapter 7 Bankruptcy in the USA. That means they are finished but all their assest will be sold to pay off debts. Any promising games are very likely to be picked up - perhaps with jobs for the dev team as well.

Ironically Acclaim aquired Software Creations in Manchester this way - picking up their assets immediately (pretty much) after they went bust.

The Tom Cruise and Madonna franchises have been going for 20+ years now with no sign of a let-up.

Divurging slightly, but rubbish.

Tom Cruise reinvents himself in every film, he's an actor FFS. Compare "Top Gun" to "Magnolia" and tell me there is no difference.

Same with Madonna, re-invents, re-packages, re-brands every other album. "OK, she's gone from virginal slut, to perky slut, to just plain slut, to "Earth Mother whos not a slut but looks like she would be a goer", but the point still stands.