controversial opinions on music

kerraig UK

On 12/04/2021 at 12:47, Oh Danny Boy said:

Okay Karen, disco is 40 years in that direction. Relive your dancing Queen dreams! 

You're getting ABBA mixed up with the playlist of Mamma Mia.

On 17/04/2021 at 10:39, Stanley said:

He’s right but then pop music hasn’t been creative since the 80’s, it’s all completely shit now. 

I'd say it hasn't been creative since the post-Britpop era. I'm watching all the 1990 Top Of The Pops episodes and whilst I'd be lying if I said it was all amazing there's so much diversity in styles, lots of dance music obviously but it's surprisingly free of tedium. SAW were on the decline, their stranglehold on the charts had loosened and let in lots of interesting stuff. It was all up for grabs. That continued into the 90s, dance got more commercial but you'd get the odd bubble up from the underground; there was a place for rock, indie guitar, hip-hop (including the real stuff), and of course balladeers and old artists yer mum liked. Even around the millennium there was some variety at least, even if it was all a bit too slick, although boy bands doing landfill covers designed to grace the top ten were slowly crowding out anything interesting. And by the 2000s whilst there were some bright spots a certain class of super-cynical sludge was the norm. 

TL;DR: don't totally dismiss the 90s!

8 hours ago, Vimster said:

I'd say it hasn't been creative since the post-Britpop era. I'm watching all the 1990 Top Of The Pops episodes and whilst I'd be lying if I said it was all amazing there's so much diversity in styles, lots of dance music obviously but it's surprisingly free of tedium. SAW were on the decline, their stranglehold on the charts had loosened and let in lots of interesting stuff. It was all up for grabs. That continued into the 90s, dance got more commercial but you'd get the odd bubble up from the underground; there was a place for rock, indie guitar, hip-hop (including the real stuff), and of course balladeers and old artists yer mum liked. Even around the millennium there was some variety at least, even if it was all a bit too slick, although boy bands doing landfill covers designed to grace the top ten were slowly crowding out anything interesting. And by the 2000s whilst there were some bright spots a certain class of super-cynical sludge was the norm. 

Britpop was utterly shit.

2 hours ago, Festoon said:

At this point, the controversial opinion on the Internet is to say that you liked Britpop.

For example, there's a Twitter account called Anon Opinions, which is supposed to be a place to submit amusing opinions that go against the popular consensus. But right now, so many people have used it to moan about Britpop (and one band in particular...) that the rebellious thing to do would be to defend them:  https://twitter.com/search?q=from%3Aanon_opin Britpop OR blur OR oasis&s=09

6 hours ago, Nick R said:

At this point, the controversial opinion on the Internet is to say that you liked Britpop.

For example, there's a Twitter account called Anon Opinions, which is supposed to be a place to submit amusing opinions that go against the popular consensus. But right now, so many people have used it to moan about Britpop (and one band in particular...) that the rebellious thing to do would be to defend them:  https://twitter.com/search?q=from%3Aanon_opin Britpop OR blur OR oasis&s=09

It was just in response to the "no good singles pop since Britpop" thing. It's just a fact that Britpop was shit, as evidenced whenever Charr Music do a Britpop year on the podcast it becomes clear that during that period most of the music is actually dance music yet the media focus was on Britpop. They even have to play Oasis twice in episodes to cover the fact that there little else that's not excerable. It's staggering how many hit singles Shed Seven had and I bet there's not a person on rllmuk that could hum a single one.

7 hours ago, Nick R said:

At this point, the controversial opinion on the Internet is to say that you liked Britpop

When I was much younger I had an Oasis phase, but I think that was me trying to fit in with something at a time when they’re relevant, rather than genuinely liking it. But yeah, “Britpop is shit” is hardly the hottest take out there. ;) 

10 hours ago, Festoon said:

To be honest I wasn't really saying Britpop was one thing or another, it was just a handy marker of time. It was on the wane 1997/1998 ish, a wave of manufactured pop was coming, something that would make Britpop actually preferable. I'd rather hear fucking Kula Shaker than JLS or any number of talent show plastic chart-toppers. Go on then, take that out of context: Kula Shaker were actually alright. And I managed to contradict myself. 

