'official Outrun 2 Thread'

peve

I mean it in the sense of the way Rare used to put fantastic engines inside their games and throw them away with a 5 minute sequence. The arrogant way they said 'look what we can do'. Outrun is just so slight. Theres nothing at all to it. Its got depth in a way, like Pacman has depth. You can get skilled at it if you put the time in but at the end of the day you have Halo 2 coming soon. Outrun just cant compete for my time against something like that.

I mean it in the sense of the way Rare used to put fantastic engines inside their games and throw them away with a 5 minute sequence. The arrogant way they said 'look what we can do'. Outrun is just so slight. Theres nothing at all to it.  Its got depth in a way, like Pacman has depth. You can get skilled at it if you put the time in but at the end of the day you have Halo 2 coming soon. Outrun just cant compete for my time against something like that.

Wait... but Pacman's shit.

And yes, 99% of people will drop like a piece of white hot rock when Halo 2's out but that's a month away.

Burai's here - you're screwed. :)

:)

See, I can see how someone with no real desire to actually play a game might think that OutRun2 is completely depth-free.

All most people want is a beginning, middle and end.

Burnout 3 provides this in so much that it keeps dangling carrots in front of you to chase. It even has a list of targets that you must achieve in the options menu. It says if you keep playing and win more GP's, you'll get another gold medal and maybe, just maybe you'll unlock another car. Sure, said car is EXACTLY the same as the car you currently have, save for a new paint job, but it's a carrot nonetheless... You could get the undrivable Champ Car next! Or an A-Team van that you can't use anywhere!

Once all this is done, you'll get the ending sequence and that's the end of that. Off to the shops to be traded in for Pro Evo 4 or San Andreas.

OutRun 2 does attempt to offer the casual-baiting carrots in its mission mode. But this, IMO, is where the game is at its weakest. As I said before, some of the challenges are just so utterly against what AM2 originally did in Heart Attack it's untrue. I just want all the cars and tracks now and working out whether it was a melon or a cherry is just a time waster.

But once you've cleared that, this is where the casual gamer will lose interest and drop off. There are no more superficial carrots to chase.

However, those with the desire to actually play the game get the yummiest carrot of all: Live Time Attack. It's already very competitive and the game has only been out 3 days. These players are the people who OutRun 2 was aimed at. They'll spend hours studying each others lines and tactics and from there on in, the desire to be the best is the driving force.

This is where the depth is. You think you know how to play OutRun 2? You think you've mastered this shallow minigame?

You don't know shit.

Or course detractors like Angel won't get the point. All they want is to play through a series of set pieces and get to the end credits. That's cool. I can understand that many people won't have the time and patience or even understanding to want to actually play to compete. They want an interactive movie that makes all the decisions for them. They mistake the time it takes to get to the end credits as "depth", when it's not. It's just an artifical prolonging of the experience.

But that's their loss. OutRun 2? It just ain't for you.

However, those with the desire to actually play the game get the yummiest carrot of all: Live Time Attack. It's already very competitive and the game has only been out 3 days. These players are the people who OutRun 2 was aimed at. They'll spend hours studying each others lines and tactics and from there on in, the desire to be the best is the driving force.

While I can see your point here, I'd rather do that on PGR2 which is so much more satisfying as a racer.

"Aint for you" meaning some people like it some dont. Thats fine, i dont, im not saying its a bad game. Just I think it is. Just me. I think the driving engine is crap. The '30 seconds of enjoyable gameplay repeated' mantra of Halo just isnt present for me. No satisfaction in the drift, no joy, no speed to the thing. Thats all.

Also, a forum member has arrived, now im screwed? Well you disagree with me. Thats fine too. I think this forum is great and only find Cacy to be a bit of a chore. Even then he seems sound deep down and iv got no probs with anyone. So a forum member is here to destroy my opinions seems a bit silly.

I know O2 has some depth but is just the skill of driving well..which i find has less of a curve than Burnout 3 nevermind something more devoted to simulating a car.

So im sure the missions are fun but if i dont like basics, convoluting it isnt going to convert me. And this is my opinion, im offering a different one to most people. So even for the sake of balanced discussion thats a good thing.

So im still reading with a smile on my face, sitting near a copy (original) of O2 which i dont resent but dont enjoy. And i like reading contradictory opnions to my own. Sometimes an argument so sound converts me and i end up enjoying a game.

