'official Outrun 2 Thread'

peve

Ridge Racer is one of the greatest games of all time in my opinion.

I just don't like the limitations imposed due to it's (OR2) arcade nature. You can't actually turn and drive the wrong way can you? It's restrictive and shallow because it was meant for arcade.

Why does none of what I am saying make any sense? I think I've explained myself pretty well and come up with some valid points as to why the controls, graphics and, in particular branching system aren't to the standard I expected.

it's not shallow because you're against the course and the clock, and the goal is to get to the end faster than you've done before (or faster than anyone has). this is what an arcade racer is. the handling engine on OR2 is far deeper than that on BO3 (where turning at all is just an afterthought and usually not really necessary) and, because of the way the courses are designed (massive curves and chicanes etc) positively encourages a strive for perfection. that's what an arcade racer is.

and granted, it's the purest arcade racer I've ever seen; and if it's too pure for you, fine. it doesn't have any illusions of realistic physics or suchlike. but everything about it is deliberate and tuned to perfection IMO, and I can't see why anyone playing it could possibly not be grinning like an idiot :P

I just sampled this on my mates Xbox...

...Oh dear...

OutRun2 is not a game to buy an Xbox for. I was highly disappointed. There is bugger all to it... the segregation of the stages is incredibly silly and outdated and the repeated connecting track between them is plain lazy. Furthermore some of the stages aren't even that pretty. And then there is the bad collision detection. And the incredibly restricted movement.

I'm sorry but I'm not a fan at all. Burnout 3 pisses all over it in EVERY department.

The only reason this game is getting the hype is because of it's iconic nature and typically the opening stage is by far the strongest.

So I switched off OutRun2 and turned on Fable... oh my... Fable :wub: What a wonderful game. This really will sell Xboxes.

Are you deliberately contrary for the sake of it?

I'm not saying that you're not allowed to have your own opinion, but your reasoning for why you don't like it is flawed to say the least.

"It's not like burnout 3"

Gran Turismo isn't like burnout 3, but I don't compare the two.

I got to the last hard stage on my third attempt. The game's piss easy and stupidly short.

I absolutely HATE the way the sections are divided up, it's just horrible design.

The graphics are nothing that spectacular and could've easily been done on PS2.

And the drifting just feels wrong. The controls are very restrictive (eg. auto straightening when you get out of a corner).

Too much retro, not enough progress.

I'd give it 5/10.

I got to the last hard stage on my third attempt. The game's piss easy and stupidly short.

Which difficulty level was the game set at though? I plan to start this on the hardest difficulty level as I did with the demo, much more of a challenge.

I absolutely HATE the way the sections are divided up, it's just horrible design.

Dont be silly, that is classic outrun right there, its done like that deliberately!

Right there is were you give the game away, you really are trying to be contraire.

And the drifting just feels wrong. The controls are very restrictive (eg. auto straightening when you get out of a corner).

That doesnt sound right at all, I never noticed that on the demo and I played it to death for days

And once again, what the fuck version is it everyone's playing?

The review code I played had NONE of the issues that some of you are picking at.

playing the review code here and it does have slowdown when there is a lot of traffic on the screen.

however it's not camera chugging slowdown where you skip frames, the game does just literally go into slow motion for a second or so.

you don't race against traffic, you drift beautifully through traffic.

it's the one thing i've loved in Outrun 2, the traffic.

so nice after playing Burnout 3 where every other sentance was

"ah where the fuck did that tram come from"

"who the hell put a pile of cars there, how am i supposed to drift round the corners"

" arrrrrrhhh stupid blue cars"

followed promptly by the use of the power button.

I have to take issue with your complaint about the drifting stu, it's the most fun feature of any arcade racer I've played years. Going into a drift, sliding between a truck and a car, straightening up and accelerating into the distance... fabtastic!

Oh and Stu IS right about the autoalign coming out of a powerslide, there is a little help from the game when you are doing this... well as far as I have read in afew threads that is. I think Saurian or another OR2 nut mentioned it on NTSC-UK.

it's not shallow because you're against the course and the clock, and the goal is to get to the end faster than you've done before (or faster than anyone has). this is what an arcade racer is. the handling engine on OR2 is far deeper than that on BO3 (where turning at all is just an afterthought and usually not really necessary) and, because of the way the courses are designed (massive curves and chicanes etc) positively encourages a strive for perfection. that's what an arcade racer is.

and granted, it's the purest arcade racer I've ever seen; and if it's too pure for you, fine. it doesn't have any illusions of realistic physics or suchlike. but everything about it is deliberate and tuned to perfection IMO, and I can't see why anyone playing it could possibly not be grinning like an idiot :P

Turning is not necessary in BO3? I guess this would be wholly dependent on wether you actually wanted to win any races.

Come on line and play a few games (im only assuming you havent because of the points you raise and that I havent seen you), and you may be pleasantly suprised just how much skil, you do need.

Normal.

It was done like that deliberately 17 years ago. We've moved on. You say it's "classic" I say it looks cack. It's lazy. Why couldn't they integrate the forks into the different areas? Would this really have detracted from the OurRun feel? You can't deny it would've made the game flow better instead of looking like a series of five (short) levels.

Not at all. Burnout 3 looks better. I dare say GT4 will. The only courses I could see that would cause problems for a PS2 were Palm Beach, Desert and possibly Industrial Complex. And these could easily be toned down without any severe detriment to how the game looks/plays. And there was a load of popup on the Xbox version! Also a couple of areas look shit: Cloudy Highland, Ghost Forest.

