No More Bo Selecta

1 hour ago, dizogg said:

Would the forum be more enjoyable for you if everyone agreed with the one true opinion and there was no room for personal taste?

No, it would be more enjoyable if people didn’t defend racism by saying that it doesn’t count because the person being targeted isn’t really like the racist stereotype being used. It’s a nonsense defence, just admit that you like racist shows and stop hiding behind a post modern ironic argument that is bollocks. 

22 minutes ago, AfromB said:

No, it would be more enjoyable if people didn’t defend racism by saying that it doesn’t count because the person being targeted isn’t really like the racist stereotype being used. It’s a nonsense defence, just admit that you like racist shows and stop hiding behind a post modern ironic argument that is bollocks. 

Bo Selecta started being broadcast when I was 16, I watched it and found it funny. It isn’t a “racist show”. People were laughing because Craig David owned a peregrine falcon named Kes and spoke with a northern accent, the fact he was black was completely non-relevant.

Was it childish, and not to everyone’s tastes? Yes. Did I think Trisha Goddard character was that funny? No not really, and it trod a fine line and probably on the balance of taste should not have been made. Did the show discriminate or make the black characters inferior to the white ones? No.

I’m not a racist (hopefully goes without saying) and when the show was on I found the majority of it amusing. It’s not any deeper than that. 

On 05/06/2020 at 12:30, Plissken said:

No matter how many series of Bo Selecta, Little Britain or anything else Francis, Lucas and Walliams do in their careers, it will never, ever, match the heights of the "Going for an English" sketch.  That piece is clever in a way they can only dream of.

100%!

37 minutes ago, dizogg said:

Bo Selecta started being broadcast when I was 16, I watched it and found it funny. It isn’t a “racist show”. People were laughing because Craig David owned a peregrine falcon named Kes and spoke with a northern accent, the fact he was black was completely non-relevant.

It was completely relevant.  Because if the character had been white and called John Crabtree, everyone would have seen it for the unfunny shit that it was.

Don't anyone think that it was a bit weird that he kept playing black characters?  Mel B, Trisha Goddard, Oprah, Michael Jackson, David Blaine, Craig David.

9 minutes ago, dizogg said:

This is one of the funniest sketches of all time:

I'm less than 5 seconds in and the blackface accent shit is clearly appalling. There are aspects of Bo Selecta that are funny, I still laugh at some of the Mel C stuff, but it's pretty clear there's an uncomfortably racist undercurrent to a lot of it. Which should really make you look at the rest of it and go "huh... maybe this isn't as great as I remember." 

1 hour ago, dizogg said:

This is one of the funniest sketches of all time:

I just had to delete that from my youtube history in case someone saw it. 

20 hours ago, dizogg said:

Bo Selecta isn’t racist, it’s funny as fuck. And should be judged in the context of the time, as should everything.

The whole joke of the program is how awful/shit/bizarre/offensive the ‘versions’ of the celebrities they are. The whole purpose of the joke of having Oprah as a cartoonish black stereotype is that she isn’t like that at all. Most of the characters aren’t poking fun at the actual people as the stuff they are doing is just mental and that is where the comedy lies.

The whole Michael Jackson story thing they did was amazing. 

There's random kittens mewing throughout this video. I thought I was going fucking nuts for a few minutes.