So im still reading with a smile on my face, sitting near a copy (original) of O2 which i dont resent but dont enjoy. And i like reading contradictory opnions to my own. Sometimes an argument so sound converts me and i end up enjoying a game.

your argument is basically that it's apparently rather shallow though, isn't it? Hence the comparison to Pacman.

You know it's a conversion of an arcade game, yeah?

And burai - what's wrong with Mission mode then? Aside from maximum speed, which pisses me off more than most of Burnout 3, there are some geniunely innovative ideas in there. I LOVE the maths ones. And the photo ones.

Im saying its shallow and has a flawed driving engine. 90 degree drifts look and feel ridiculous.

Also the skidding effect must be a cheeky joke. Its straight out of a Warner Bros cartoon.

It looks and feels ridiculously cool you mean?

Im saying its shallow and has a flawed driving engine. 90 degree drifts look and feel ridiculous.

Also the skidding effect must be a cheeky joke. Its straight out of a Warner Bros cartoon.

that thing I said about it being an arcade game.

It's not a 'real driving simulator'

but hey, your'e entitled to your own opinion, I suppose. Of course, it's about as realistic as, say, burning up a road at 300 MPH, tapping into a car and TAKING IT DOWN.

Flint Paper mentioned his times/ranking last night and I thought 'ooh, I'll give that a go'. Quick blast before bed. It was 1am when I started. Pure ADDICTION. I eventually fell into bed at gone 5am and think I've done quite well to be up now.

but hey, your'e entitled to your own opinion, I suppose. Of course, it's about as realistic as, say, burning up a road at 300 MPH, tapping into a car and TAKING IT DOWN.

Hit a car in BO3 and i gain an advantage. Outrun i slow down. Im playing a game, i dont want to slow down on every single collision no matter if its in my favour or not. Outrun is just old in its stylings. Old ideas, old physics, old traditions with a lick of paint. I cant play a game that ignores decades of learned lessons of game design.

Hit a car in BO3 and i gain an advantage. Outrun i slow down. Im playing a game, i dont want to slow down on every single collision no matter if its in my favour or not. Outrun is just old in its stylings. Old ideas, old physics, old traditions with a lick of paint. I cant play a game that ignores decades of learned lessons of game design.

It's been said before but it's horses for courses. You don't like Outrun2, lots of us are loving it. It's certainly eating up far more hours, far more quickly, than any other game I've played recently. I'm another one who had a quick look at the Live time Attack rankings and ended up putting in another three hours worth last night, finally collapsing at four a.m. Addictive as crack off Kelly Brooks arse.

I'm loving Burnout 3 too so I'm like a dog with two tails racing game wise. Couldn't choose on over the other right now.

Outrun is about avoiding hitting other cars, though...I'm sure you're aware of that, but it seems a little silly to complain about such a thing. I mean, in 99% of other racing games, that's the situation too - hit another car and slow down. :)

Outrun is about avoiding hitting other cars, though...I'm sure you're aware of that, but it seems a little silly to complain about such a thing.  I mean, in 99% of other racing games, that's the situation too - hit another car and slow down. :)

I have to admit, the collisions in OR2 on the mission mode races are often very unfair, stopping you dead and giving a boost to the car you hit.

Obviously, you shouldn't be hitting them, but the collisions should be more forgiving anyway, IMO.

This thread has been particularly entertaining and informative for a few weeks now, with special reference to SOL who has kindly contributed on the odd occasion. Though frankly I wouldn't be surprised if he hasn't just fucked off and left due to this banal conversational mediocrity that has manifested throughout the last few pages.

For fuck sake, can we just stop comparing Outrun2 with Burnout 3.

BBC Review

The game offers a repetition of five-minute perfectly-packaged thrills - and that's about it. There are other modes - including Time Attack and Heart Attack- but they are lightweight distractions from the main game.

:) No mention of mission mode then...

Outrun 2's biggest problem is that it is in direct competition with EA's racer Burnout 3.

:):D:angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry:

For Fuck SAKE!!!!!!!

I spent some time on the Live Time Attack, racing ghosts, etc. This is where the Live play makes a lot of sense. I need a lot more gaming time to really apply myself on this though, gaming time I , alas, do not have :)