'official Outrun 2 Thread'

peve

Can someone finally answer the question of whether the unlockable Outrun is a terrible, terrible version? I say it is (I remember the arcade original being so much better, and not just in a "rose-tinted specs" way), whereas Stu Campbell says it's an arcade-perfect conversion. I'm absolutely sure it's not. What does everyone else think?

Can someone finally answer the question of whether the unlockable Outrun is a terrible, terrible version? I say it is (I remember the arcade original being so much better, and not just in a "rose-tinted specs" way), whereas Stu Campbell says it's an arcade-perfect conversion. I'm absolutely sure it's not. What does everyone else think?

it's arcade-perfect. which is unfortunate because the original game remains terrible. I suppose people remember it being better than that, and so say it's a bad conversion :(

This might sound obvious, but why not get a wheel for the Xbox...?

---

Sol

---

I was just about to post a topic in ask the forum about decent wheels, they're never really up to standard though :(

played the console version for quite a while after I posted last night, was maybe a bit harsh, but an arcade standard setup would make it the best thing ever. ever.

or maybe I'll pull my finger out, do something with my life and buy a cab, or reant a transit, ramraid the nearest megabowl and chore the cunt

The OutRun contained within is the filthy, horrible bastardisation from Shenmue 2/Gameworks with the Testerossa put back in.

Therefore you have missing Porsches, muffled sounds, blocky visuals, messed up controls and so on.

The OutRun contained within is the filthy, horrible bastardisation from Shenmue 2/Gameworks with the Testerossa put back in.

Therefore you have missing Porsches, muffled sounds, blocky visuals, messed up controls and so on.

Shit, really? :)

It feels wrong somehow, I can't quite put my finger on it, but there's something lacking compared to the MAME version. It's certainly not bad, but there's that undefinable little something that isn't quite right.

I'm now on Stage 10 of mission mode (totalling around 65 missions) and at a loss as to imagine what else could be left to unlock. I'm assuming that it'll be just a few more cars and some music which is no bad thing.

Anyone completed mission mode yet?

Anyone else having the save bug?

65 missions completed yet the save profile is stuck on 21/101.

Luckily the completed missions still save.

odd...

**UPDATE**

Some people are reporting this over on the NTSC-uk forums too.

Looks like it is a bug...

No, not at all.

I was more gutted that I failed to hear the Sega scream to herald the arrival of this unlockable!

Just unlocked it. It's good - I must have been getting my versions confused.

But...I'm sure it's more blocky looking than the arcade version.

And the passing of 16 or so years has nothing to do with it B)

I would concur that you get Original OutRun for completing endings A-E in arcade mode - I would also concur that it's not 'arcade perfect' by any means - the sprite-cars are different and it just doesn't seem to 'flow' the way the original did (or even the MAME ROM frankly) - it also lacks that 'cabinet feel' of course ;)

OR2 makes it pretty redundant anyway tho - but it's nice that it's there I suppose.

I've completed Missions upto 10 now so I have 3 'hidden' cars and a couple of other items - I'm guessing there may be 1 more hidden car (although I saw all these 'hidden' ones in earlier races and I've seen no others so it will be 100% a surprise for me if there is) - 5 levels of missions + Bonus Stages is a lot of work just to unlock mirrored tracks a some nasty remixes tho so I'd like a surprise or 2 in there :D

Thats the problem when the UK get a game WAY ahead of the US - places like GameFaqs aren't able to furnish loads of 'spoilers' (they don't even list the game!!)

JP

p.s. I didn't get a "SAYYY-GAH" - at least not that I noticed - when I unlocked it either

DOH - there is an OutRun2 board at Gamefaqs - not that searching for "Out Run" or "OutRun" finds it ;)

http://boards.gamefaqs.com/gfaqs/gentopic.php?board=37602

Sol's been posting there too - tho he's refusing to reveal the secret of the chase cards tho - *damn*! :D

I've completed Mission 10 - got one more 'hidden' car and I do remember seeing it earlier on now (DOH!) - so I suspect that may be it, car-wise...

Much more to do tho!

JP

OR2 makes it pretty redundant anyway tho - but it's nice that it's there I suppose.

[...]

p.s. I didn't get a "SAYYY-GAH" - at least not that I noticed - when I unlocked it either

Neither did I. It was just there in the challenge mode (or whatever it's called) after I had finished the E route.

And as you said, it feels pretty redundant, much like the original Prince of Persia that you unlock in The Sands of Time. It's nice that it's there, I tried it twice after having unlocked it but I doubt I'll go back to it again.

Some codes are floating around for you lazy types.

Click For Spoiler
Unlock all cars - DREAMING

Unlock all music - RADIOSEGA

Unlock reversed tracks - DESREVER

Unlock bonus tracks - TIMELESS

Unlock all missions - THEJOURNEY

Nothing special there really. Hopefully there's stuff hidden deeper...