20 hours ago, Vimster said:

1990 was a surprisingly good year for music*. I too have been tuning in to TOTP. 

*some absolute horrors there too tho. 

16 hours ago, Fierce Poodle said:

Old men probably shouldn’t comment on current pop music.

Nah. I don't think there's anything controversial in saying that recent record industry trends have led to a pop industry that is more conservative and stagnant than ever. There's very little risk taking. Artists are signed based on existing social media presence, there's then a small pool of favoured songwriters and producers who are pushed on to the artists to shape (i.e. homogenise) their sound. If they're then not an instant success, they're quickly dropped. Gone are the days where artists would typically get 2 or 3 albums to develop and start having hits. There's a big economic driver to this of course from the decline in record sales.

You can moan all you want, the fact is that my parents thought the music I listened to as a kid was dogshit (although it was clearly ace) and their parents thought the same about the music they listened to. Complaining about the state of current pop music just makes you sound like a tired, stale old fart.

44 minutes ago, Uncle Mike said:

This idea that the charts are all talent-show graduates seems like a hot take from 5-10 years ago in any case.

I'm nearly 50, I get grumpy-old-man leeway on this one. 

Talent show winners/rejects can be involved in interesting pop, like Liberty X or Girls Aloud. It's just a shame the default setting is to do a cover designed to appeal to exploit a moment in time rather than make even a bit of effort. Granted, this is nothing new and goes way back, it just feel like the fun, the spark, the spikiness that makes pop great has gone again. 

Are you all not conflating 'music that used to chart that doesn't anymore' and 'pop'? Because the latter still exists, it just doesn't chart. 

If you're complaining you don't like what's in the charts, then stop listening to the charts.

There's good pop music out there that isn't made by the same 5 producers, you just have to find it.

4 minutes ago, Fierce Poodle said:

You can moan all you want, the fact is that my parents thought the music I listened to as a kid was dogshit (although it was clearly ace) and their parents thought the same about the music they listened to. Complaining about the state of current pop music just makes you sound like a tired, stale old fart.

I am an old fart, never denied it. And whilst I am enjoying having a moan I fully realise I come off like when my dad used to tut-tut about the charts in the 80s. Modern pop isn't made for people like me, I know, and like anything else "new" it is going to have a job to push through the heavy fog of cynicism and lethargy, it won't strike the same emotional chords. 

So all my guff is shouting into the dark, fully realise that. My opinions on current pop music don't matter, in fact they probably reinforce why people who do like modern pop love it. 

I don't mind you realising you're an old man and that. It's just I don't it's even factually correct in 2021 that talent shows are driving the charts to any extent. And it hasn't been for quite a few years now. It's all YouTube and TikTok now.

11 minutes ago, Lovelyman said:

Are you all not conflating 'music that used to chart that doesn't anymore' and 'pop'? Because the latter still exists, it just doesn't chart. 

If you're complaining you don't like what's in the charts, then stop listening to the charts.

There's good pop music out there that isn't made by the same 5 producers, you just have to find it.

In all seriousness yes I try to avoid the charts, and raging against them is definitely partly about progress I can't handle, unfairly blaming the present for making me feel old and out of touch, and that's fair enough. As I say my old-man opinions don't matter one bit, feels good to spout though, cathartic. 

4 minutes ago, Uncle Mike said:

I don't mind you realising you're an old man and that. It's just I don't it's even factually correct in 2021 that talent shows are driving the charts to any extent. And it hasn't been for quite a few years now. It's all YouTube and TikTok now.

That's fair enough, my prejudice towards that is a bit overdeveloped. 

48 minutes ago, Lovelyman said:

I can't believe I've not been pulled apart yet for saying latter when I clearly meant former!

On controversial opinions and liking pop when the universe says that you shouldn't:

I unironically listen to Major Lazer, and I have their first three albums on my shelf*. And I feel kind of dirty admitting that - it's just as safe and formulaic and cookie-cutter as a million other pop tracks I don't listen to - but I like the layers and the rhythms and the vibes. This is more about me laughing at myself though (their music has always looked weird on my shelf in between Lemonjelly and Martyn) but it's one of my secret shames. :blush: 

*they recently released a fourth album, but not on CD, and tbh I didn't enjoy it nearly as much as the others; it wasn't even in my top 10