Are you sure? I think you'll find that when you drift round a corner and hit the straight your car tends to auto-align itself back on track (a la Ridge Racer).

The only point left to reply to is on the straightening up bit I think.

If it is the case I dont see it as a detrement, its obviously fairly well integrated into the gaming mechanic cause I never noticed that the computer was adjusting my driving for me.

You dont like it, its not a crime, I just dont think you have put forward any truly decent reasons as to why? Maybe you had too high expectations (it was going to make you buy an x box you claimed), maybe you just never played it long enough. Who knows, from what I have seen and heard though it looks like being your loss.

My point was the things I dislike are the parts that stick rigidly to the previous game:

The way the branching is implemented.

The way the skies change at these branches etc. looks stupid and is only included because that's how they did it back in 1986.

The restricted handling. No matter what the scenery you are essentially just travelling down a one way tunnel.

Just because the original game was good for it's time doesn't mean this is good for it's time. Graphically it is ocassionally impressive, but as it has been tailored to the arcade market it seems incredibly shallow and dated to me.

We're not going to agree on this so let's just leave it there.  :P

You're missing the entire point of this game then. It's Outrun 2, a sequel to Outrun and I'd be shocked from it's design if it wasn't squarely aimed at fans of the original.

It sets out to do exactly what it wants, to give a new Outrun experience to fans of the series who have long dreamed of the chance to play a new version of the game. It's arcade racers at it's purest, maybe a tad old skool for some, but sheer joy to those who have dreamed of this game for years.

It's not trying to be Need for Burnout Speed Deluxe Edition, it's Outrun Special Edition for those of us who spent far too much money in a smokey arcade in the 80's. In other words for me and other ageing Outrun fans it's a game we've wanted SEGA to make for many a long year.

:P You do know that the difficulty level alters depending which route you take, don't you?

What, the slip-roads which bridge the gap between each level? Have you been to the US? This is actually quite similar to how their road layouts are.

:D

You are joking, right? I'm sure the PS2 could have had a good go at churning these graphics out, but it would be pop-up and jaggie heaven without a doubt.

Stu, it's based on the arcade title. Most people don't want to be fart arsing around with 100% real world physics. The whole point of the game is shaving split seconds off your time, trying to get round the course without a single crash, and enjoying the environments you travel through.

Too much retro, not enough progress.

I'd give it 5/10.

Go back to your PC racing sims :D

Rob

ah the graphics.

as i was playing sytem link yesterday i remarked "woah that's one hell of a view"

to which my compadre replied "what the bit when you come over the hill by the pyramid"

the game is lush.

also as a Burnout 1 and 2 veteran i take offence at you saying only the skilled can get on with Burnout 3.

it's not skill when i fly round a blind corner into a wall of traffic that blocks my way. i've done my part it's just pure luck from then on in.

likewise when you come to a junction and the small cars are crossing. especially blue cars on a blueish grey road.

for some reason Outrun 2 reminds me of sking. it's so graceful, the way you slide in and out of corners passing other people on the slope, i mean road. it's so relaxing. sure there's a time limit but i never feel pissed off if i don't make it because i know it's my fault and not some random placing of traffic. (need to crank the difficulty up though as normal is way too easy).

EDIT - Also the slide is amazing, always with a smile on my face as the F50 is sideways at 160mph. genius.

i do hope the slowdown is gone from the final version though.

it's not skill when i fly round a blind corner into a wall of traffic that blocks my way. i've done my part it's just pure luck from then on in.

That's not really true is it, the traffic is always in the same place in BO3 so you learn to avoid it in the same way you learn the courses.

The OutRun original was designed with the drifting like that etc. because of the technical limitations, and I have no time for it nowadays. OutRun 2 is essentially just a graphical update of a really, really old and dated game.

OR2 is the first OR game with any drifting at all, actually. OutRun had nothing of the sort in it.

thankfully, since you can just coast round the outer barrier of corners without even a speed penalty, not being able to see corners doesn't actually matter :lol:

Do you actually own BO3? Have you played it online? You arguments are against it are flawed and you just seem to dislike it simply because other people do. (Reminds me of your PES3 arguments.)

If I over do the drift I *should* spin out with a chance of ending up facing the wrong way.

You want Gran Turismo or (better yet) F355 Challenge, mate. If you ended up facing the wrong way in Outrun 2 your race would be over. That's just not what the game's about, and it's stupid to level that as a criticism. There's absolutely no need for the "feature", and no benefit in it, hence nothing at all is lost by leaving it out. If you don't like the game that's up to you, but if you're going to argue about it you could really do with a MUCH better reason than any of the ones you've come up with.

Although his PES3 arguments were totally valid.

thank you. they are all factual and can be observed by anyone playing PES3 immediately after WE6FE.

I don't own BO3, but I've played it for several hours. I would probably own it if I currently had enough money. the crashes look good (well, great), but beyond that it has left me deeply unimpressed. very deeply. :lol:

thank you. they are all factual and can be observed by anyone playing PES3 immediately after WE6FE.

And thus FIFA is better than PES. ;)

Saying that the barriers don't cause slowdown in BO3 is not factual. I think you'd find the multiplayer quite eye-opening, as well as the very tough Preview Laps (against the clock levels). You cannot simply glide around the course as some people are suggesting.

I agree that the barriers can seem too forgiving in BO3, but it helps to keep the game exciting. You can make mistakes but still get back into the thick of the action, especially online.

As for Outrun 2, i've played it some more and think it is an excellent game. (I take back my rose-tinted specs comment. :lol: ) I still think BO3 edges it, but i'm just happy that i have 2 superb racing games to play.