controversial opinions on music

Re Ian Curtis, I don't know the situation really but from reading the comments in here isn't it all then repeated again with Nirvana?

Success out of seemingly nowhere, a guy who was torn by the game, suicide attempts, a wish to cancel a tour, a problematic relationship/possible divorce, issues relating to drugs.

When you look back it's all obvious and you can see it all coming, but in that moment? In that time? With things moving as quickly as they were for both bands? 

On 07/08/2004 at 21:37, Qazimod said:

The Fat of the Land is the best album The Prodigy have ever released.

Oh past me, what are you like. :wub: I'd probably gravitate more towards Experience now - yes, a lot of the rave-y tunes are of a certain era, but then so is FotL's content, and I know which I'd prefer to listen to now.

(No Tourists deserves an honourable mention for having a nice variety of styles though. :D )

17 hours ago, Fierce Poodle said:

Must admit I’ve never got the fuss about them.

They are arguably (as in they are, and if you don’t agree you get an argument about it) the greatest pop songwriters for adults there have ever been, and almost certainly ever will be.

People are free to like whatever they like, but if they don’t like Abba it’s always a wonder and a sadness to me. It’s like someone saying they don’t like emotions - what Abba do is so intrinsic and fundamental.

Man, I love Abba!

I don't own a single Abba record, yet they are possibly the greatest singles group of all time. I don't listen to them, but then I don't reach for the volume dial when a track comes on the radio (although certain tracks are played far too often). 

Compete opposite to me are the Bee Gees. Yes they did some good tracks, but I can't listen to another single falsetto vocal performance from them. I've heard them enough, no more!

Here is a controversial opinion. Steve Nicks in Fleetwood Mac - specifically the songs she wrote and performed. Tuneless? Prove me wrong. I hear meandering verses, not a lot of choruses, and no melody. Christine McVie was the true female lead of FM, I don't get the press/public love affair with Stevie Nicks and the word "genius"

Abba aren’t just about the singles though. If I had to take one album to a desert island, it would probably be The Visitors.

59 minutes ago, ZOK said:

They are arguably (as in they are, and if you don’t agree you get an argument about it) the greatest pop songwriters for adults there have ever been, and almost certainly ever will be.

People are free to like whatever they like, but if they don’t like Abba it’s always a wonder and a sadness to me. It’s like someone saying they don’t like emotions - what Abba do is so intrinsic and fundamental.

Man, I love Abba!

I know, and I’ve heard so many people whose tastes I respect profess their love for Abba that the problem clearly lies with me. However, I think I can see what it is that people admire about them, as opposed to say Joy Division which is just a monotonous dirge that I can’t imagine anyone actually enjoying.

2 hours ago, Fierce Poodle said:

I know, and I’ve heard so many people whose tastes I respect profess their love for Abba that the problem clearly lies with me. However, I think I can see what it is that people admire about them, as opposed to say Joy Division which is just a monotonous dirge that I can’t imagine anyone actually enjoying.

Have you ever listened to The Visitors? It’s their last album, and the apex for me of their creativity.

If you’ve not listened to it give it a go...imho if that doesn’t move you, they don’t really have anything to offer. But if it gets under your skin you’ll be able to sniff out individual stuff from earlier in their career that’s even better, paring down on those same peerless melodics.

Of course, you’ll get many Abba fans telling you The Visitors is their worst album - but what do they know?!

ABBA are shit. Unless you’re some middle aged mum, living her days out in some semi-detached house in Surrey, dusting down her old record collection, remembering the glory days of disco in her youth. 

Of course this is the controversial music opinion thread not the factual music thread. So stating a given fact such as ABBA are shit is redundant. 

13 hours ago, GamesGamesGames said:

Everything OK Computer is claimed to be has somehow become the case, over time, for U2's Zooropa.

Zooropa is the only U2 album I like.

19 hours ago, Oh Danny Boy said:

ABBA are shit. Unless you’re some middle aged mum, living her days out in some semi-detached house in Surrey, dusting down her old record collection, remembering the glory days of disco in her youth. 

Of course this is the controversial music opinion thread not the factual music thread. So stating a given fact such as ABBA are shit is redundant. 

This is literally incorrect, it's so weird that ABBA became perceived this way is so strange, largely to Mamma Mia the musical. They are genius writers and performers. Complete one offs.

On 11/04/2021 at 02:26, Oh Danny Boy said:

There’s a reason you are chiefly known on here for your dreadful musical taste.

13 hours ago, Made of Ghosts said:

I just can't do it with Joy Division. I like gloomy/weird/bleak stuff but Curtis is a horrible singer and the songs feel really underdeveloped.

Agreed. They have to be one of the most overrated bands in the history of popular music.

Whatever anyone's opinion on it, ABBA aren't mum music. Like, mums do seem to like it, but then so do lots of other types of people. So much so that they're probably one of the most universally enjoyed artists to ever have existed. Their spectrum of fans is vast. I don't even like them and even I can see that. Is it not possible to enjoy something if your mum likes it? That's a bit sad.

I thought people were over the Disco Sux thing 30 years ago anyway? I get immediately suspicious of anyone who can't enjoy definitively the greatest musical genre. Being unable to relate to music exploring the universal themes of human togetherness, brother. It's like not liking the idea of love or sunshine.

To understand Danny Boy’s frequently observed lack of taste, it’s worth remembering he’s only really known on rllmuk for being our pet ‘real bands play real music’ bore, who mainly dislikes anything not visibly made by white men with guitars.

On 07/04/2021 at 13:45, Art Vandelay said:

Anyway, white people make bad music.

6 hours ago, ZOK said:

white men with guitars.

I wonder when we can move on from this observation, ever , it's very self-deprecating. Do you listen to music by white people and instantly think this all the time, and then beat yourself with a stick for being white and liking it? 

12 hours ago, ZOK said:

To understand Danny Boy’s frequently observed lack of taste, it’s worth remembering he’s only really known on rllmuk for being our pet ‘real bands play real music’ bore, who mainly dislikes anything not visibly made by white men with guitars.

Nah mate, I fuckin hate Ed Sheeran. 

On 07/04/2021 at 13:45, Art Vandelay said:

Anyway, white people make bad music. If they do make good music it's because they've managed to make it sound enough like black music for us not to notice. Prove me wrong kids.

Beethoven?