IGNORED

Face/Off

DJ Sack

Of course not. They know nothing about movies. All 40 of them. Including a certain Pulitzer Price winner. But you do of course.  :D

And if you look carefully, you'll see positive reviews from other countries too. In fact, I know Face/Off was very well received over here as well. But Dutch critics eh, what do they know about movies?

That wasn't really the angle I was looking at it from. It's the way people link to it as if to say 'Hey look everyone here gave it 93% - IT MUST BE GOOD!'. And yet all I see is over the top extreme American journalism. The Tomatometer just isn't trustworthy at all. Not for my tastes, anyway. And it's not about knowing things about movies, it's about how they reflect their views in the review. I read review after review from that site. And so many are just totally one-sided. When they like a film - THEY LOVE A FILM. And when they dislike a film - THEY HATE A FILM. One extreme to the other. I can't help but stereotype when then review quotes they stick at the top are the worst of the bunch.

And of course my opinion is the best. It's the only one I trust.

I loved this film long before I even knew RT existed. So it has nothing to do with my own opinion. Of course the US has a fair share of not so good critics. But they're not all and the same. Many are great. You honestly can't call Roger Ebert a shit critic for instance, whether you agree with him or not.

I loved this film long before I even knew RT existed. So it has nothing to do with my own opinion. Of course the US has a fair share of not so good critics. But they're not all and the same. Many are great. You honestly can't call Roger Ebert a shit critic for instance, whether you agree with him or not.

Yeah I like Ebert. But I'm yet to find a critic I really agree with. Maybe my taste is just too critical. I'd love to find a critic with a no holds barred approach to reviews.

I'd love to. But it's not something I'm in control of, really. I'm just not easily pleased. I wish I thought about films the way I do about games. With games I'm less of a critic and more about having a go at anything and just enjoying it, because I just love playing anything. With films, it's less about enthusiasm and more about demand for good quality entertainment. Some people can switch-off and just watch whatever for enjoyment. I watch a film demanding something out of it. Which I suppose is a bad thing in the sense that I enjoy a lot less, but at least when I find something I like; you KNOW it's good.

I got Bullet in the Head through the post today.
Owch :D

I started watching from where Cage is fighting a fat man, I enjoyed the film but the editing gave me a stange sence of deja vu, im not sure why. The one thing that realy makes this movie is Nicolas Cage he is one of the greatest actors ever. The scipt had alot to be desired: "Can someone please remind me what planet im on *sniff*" terrible just terrible.

The Killer > Hard Boiled > Face/Off > most action movies.

Btw Manic, you said you like Hard Target?

Hard Target is great - but when I watched it, I thought it was going to be a cheapo exploitation action flick in the mould of Commando and Universal Soldier. Which it is - it just has superior action scenes.

When Face/Off came out, all the mags were talking about it redfining action cinema. I think Face/Off has ideas above its station. It thinks its the best thing ever, wheras Hard Target is just a grimy, straight to video, no-shit gun fest.

I do want to see Hard Boiler, but I don't think I'll like it.

EDIT: I mean Hard Boiled, of course ;)

There's nothing wrong with likeing Hard Target. I wish I could see the director's cut of that some day.

Aww, Vemsie, it's lovely. He'll kick 'em in the face, then he'll shoot 'em up loads, then he'll kick 'em again, even though they're going down anyway.

The original cut had bits like that, but it's even more violent.

I thought it wasn't trendy to like HT, just as it seems like you're a freak for not liking Face/Off.

Aww, Vemsie, it's lovely. He'll kick 'em in the face, then he'll shoot 'em up loads, then he'll kick 'em again, even though they're going down anyway.

I thought it wasn't trendy to like HT, just as it seems like you're a freak for not liking Face/Off.

My mate says Hard Target is his favourite action film of all time, after Die Hard! I wouldn't go that far, but it is good.

"Why are you called Chance?"

"Because my mother took one!"

Quality ;)

You've seen it? Jammy git ;)

I really dig Lance Henriksen in that film. Though he's pretty good in anything really.

You've seen it? Jammy git :D

I really dig Lance Henriksen in that film. Though he's pretty good in anything really.

Yeah, he's ace.

Is the DC hard to get hold of or something?! It was on standard release over here and I'm sure the recent showing on telly was the DC as well - dunno about Holland, mind. ;)

Yeah, he's ace.

Is the DC hard to get hold of or something?! It was on standard release over here and I'm sure the recent showing on telly was the DC as well - dunno about Holland, mind. ;)

That's probably the European cut. The dc, only released as a bootleg iirc, has this:

Click

Hmm, yeah - there are clearly some things described in there that I've seen, but some other scenes that I haven't - for example, the part it describes towards the end of that article when it talks about stock footage of animals being hunted on safari.

This bit, however:

"Missing from the release print are some great bits of dialogue by Henricksen (personal favorite: “There isn't a country in the world that I haven't fired a bullet in.”). However, missing from the director's cut is the rock ‘em sock lem kickboxing ending where Van Damme tells Henricksen that, “Hunting season is over!” Word has it that f ans wanted to see Jean Claude literally kick some more ass (heads actually), so they went back and reshot that ending. Also gone is the crowd pleasing "Whoops" by Henricksen as he tries to disarm a grenade. Instead we have a still satisfying "Aw Fuck" look from the man."

...is in the copy I have; oh yeah, I should mention that I had Hard Target on a dodgy copy before it was released here in the cinemas (followed by Hard Boiled - what a tape! ;) ).

Some of the other bits, like all the action towards the end, is intact on the version I've seen.

However, missing from the director's cut is the rock ‘em sock lem kickboxing ending where Van Damme tells Henricksen that, “Hunting season is over!”

Yeah, this scene -which does not exist in the dc - is in in the cut I've seen. I'd love to see the safari scene, the swamp scene, all the extra action, heck, even the love scene. I could do without the singing though.

• 17 years later...
On 22/07/2004 at 23:52, Rin said:

First time I saw it, I just thought it was a really bad film.

After just re-watching it, I can now confirm that it is the worst film I have ever seen.

I see rllmuk has actually always been the place for negative hot takes on literally anything and everything! 

Come to the forum to read everyone complain about the things you like and are interested in... ad infinitum! 

Had to laugh at the little ‘17 years later…’ thing up there, as if it’s nothing.  That’s longer than the gap between Return of the Jedi and Phantom Menace.