'official Outrun 2 Thread'

peve

Outrun 2 is simply the most lush and pleasurable videogame i've played in as long as i can remember. once you start getting the hang of the drifts they are so, so satisfying i cannot begin to explain.

the scenary and the views are breathtaking and the draw distance astonishing. but what i love about how it looks is that it looks like a videogame, sure it's technically amazing but i wouldn't call it realism. it's hyper-real, just like those crazy (yet incredibly subtle) drifts.

there's oodles of extra stuff for those worried about longevity but you needed have. i've been playing it all day and i never tire of just taking in the views and finely adjusting the throttle and brake to get those lovely, lovely drifts as perfect as i can.

it's a firm reminder of why you love videogames; it's just so much fun.

Just been playing this for a couple of hours:

8 player Xbox Live: fun fun fun

Arcade mode: solid and very fun

Challenge mode: fun but gets hard quite quickly

Xbox Live time trial: could be very addictive

As fun as single player is, you're mainly going to justify your £30 online after a couple of days unlocking stuff.

Unlockables:

Click For Spoiler

Splash Wave - Euro Remix (song)

Clear all Stage 0 Missions

Palm Beach - Reversed (track)

Magical Sound Shower (song)

Ferrari 288 GTO (car)

Clear all Stage 1 Missions

DeepLake - Reversed (track)

Passing Breeze - Euro Remix (song)

Ferrari Testarossa (car)

Clear all Stage 2 Missions

Alpine - Reversed (track)

Splash Wave - 1986 (song)

Ferrari F40 (car)

Clear all Stage 3 Missions

Castle Wall - Reversed (track)

Magical Sound Shower - 1986 (song)

Bonus Stage 1 (track)

Clear all Stage 4 Missions

Desert - Reversed (track)

Risky Ride - Guitar Mix (song)

Bonus Stage 2 (track)

Clear all Stage 6 Missions

Cloudy Highland - Reversed (track)

Shiny World - Prototype (song)

Ferrari 328 GTS (car)

Clear all Stage 7 Missions

Outrun 2 is simply the most lush and pleasurable videogame i've played in as long as i can remember. once you start getting the hang of the drifts they are so, so satisfying i cannot begin to explain.

the scenary and the views are breathtaking and the draw distance astonishing. but what i love about how it looks is that it looks like a videogame, sure it's technically amazing but i wouldn't call it realism. it's hyper-real, just like those crazy (yet incredibly subtle) drifts.

there's oodles of extra stuff for those worried about longevity but you needed have. i've been playing it all day and i never tire of just taking in the views and finely adjusting the throttle and brake to get those lovely, lovely drifts as perfect as i can.

it's a firm reminder of why you love videogames; it's just so much fun.

Couldn't agree more. I've been playing it for the last 2 hours or so and I just love it, love it, love it. :unsure:

[edge]Sublime![/edge]

OMG! SUMO SUXX!

My yarred save doesn't work. WHAT SORT OF DEVELOPERS ARE THEY!

They expect me to play though the game AGAIN! I spent ALL THAT TIME on the yarr and now it's GONE!

Slack! My copy is going BACK to the shop!

:D

I'll have to love OutRun2 ALL OVER AGAIN ;)

Ahem...

They did

;)

Noisey buggers

I can't defend the slowdown. IT WAS TERRIBLE in one 7 Player game I had :D but as I said cleared up after the first corner or so.

To be honest you were the only one who could keep up with me so maybe thats why there was more slowdown in our races. Not good. Still enjoyed my session.

If it proves a persistant problem it would be dissappointing, especially as everything else seems so right. It's the Anti-Burnout 3 when it comes to getting games etc but maybe, in-game, Burnouts completely lag free gaming has to be admired.

Right I am back,

I've not been arse-stroking Yarrr merchants for deming games to their mates, instead I've been on a top secret beer drinking assignment to London. Almost the same thing for a Northern lad like me, but without the messy hands.

Anyway, the Soundtrack Issue. I only heard about this a while back and I've got no idea of who is doing it. What I do know is it is a limited edition and you can identify the copies that have it by the 'Limited Edition' sticker on the box.

I'm gutted, as I didn't get one with my copy, but I guess I at least can resort to attempting to acquire one from Sega.

It's unlikely that I'll be able to garner enough copies of said soundtrack CD to pass on, but if I suddenly come into a hidden cache then I'll attempt to do the right thing and sell them on ebay. No, I mean hand them out through some means.

Live-wise, I've noticed it drop frames now and again, but not so bad as mentioned here. Anyone else having the same experience?

---

Sol

---

Still looks like the same catch up problems are there, too. Cars jumping back and forth, but it's not quite as bad as the demo.

Not very positive this evening, really. Fact: the actual racing is a giant lovely.

Edit - Actually, the last few catch up games have been clean - perhaps it was just lag the other times.

Just wanted to say that I am not a fan of racers, and having watched my friend play a lot of Burnout 3 (about 80% complete), I haven't wanted to play it at all.

So lucky for me that Outrun 2 is a complete contrast; pure, unexhilerated, unbridled joy; the graphics are beautiful, the music is great (even after listening to Splash Wave many, many times), and even though I have yet to complete even the easy course (best effort is checkpoint 4), I know that it is nothing to do with programming flaws, but my crappy driving technique. And the real clincher is the fact that I actually *want* to try again.

Some day all games will be made this way. ;)