rllmuk
biglime

No More Bo Selecta

How did he not think at the time that blacking up as Oprah Winfrey and joking about eating fried chicken was not massively racist ? His impression of Trisha is just as fucking bad.

45 minutes ago, Plissken said:

No matter how many series of Bo Selecta, Little Britain or anything else Francis, Lucas and Walliams do in their careers, it will never, ever, match the heights of the "Going for an English" sketch.  That piece is clever in a way they can only dream of.

I fucking love that sketch. It's also one of the most British bits of comedy you can get - it's totally in the Monty Python or Not the Nine O Clock News tradition.

• Upvote 1

What he did to Craig David also strayed into being quite uncomfortable - a talented musician who was essentially bullied out of the UK by this prick, and based on the few times I've caught the shite he still pumps out on TV (e.g. Celebrity Juice) I'd hardly say he's a reformed character either. 

• Upvote 3

Excuse the humble brag but I went to the premiere of Ant-Man years ago and sat a couple of rows behind Leigh Francis. My boss went to the toilet half way through and came back around the same time as Francis, during one of the big action scenes at the back end of the movie. The film did one of those cool bits where it goes BWOOOOOOM and then all the sound stops, just as my boss basically shouted "KEITH LEMON DOESN'T WASH HIS HANDS" to a packed out Leicester Square Odeon. 

Fuck Leigh Francis, piss covered racist. 

• Upvote 8

14 minutes ago, cavalcade said:

What he did to Craig David also strayed into being quite uncomfortable - a talented musician who was essentially bullied out of the UK by this prick, and based on the few times I've caught the shite he still pumps out on TV (e.g. Celebrity Juice) I'd hardly say he's a reformed character either. 

Didn't he do that to himself? 

Admittedly 3rd hand, but I heard he was a massive princess about having a charicture created about him, which wasn't, funilly enough directly racist. So, he alienated the public who where "just having a laugh". 

Mel b and Lorraine Kelly had it much worse with proper racism, but they got through it?

I'm not condoning any of it btw... 

• Empathy 2

39 minutes ago, IcEBuRN said:

Didn't he do that to himself? 

Admittedly 3rd hand, but I heard he was a massive princess about having a charicture created about him, which wasn't, funilly enough directly racist. So, he alienated the public who where "just having a laugh". 

It was more to do with turning him in the public`s eye into a shit set of catchphrases which idiots then shouted at him in the street. He had a mini-breakdown about it and left the country, he`s mentioned it in a few interviews. It wasn`t specifically racist in that case.

Although having said that, Craig David`s line "When the crowd say "Bo! Selecta!" is a reference to black musical culture going back about 30 years, so turning that into the name of your show which contains a load of horrible racist caricatures is a bit fucking fishy.

• Upvote 3

Also there was a horrific Melody Maker front cover with him sat on the toilet.

On 05/06/2020 at 10:50, Mawdlin said:

Isn't there a thread on here somewhere about Harry Enfield doing Nelson Mandella entitled Am I Racist for Finding this Funny? Or something like that.

I wonder if some of the comments in there feel outdated given recent events? There was a general upsurge in black face comedy in the 90s, early 2000s, all of which make for uncomfortable viewing now.

That was me.

There was a good intervew with Craig David about it a fair few years back which I can't find. Anyway, from what I remember, he goes on about how the fake Craig David joins him to sing at one of his concerts and they're all getting along and laughing. Then they finish and go backstage and Leigh comes to shake his hand or something and Craig just looks at him and says "you're a sad, pathetic man".

I'm not going to say I didn't laugh along at the Craig David stuff at the time, but I was kind of shocked that the real one didn't take it in good spirit. He sort of knew he had to play along but I guess it just wears you down after a while.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Papaya Dance said:

Must admit I laughed at this story because I fucking hate Bo Selecta regardless of whether it's racist or not.

However, this one has left me conflicted - https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-53009761

I love the league of gents, but is Papa Lazarou ok? I'm not sure.

The simplest method I’ve seen online is to check if you like them or not. If you do then you have to consider the comedian’s intent, which is certainly a wry look at actual racists and highlighting the absurdity of racism. Anybody not understanding this or finding it offensive is just a bit slow, and would probably benefit from having it explained to them some more.

If you don’t like the comedian then fuck’em. They’re clearly right wing racists who deserve to have their house burned down from all the offence they’ve caused.

11 hours ago, PK said:

It was more to do with turning him in the public`s eye into a shit set of catchphrases which idiots then shouted at him in the street. He had a mini-breakdown about it and left the country, he`s mentioned it in a few interviews. It wasn`t specifically racist in that case.

Although having said that, Craig David`s line "When the crowd say "Bo! Selecta!" is a reference to black musical culture going back about 30 years, so turning that into the name of your show which contains a load of horrible racist caricatures is a bit fucking fishy.

There was a thing lately  a couple of MOTD presenters saying sorry for slaaging Luke Chadwicks "appearance".  After Luke admitted how horrible he was made to feel. But i supoose the Jason Lee "pineapple on his head" stuff is more applicable here.

13 hours ago, Papaya Dance said:

Must admit I laughed at this story because I fucking hate Bo Selecta regardless of whether it's racist or not.

However, this one has left me conflicted - https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-53009761

I love the league of gents, but is Papa Lazarou ok? I'm not sure.

