IGNORED

Most Upsetting Scene In A Kids Film

Haribokart

For me, when Simba's dad dies in Lion King, the music, and the way he keeps fighting on then Scar turns against him and causes him to fall off.

The reason why I didn't go for Bambi is cause the character who kills his mother is not really a major character.

And the way scar turns traitor is probably was one of the reasons why it upset me more.

Hey! No fair!

If we're talking about films you saw as a kid rather than kid's films, I'm nominating the scene in Quatermass and the Pit where we see the ethnic cleansing of the Martians through the infected brain of an alien-possessed madman (thanks for letting me watch that, ma and pa), and that one in The Skull with...er, the skull in it. The disembodied, floating SKULL of DEATH, that is (thanks again, mon braves!). Both of those gave me nightmares for months afterwards. *Brrr*

Not that it's had any permanent effect on me, of course. Apart from putting me off despotic Martians and floating, homicidal skulls for life, and forever depriving me of the ability to sleep without the lights turned on and making me unable to go near an Underground station without breaking into a cold sweat; and, oh, then there's the general sociopathy (well, would you be comfortable in the company of anyone with a potentially lethal skull / undetected echo of an ancient fascist alien intelligence hidden under the flap of skin we naively call the face?) - so minor stuff, really. Hooray for the magic of cinema!

I nominate this post of the thread so far

One I saw recently was the Tin Toy short film Pixar did, which is on the Toy Story DVD. What haunts me about it (I only saw it a few years ago) is when the toy soldier is watching the baby play with a ball or something, and gets an expression which I can only describe as the purest representation of innocent happiness and joy I have ever seen in an animated character.

Then the baby does something like approach the soldier like it's about to swat it with the ball or something, and the soldier's expression fades from joy to absolute, genuine terror.

I almost cried. Of course it all turns out ok in the end but it's bad, bad stuff. :D

I have never watched it again.

:blink:

When I was a young it would have been watership down.

Skip forward 20 years or so and watching the Iron Giant with my eight year old and two year old kids and I'm blubbing like I'm six towards the end.

The old "somethings in my eye line" was rolled out.

Tears of sadness turn to tears of joy.

Lovely lovely film.

I thought that bit in Short Circuit 2 was fabulously done though. Really pulled on the heart strings, got you mad and the final chase with his power ebbing away was also terrifically done. An under appreciated film IMO, and one which probably gave me a good taste for the revenge genre.

Film moments that scared me were without doubt that bit in Superman 3, my girlfriend still can't stand to even think of it. She told me it gave her Nightmares for months, and the thing was shown at 3 in the afternoon :blink:

Still today I find that bit far more disturbing than anything I've seen in Robocop, Terminator or any other sci fi action films. Can't believe they thought that bit was suitable for kids.

Hey! No fair!

If we're talking about films you saw as a kid rather than kid's films, I'm nominating the scene in Quatermass and the Pit where we see the ethnic cleansing of the Martians through the infected brain of an alien-possessed madman (thanks for letting me watch that, ma and pa), and that one in The Skull with...er, the skull in it. The disembodied, floating SKULL of DEATH, that is (thanks again, mon braves!). Both of those gave me nightmares for months afterwards. *Brrr*

Not that it's had any permanent effect on me, of course. Apart from putting me off despotic Martians and floating, homicidal skulls for life, and forever depriving me of the ability to sleep without the lights turned on and making me unable to go near an Underground station without breaking into a cold sweat; and, oh, then there's the general sociopathy (well, would you be comfortable in the company of anyone with a potentially lethal skull / undetected echo of an ancient fascist alien intelligence hidden under the flap of skin we naively call the face?) - so minor stuff, really. Hooray for the magic of cinema!

I nominate this post of the thread so far

Seconded.

Quatermass and the pit was my favourite childhood film, the Martians, for those of you who haven't seen it, are a bit of a diabolical ruse and only, conveniently placed, construction machinery can save humanity now. Great stuff, though I was always more fascinated by the Hammer films than genuinely shocked.

