The Fall: The Last Days of Gaia

.::: After the upbeat news of Fallout 3 bing in the works and subsequent removal of smiles after it was announced Bethesda would head the ship, I was kind of gutted.

Then this press release came along and suddenly I remembered that I knew these guys already, bbut forgot about it because it was not officially Fallout. Given the current circumstances though, they are now the only hope left or should storm Bethesda and take over. Either that or Bethesda drops the idea of slapping Fallout onto Morrowind NOW.

THE FALL – LAST DAYS OF GAIA Website Relaunch: WWW.THE-FALL.COM

The German developer Silver Style Entertainment today launches a completely new website (www.the-fall.com) for their post-apocalyptic role-playing game "The Fall – Last Days of Gaia".

THE FALL is a highly anticipated role-playing game currently in the development at Silver Style Entertainment. The new website provides even more information on the game. In addition to gameplay details there also are new screenshots and other graphical content available. And more content will be put online gradually over time.

"The new website underlines the international potential of the title and is available in six languages," commented Julian Dasgupta, PR Manager at Silver Style Entertainment. "Not only are gamers able to obtain information presented in their national language, it also efficiently supports the online marketing efforts of our partners in the corresponding territories."

The Fall - Last Days of Gaia

For fuck's sake lad!

Why the hell is there all this Bethesda-directed negativity? What on Earth makes you think that Bethesda are just going to put a Fallout skin on Morrowind? They've already stated that it's not going to be like that at all. Why not give them a chance before decrying them like that?

(I still would have rather seen Troika get the licence, but that's irrelevent)

Even after Arcanum and Temple of Elemental Evil?

I hope they don't fuck up Vampire because it's looking pretty sweet so far, I think...

For fuck's sake lad!

Why the hell is there all this Bethesda-directed negativity? What on Earth makes you think that Bethesda are just going to put a Fallout skin on Morrowind? They've already stated that it's not going to be like that at all. Why not give them a chance before decrying them like that?

For a moment there, because of what you posted, I rendered you a wise man.

For fuck's sake lad!

.::: Oh they'll get their chance allright. But it still grates, just grates. I would be the same if Bethesda got hold of Suikoden or Final Fantasy or Torment. They make their own games and their flavour is not a flavour to be mixed, despite deriving fun (and countless lost hours (sometimes literally on the xbox)) from Morrowind.

• 16 years later...

So did anyone in this ancient thread actually get and play THE FALL – LAST DAYS OF GAIA ?

I watched the vid below and ordered a copy of Reloaded off ebay. It arrives any day now. I am very much looking forward to getting into it. I love me some eurojank!

Question: does anyone have any of the mods that were made for this game? The official website died years ago and now triggers trojan warnings on my anti-virus. I specifically want the mod which restores the blood, which was removed from the German version, which I ordered.

I remember this! Never did pick it up. It sort of fizzled out for me, as it sounded like the english language patch support never got there and the game was pretty buggy anyway. Shall be most interested to hear how it fares now.

• 2 weeks later...

@Cyhwuhx

Any chance you could rename the thread to: "The Fall: The Last Days of Gaia (PC, 2004; CRPG)" or something similar to make it easier to search?

Anyway, I spent the last week installing, patching, tweaking, and modding this thing. At first I thought it was simpler than everyone said, then I discovered it really is as challenging as some vids make out. I've clocked 4 in-game hours, having spent around... 20 hour setting it up?

I won't bore you with the tiny details. But basically I was juggling posting on a German forum and a Russian forum, using Google Translate, to get all the patch/mod files I wanted, then having to manually combine some of them (the Derfflinger mod and the EXP mod need to be combined). Also, the files needed for the German version are not publicly listed, they're sort of shared on the guest book of the fan blog because... reasons? Only the Russian and Czech files are easily found.

Luckily the English patch is easy to find.

Was it worth the effort?

Fuck yes. The last 4 hours have been a unique experience, janky but fun, and I'm loving it by virtue of the fact there is nothing quite like it out there.

Imagine STALKER but with the combat of Jagged Alliance 2.

Anyway, if anyone wants help setting it up, or just wants me to upload a custom set of mod files (not the game, just the mods/patches), let me know via PM or post here. I don't come on often.

If you buy this, make sure you get the RELOADED version on DVD. Absolutely ignore the earlier vanilla and Expanded versions.

• Cyhwuhx changed the title to The Fall: The Last Days of Gaia

Tempting, but to be honest the last time I fiddled that much to get something working was in the earlier days of P.C gaming. It’s an age I never want to revisit! 

Do appreciate the offer of a potential shortcut, though. I may take you up on that in the future if I’m feeling braver. 

Sure, no worries.

I mean, you could just buy the DVD release, drop the English translation folder in the root directory and call it a day (that bit is quite easy), but the fan-mods I installed do two things:

1) Add a bunch of cut content or fresh content, including drugs, backpacks, and new crafting recipes. Gives it a bit more depth.

2) The EXP mod, which corrects a bug and allows you to select whether EXP is divided by the party, or given to the character that performed an action. I hate it when a weak character whittles down an enemy, and then your strong character makes the kill and gets all the EXP. Realistically, everyone in a team would learn from each other, so I definitely prefer sharing EXP for actions. The option to select it is in the option menu, but doesn't work unless you add a mod.

The Blood Mod sadly does not work with Reloaded. Which is fine.

It's fairly clunky anyway, so others mileage might vary.