'official Outrun 2 Thread'

peve

Did anyone find any slowdown once you completed a stage in 101 mission mode? The video sequence stutters 3 times then continues on as normal

Just annoying tha's all

This is a strange issue...

As I said earlier, after over three hours of play I have seen NONE at all.

Can we at least verify that we are all playing Outrun2 in 60Hz/Pal60 mode?

I'll have to try it on another TV but yes at the moment 60hz PAL. Please don't say I got a duff copy...

No, there IS slowdown or frameskipping (hard to tell) on my version (yes it's on PAL 60 and set to PAL bios) but it's very minor really.

Isn't that a bit of a misleading excuse? Online race routes are decided by which way the leading car goes... couldn't you just have done that for split-screen? Can't you just admit that it wasn't technically possible to get a split-screen mode running well?

Love your game, by the way, but my girlfriend's well annoyed that she can't join in races with me.

No, and I'll explain in a little bit more detail...

We hold can hold one and half stages in memory at once, that being the stage you are on and the bunki (junction). When you cross onto the bunki, we throw the level away and load in the next.

Now, say you've got two players. One is way better than the other, or one is snoozing/on the bog/dead. The first player crosses onto the bunki, but the second is still on Palm Beach. Now, what do we do here? We can't throw Palm Beach away, Player 2 is happily staring at the waves lapping on the beach. We've got no way of loading Deeplake in, because we'll run out of memory and the whole thing will go distinctly pear shaped.

Yes, given another 6 months, we might have been able to make it work, but only with a major sacrifice in detail and framerate. You're moaning if it drops the occasional frame as it is, so I think at the end of the day we made the right decision.

Does this make more sense? Can we stop being accused of being lazy and technically inept?

Buy your girlfriend an Xbox :D

As to the PGR2 comparison, you go round and round and round in circles. Not across a set of diverse and different levels in the course of a race. Not that there is anything wrong with PGR2, personally I love it, just you are very much comparing apples with oranges :huh:

Must be getting close to beer time. I can feel my usual sunny outlook on life dropping through the floor.

---

Sol

---

Isn't that a bit of a misleading excuse? Online race routes are decided by which way the leading car goes... couldn't you just have done that for split-screen? Can't you just admit that it wasn't technically possible to get a split-screen mode running well?

on live and system link each xbox only has one player and so only needs one level in RAM. it doesn't need to store levels other players might be in.

if there was a splitscreen mode, the xbox would require full storage of both levels if one player lags behind.

Just jumped on this and after about an hour doing the first two stages of the missions (among doing other stuff) decided to take a look on live.

I've not raced anyone yet, but it seems half of rllmuk are in the top 100 ranked players :huh:

I've seen Burai, Haribo, Flint Paper, Strider, Sabre, sega kid, disco stu among many others at the high end of the rankings.

Hopefully in a few hours i'll be joining them :D

It's a bit bloody good, isn't it. The drifting mechanic is just amazingly good. Steering through traffic, sideways!, with such fluid ease is the skill! And it's cracking on line. And it looks amazing. That Paris level. :huh: Didn't think much to the scud racer levels. The levels are designed for the Outrun 2 Drift style. Still, excellent stuff. And love the muzak too. All good. Yes. And online just makes me weep at what a fucking shambles Burnout 3 was. :cry:

Someone who agrees with me. Its slow and crap. Burnout just storms away with the best driving game title. If BO3 came out after Outrun then people would prefer BO3.

Its only the Sega kudos thats keeping O2 in peoples attention. If it wasnt a Ferrari, called O2 but was identical then it would be laughed out of court.

Edited spelling and adding that this is only my opinion and i dont think anyone is stupid for liking Outrun. Most enjoyable to read the developers opinions too.

Remember everyone, we all like different things and one man's meat is another man's poison, etc. Respect others opinions and don't be mean to people over things that are ultimately, in the grand scheme of the universe, really not important.

Right, now that's out of the way, all I have to say is that if you don't like this game, you're a massive cunt and I hope you end up with tramp AIDS in a burning Austin Maestro in the middle of a warzone. On an asteroid. On a collision course with the sun.

A Testarossa - the MSS - drifting for half a mile - Godlike.

Well, this is great fun (for now, at least) - but I agree that the unlockable stuff is largely a waste of time so far. I've also had quite a few experiences of frame rate problems, but they don't detract from the excellence of the experience any; the sudden appearence of a purple void in the middle of misson 7.6 did, though (luckily it was a friendly purple void which just bounced my car to and fro in perpetual motion rather than, say, compress me into the size of a dried pea and spit me out into an alternative dimension, or I might not have been able to bring you this news).

Aside from that disctraction, it's a game that brings more smiles per mile than the arcade version did, which is all you can ask for really - this uber-drifting is a kind of opium, I think. The racing doesn't bring the nervous, exhilarated giggles of BO3, more a kind of chilled bliss. Which is nice.

So nice, in fact, I think I'll have a pop online in 10 minutes to see if that's as relaxing :) . Maybe see some of you there.