This seems a bit mad to me.  I don't remember anything in those shows that felt wrong.

• Upvote 1

Fawlty Towers being pulled from UKTV now too. I'd have thought the racism from Basil and The Major makes them the butt of the joke, rather than any minorities. But it's not for me to say I guess.

• Upvote 4

I don’t agree with the Germans episode of Fawlty Towers being removed from the Beeb-owned UKTV. The scene with the Major where the ‘N’ and ‘W’ words are used is absolutely shocking and should be cut to ribbons (and I believe it has been for the past few years on BBC services), but the scene with the black doctor is all about Basil’s own prejudice and not a comment on the doctor himself, and the parts with the Germans are pretty iconic and again about Basil’s instinctive awfulness. It’s generally regarded as one of the best British sitcom episodes of all time, rightly, as it’s fucking funny.

https://www.theguardian.com/media/2020/jun/11/fawlty-towers-dont-mention-the-war-episode-removed-from-uktv

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Papaya Dance said:

Fawlty Towers being pulled from UKTV now too. I'd have thought the racism from Basil and The Major makes them the butt of the joke, rather than any minorities. But it's not for me to say I guess.

That was my thought too.  Like the David Brent rape scene.  The joke was on him.

2 hours ago, Eighthours said:

I don’t agree with the Germans episode of Fawlty Towers being removed from the Beeb-owned UKTV. The scene with the Major where the ‘N’ and ‘W’ words are used is absolutely shocking and should be cut to ribbons (and I believe it has been for the past few years on BBC services), but the scene with the black doctor is all about Basil’s own prejudice and not a comment on the doctor himself, and the parts with the Germans are pretty iconic and again about Basil’s instinctive awfulness. It’s generally regarded as one of the best British sitcom episodes of all time, rightly, as it’s fucking funny.

https://www.theguardian.com/media/2020/jun/11/fawlty-towers-dont-mention-the-war-episode-removed-from-uktv

I imagine it is all about the Major's language rather than Fawlty's fear of the doctor and his inability to deal with Germans.

The Guardian headline is weak as fuck for not highlighting the far more offensive aspect of that episode.

Papa Lazarou's a bit of borderline case, I feel. It's not a white guy impersonating a black person and relying on associated stereotypes, it's a disturbing, almost demonic being who has more in common with Pennywise or something. If anything, you could argue the fact he's a carnie/gypsy who goes around performing magic, stealing trinkets (and women) from the places he visits is equally/more problematic, given typical attitudes to traveller communities across Europe.

All that said, even ignoring Lazarou there are still other characters like Babs and Pop who have a high potential to cause upset, so I'm not surprised places are talking about pulling the series.

• Upvote 1

On 12/06/2020 at 12:19, Mike S said:

I imagine it is all about the Major's language rather than Fawlty's fear of the doctor and his inability to deal with Germans.

The Guardian headline is weak as fuck for not highlighting the far more offensive aspect of that episode.

You would think so but as far as I'm aware UKTV edited out the Major's comments years ago. The only way to see the original version is on DVD or Netflix.

If we were to censor/take down every single TV show or film that could cause offence to somebody somewhere all we would have left is fucking Bargain Hunt. Where does it end? We have some of the most offensive, right wing, racist, sexist, homophobic cunts in existence as the US President and UK government and we're all fretting about a 45 year old TV show which has been shown roughly 100,000,000 times on BBC and UKTV since then with I'm guessing not one fucking complaint. It boils my piss that the brilliant League of Gentlemen is getting stick too. They're supposed to be grotesque, bizarre caricatures. This PC, knee jerk, reactionary nonsense to 20 to 50 year old TV programs is the least of the worlds problems in 2020. The likes of The Major's casual racism should be looked at as a sign of the times that were the 70s and learned from. Let's face it that was mild compared to the likes of Love Thy Neighbour and Curry and Chips.

• Upvote 3

ITS PC GONE MAD AND IT BOILS MY PISS

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, Hanzo the Razor said:

If we were to censor/take down every single TV show or film that could cause offence to somebody somewhere all we'll have left is fucking Bargain Hunt. 

David Dickinson’s orangeness offended me to the core, plus an auction is not an ‘oction’ as he insisted on calling it.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Hanzo the Razor said:

If we were to censor/take down every single TV show or film that could cause offence to somebody somewhere all we'll have left is fucking Bargain Hunt.

I would hate to be a comedian in this modern age..

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Eighthours said:

David Dickinson’s orangeness offended me to the core, plus an auction is not an ‘oction’ as he insisted on calling it.

He was better than that shifty looking gap-toothed cunt they replaced him with.

• Upvote 1

Bo Selecta isn’t racist, it’s funny as fuck. And should be judged in the context of the time, as should everything.

The whole joke of the program is how awful/shit/bizarre/offensive the ‘versions’ of the celebrities they are. The whole purpose of the joke of having Oprah as a cartoonish black stereotype is that she isn’t like that at all. Most of the characters aren’t poking fun at the actual people as the stuff they are doing is just mental and that is where the comedy lies.

The whole Michael Jackson story thing they did was amazing. 

• Upvote 3
  • Empathy 4

2 hours ago, AfromB said:

Wrong. Try again. 

Would the forum be more enjoyable for you if everyone agreed with the one true opinion and there was no room for personal taste?

• Upvote 2
  • Empathy 1