Mother 3 'announced'

Polmon

Series writer Shigesato Itoi has revealed that Mother 3 is roughly 60 percent complete, and will be set for release in late 2005. This is the first word on the game since it was mentioned in a Japanese commercial for Mother 1+2.

There is no word thus far on a North American release for the game, which was originally known as Earthbound 64. RPGamer will bring you more information on this title as it becomes available.

Source

It had better actually get finished this time :D

It's the sequel to the Earthbound games on the SNES. More like Secret of Mana than Harvest Moon.

not really... earthbound is nothing like secret of mana. it isn't an action-rpg at all. it's almost like... earthbound is to final fantasy as parodius is to gradius. except that earthbound isn't just the most wonderfully zany take on console rpgs ever; it's a beautiful and emotionally involving game in its own right.

earthbound is mother 2. mother was a japanese-only rpg, and mother 2 was localized brilliantly and released in the usa and pal territories (i think it's pal) as earthbound on snes. mother 3 or earthbound 64 was being developed for nintendo64 but got delayed several times and ultimately canned. now it seems to be back.

You encountered the New Age Retro Hippy!

-----

Ness attacks!

28 HP of damage to the New Age Retro Hippy!

-----

The New Age Retro Hippy grumbled about today's youth.

Ness's guts went down by 3!

-----

Ness attacks!

25 HP of damage to the New Age Retro Hippy!

-----

The New Age Retro Hippy used toothpaste and brushed his teeth until they were really white!

The brightness of the New Age Retro Hippy's teeth scared his enemies!

Ness is petrified!

-----

The New Age Retro Hippy called for help!

But no one came.

-----

Ness tried PSI Healing alpha!

Ness regained movement!

-----

The New Age Retro Hippy used the ruler!

Now, he can figure out the length of things easily.

-----

Ness attacks!

SMAAAASH!!!!

92 HP of damage to the New Age Retro Hippy!

The New Age Retro Hippy became normal!

-----

YOU WON!!!

Ness gained 87 experience.

Ness is now level 13!

Offense went up by 2.

Defense went up by 3.

Oh yeah!  Speed went up by 6!

Guts went up by 1.

Vitality went up by 1.

Luck went up by 2.

Sweet!  Maximum HP went up by 14!

Maximum PP went up by 1.

oh my god yes the entire game is this cool!!!! everytime i go home my mom serves me cereal, sends me to bed, and then tells me how my teacher dropped by but she covered for me so i can have my adventure. my dad just deposited $517 into my ATM account, i'm riding around ringing the bell on my bicycle with the R button, a cult of happy-happyists is painting everything in town blue, my first offense spell is called PSI Mogwai alpha, and on a typical day i battle Mobile Sprouts and Evil Ramblin' Mushrooms! awesome!!!

i want to quote a paragraph i just wrote in a different thread about earthbound, which i just realized after writing it is my favorite game. better than ico. well, in my mind i know it isn't (game design, etc.), and its emotionality is more subtle, but i just love earthbound more.

ATTENTION: WHAT FOLLOWS IS A WONDERFULLY DISORGANIZED AND UTTERLY JOYOUS RANT ABOUT WHAT MAKES EARTHBOUND SO INCREDIBLY PERFECT, YOU PHILISTINES

videogames, and especially rpgs, need to learn to show, not tell. come on, this is a basic tenet of creative writing classes everywhere. there should be as little dialogue as possible devoted to intentionally connecting a player emotionally to the game. the cliched love affairs and other crap that my party members tossed up in my general direction in kotor made me ill. take instead a game like earthbound where your emotional investment is rooted in the things your characters have done (they are totally voiceless and yet they have so much personality based on where they've come from, what they've done, the items they can use--take poo's training and inability to equip anything except the unique "of kings" items; or better yet ness's family, baseball bat, and omfg the place where you read his thoughts on the wall and the level near the end that takes place in his mind and that culminates in the most amazing affirmation of leveling-up's importance to the player's feeling) and the party members' connections to one another that you've developed only in your mind (your memories of everything they've adventured through together; the coffee and tea drinking segments (best game ever)). the end is a total revelation in terms of any game or for that matter art i've ever experienced. the game, through a slowly building climactic battle that ultimately renders your party helpless, suggestively and subtly prods you into first realizing that you care about these voiceless characters and causes you to feel that this sentiment allows you to make an active difference in their fate. i have played through this game multiple times, and the power that this final battle has over me is still, even in these repeat plays when i know what is happening, completely unrivaled anywhere in gaming or anywhere at all. the game plugs me in completely at that moment.

mother 1 & 2 (2 = earthbound) were released on the gba in japan. i think nintendo said that they did not intend to bring them to north america and europe, but that may have changed. i'm not sure. it probably will happen. starmen.net sponsored/organized a call-in marathon to try to convince nintendo to release them over here. that was only last week; you should call nintendo's hot-line and tell the nintendo rep that you want it.

I'd just like to back-up Guardian over Earthbound. It's quite possibly the most tounge-in-cheek game I've ever played, and all the better for it. Also, despite some blatant cut-backs towards the end of the game, it's perhaps the largest RPG of the 16-bit era. Come to think of it, I've got to go back and polish off the boss in the last 'your sanctuary' location...

I'd just like to back-up Guardian over Earthbound. It's quite possibly the most tounge-in-cheek game I've ever played, and all the better for it. Also, despite some blatant cut-backs towards the end of the game, it's perhaps the largest RPG of the 16-bit era. Come to think of it, I've got to go back and polish off the boss in the last 'your sanctuary' location...

you mean you've never finished it?! you have to! but.. if you haven't been playing it consistently then you might feel detached and not really experience everything to the same effect.

Right. I'm going away to finally give Earthbound a go. And I don't even like RPGs very much.

Well, I found the opening very engaging. The game seems to be constructed with care: I like the autofight option. I wish more games were a little bit more creative with their setting, and this game's setting is particularly charming. I doubt I've got the time and patience to play through it all,I'm only a few hours into chrono trigger after all, but I can see why you're so excited about the prospect of a sequel on the GBA.

graham, ebisumaru.. neither of you from your very different vantage points have any idea of the innovation that lies ahead. i can't encourage you enough.

by the way, chrono trigger is also worth your time. the opening at the fair isn't the most exciting bit, but the game will really engulf you if you give it a chance. it's no earthbound, though.

one of the best things about earthbound's character is that it is tongue-in-cheek/zany in the most delightful way and yet, simultaneously, a subtle and transparently powerful sentimental experience. these two seemingly contradictory aspects are tightly wound together and inseparable.