'official Outrun 2 Thread'

peve

I had 4 'Disc may be dirty or damaged' crashes while playing the SP last night. This was on a sealed copy from Gameplay. Anyone else suffering from this (my Xbox is a launch model)

I've had it once this evening.

Well, I've been enjoying Outrun 2 immensely, in between night shifts this weekend.

The missions in mission mode are entertaining and unusual and getting quite difficult now.

The online side of things hasn't been too bad, although it seems a bit laggier than the demo for some reason. I ended up in some kind of yellow void in one race. The background started blurring and leaving trails, then I was there.... in the void. True story.

The only other problem I've found is with the bonus tracks and a slightly stuttering camera, which is a little off putting.

Overall though, a really vibrant, entertaining and fun game. Easy to pick up but difficult to master.

I had 4 'Disc may be dirty or damaged' crashes while playing the SP last night. This was on a sealed copy from Gameplay. Anyone else suffering from this (my Xbox is a launch model)

.::: If it's happening with other games as well, phone MS as soon as possible for repairs (and pray to god they will repair free of charge).

I really like it, unfortunatly though I've only been able to play for a couple of hours but so far its everything I hoped it will be - an out and out videogame. I'm one of those that would have been very happy paying full price for a straight conversion as long as it was accurate, and this is and the extra modes look brilliant. I will be playing this for months if not years to come. It will certainly be first choice for when I need a quick 30 minute gaming fix.

Reading here about the online gubbins has got me even more excited, hopefully I'll be on Live by the end of the month.

It really has achieved its goal, its a great arcade game.

I honestly cannot see how anyone could be disappointed with OutRun2 unless they were totally unrealistic in their expectations upfront.

Bear in mind that it's OutRun - take a long look at the original and remember that there are some things which cannot be changed and still make it 'OutRun' - and then tell me what else you expected?

Bear-in-mind that it was, first-and-foremost, designed as an 'arcade' (as in cabinet and £1 coins - 2 mins play etc.) game and that I'm sure Sumo had limited scope and budget to turn that into a more 'complete' experience and tell me what else you'd have liked regardless of that?

We have the arcade modes in their entirity - we have Challenge Mode which gives you unlockables galore - we have online racing - we have system link racing - we have Time Attack (with online scores) - what else did you expect exactly?

My requests are totally confined to sound (more engine noises and get rid of the "Scooby-Doo screeches to a halt" skidding noise please ;) and the ability to see the high-score tables without sitting for 5 mins on the start screen - oh and what is this 186mph top speed bobbins? :blink:

Otherwise I'm more than delighted - and if you're not, I'd suggest that you should never have bought it in the first place as you're obviously not an 'OutRun' person...

OR2 does not have to better BO3 or anything else - it's OutRun with knobs on and that should be enough for anyone IMO

Thx

JP

We have the arcade modes in their entirity - we have Challenge Mode which gives you unlockables galore - we have online racing - we have system link racing - we have Time Attack (with online scores) - what else did you expect exactly?

You know what, I would have been just as happy with only the original arcade modes and Live play (which I haven't even tried yet...). Going through the arcade tracks just doesn't get old, and if you happen to grow bored with one route, then by all means go for another. The great thing about them is that they have tons of character and are all memorable.

Spent a couple of hours tonight on the heart attack and arcade modes. Have only unlocked the GTO so far but thankfully every car has a character of its own. To be honest, I think the mission mode is the worst part of the game. Somehow it lacks a bit of the flow of the arcade modes.

Anyway, this game is fucking excellent - pure arcade fun the way it's meant to be. For me, it's the best racer of this generation.

I'm enjoying mission mode, but boy does it get hard quickly. Just spent 45 mins on one of the races... says something about the game that even though it was tough, once I had got an A on the race I restarted straight away and tried for a AA or AAA.

The only way this game is crap is if the player is crap at it.

Too many people today completely fail to understand the concept of a videogame or competitive play.

I agree. Too many seem to forget its meant to be about having fun.

I'm going to return Outrun 2. Its certainly a fun game in its own way, but its not quite my cup of chai. I can see why people love it though, it's the VF4 Evo of driving games.

I'm enjoying mission mode, but boy does it get hard quickly. Just spent 45 mins on one of the races... says something about the game that even though it was tough, once I had got an A on the race I restarted straight away and tried for a AA or AAA.

the ones where you have to stick above a maximum speed make me want to COMMIT MURDER.

I still love it, but I finally got to play the arcade version earlier and it's so much better with a big hefty wheel and pedels and some asian guys laughing at your first pathetic attempts (but giving grudging respect after I clicked and started pulling perfect massive slides) that it makes me very sad, almost sad enough not to boot up the xbox version again.

I still love it, but I finally got to play the arcade version earlier and it's so much better with a big hefty wheel and pedels and some asian guys laughing at your first pathetic attempts (but giving grudging respect after I clicked and started pulling perfect massive slides) that it makes me very sad, almost sad enough not to boot up the xbox version again.

This might sound obvious, but why not get a wheel for the Xbox...?

---

Sol

---

I must say I think it works just fine with the Controller S.

I'm with Duncan regarding some of the challenges (the maximum speed ones in particular) - they can be incredibly frustrating.

S0L, please please give us a code to unlock everything. I don't really enjoy the missions: they're a means to an end for me. With a code I can get to what I really want to do with the game, which is plough through the arcade mode, on all the tracks, in all the cars, with all the music, over and over again.

Microsoft Xbox Charts

TW     LW     

1         1           Star Wars: Battlefront  

2         3           Tiger Woods PGA Tour 2005 

3         2           Burnout 3: Takedown

4         NE         Outrun 2  

5         NE         Def Jam Fight For Ny  

6         5           Colin McRae Rally 2005 

7         NE         Psi-Ops: The Mindgate Conspiracy  

8         4           Conflict: Vietnam

9         NE         Rocky Legends  

10       7           Shellshock: Nam '67

;) or :D SOL? Does this meet with your predictions?

At least it managed highest new entry...

It's still my number one game of the year though.

**EDIT**

Only charted at 21 in the all formats chart. :(

Damn you joe public! ;)

er, I've just finished arcade mode with all 5 GOALs (A to E) and got the SEGA! sound effect. what have I unlocked? I can't find anything new at all.

Supposedly the original Outrun...

Have only done A and B so far myself so I wouldn't know.