Skip forward 20 years or so and watching the Iron Giant with my eight year old and two year old kids and I'm blubbing like I'm six towards the end.

The old "somethings in my eye line" was rolled out.

Tears of sadness turn to tears of joy.

Lovely lovely film.

Ditto - watched Iron Giant with by daughter and the tears were definately rolling!

Ironically, The Land Before Time was on yesterday, I decided to watch it before I went to work, but it had nearly ended, so, as you can guess, I start watching it and then Littlefoot's mother dies, the scene is still quite bad, I regret not watching the whole film again, isn't it on it's sixth (or so) iteration?.

If Monsters Inc had been around when I was a kid I would have needed therapy.

So comical. And then at the end

the girl has to go home, followed by the final shot when Sully visits her months later. My wife only needs to say 'kitty' these days to make me feel ashamed of my 23-year old teary eyes. I don't know why this film makes me blub when almost ne others can, but it does.

the quatermass "ringstone round" series caused me nay sleepless nights

"ley" "ley" "ley"

wuurrggh.....

did you know a british kid commited suicide over the lion king? he left a suicide note as well, proving that the video was directly to blame for his suicide...

did you see the kneejerk tabloids leaping all over that story ala videogames?

That's not a children's film.

Oh come on. It was by Raymond Briggs, known only for his children's books (such as Fungus the Bogeyman, Father Christmas and The Snowman) and starred the characters from one of his previous kid's books (Gentleman Jim). Who do you think was going to end up seeing it?

Yes, it had a deeper message, but it was mis-targeted by most adults as being 'for kids'.

We had the book of it in our primary school library. Made me very upset.

i thought the start of finding nemo was pretty strong for a kids film, as for when i was a kid, i have to agree with neverending story, short circuit 2 and transformers the movie. but i also remember being disturbed by a scene from disney's the fox and the hound. cant remeber what it was, but im sure if someone else here knows itll bring back nightmares for me! :ph34r:

If you want my advice;

1: Borrow/Rent the DVD

2: Reverse search through the scenes immediately following the swamp and watch as Artax pops up, finds his courage and rids swiftly backwards to the great plains as, all around him, Fantasia is created from nothing.

3: Give the DVD back and never watch it again!

Sorted, repression in three easy steps.

Or download the track Neverending Story by Limahl (the film's ending theme, I think?). Cheered me right up :)

I would have also to vote for Bambi. I don't know what the hell they thought they were playing at when they made that film but I dread the day my son's old enough to see it and I have to watch it alongside him. I just know the poor mite's going to be traumatised by the sight of his daddy sobbing like a bairn.

Also another vote for Watership Down. My bright eyes are filling up just at the thought of it.

Ooh! Add the Lassie film when a couple of people are arguing over who owns him and make Lassie choose! How mean!

i thought the start of finding nemo was pretty strong for a kids film, as for when i was a kid, i have to agree with neverending story, short circuit 2 and transformers the movie. but i also remember being disturbed by a scene from disney's the fox and the hound. cant remeber what it was, but im sure if someone else here knows itll bring back nightmares for me! :(

The fox being murdered by his former friend the hound no doubt. Bloody traitorous dog.

Watership down as I mentioned and many others,is the ONLY time I've seen my dad cry in 28 years and thats covering his mums death and his father death this year. It has to be the standout most upsetting kids film.

• 6 months later...
i also remember being disturbed by a scene from disney's the fox and the hound. cant remeber what it was, but im sure if someone else here knows itll bring back nightmares for me! :ph34r:

it was probably when the mother was being chased by the hunt :o and then she disappears over the hill, the viewers here a loud gunshot and birds fly up in alarm. B) That bit? Neverending Story also got me, esp when the horse died, and again when Fantasien was destroyed, into a grain of sand. And the Lion King when Mufasa died. And yes Watership Down also. ;)