IGNORED

GamesTM Retro Section - Issue 21

Evening all,

Issue 21 of GamesTM landed on my doormat a few days back.

I've been a bit busy this week, but thought it was about time I posted my usual lowdown and comments regarding the `Retro` section.

As you probably know `Retro` editor Strider (Darran) visits this forum on a regular basis, so would find all feedback welcome.

Contents this issue:

• Retro News - Space Taxi 2 (PC), New C64 releases, Advanced Guardian Heroes
  • This Month in 1989 - Sega Enters the 16-bit Generation, August 89 music charts, Arcade Games we Played
  • Rising Sun Retro - Radiant Silvergun
  • Games That Time Forgot - Benny Hill's Madcap Chase!
  • Videogames Myths - Nude Raider
  • Clash of The Titans - Gryzor - The Speccy, C64 and Amstrad versions compared
  • Classic Machine - The Atari Lynx
  • Six of The Best (Atari Lynx) - California Games, STUN Runner, Blue Lightning, Robotron 2084, Klax, Alpine Games
  • Back in The Day... A look back at the decade that taste forgot (The Eighties)
  • Retro Feature - Head Over Heels With Retro (PC Head Over Heels remake)
  • Greatest Retro Game Ever - Outrun
  • ROM Service - A few things the PlayStation 2 was never meant to do
  • Great Game Bosses - Game Tengoku: The Game Paradise
  • A Great Retro Gaming Moment - The Legend of Zelda Ocarina of Time - Exploring The Great Unknown
  • Reviews, Gunhed, Rise of The Robots, Gunfright
  • Retrospective - Chun Wah Kong
  • Retro Contact - 2 pages of letters
  • Buyers Guide
  • Games Trading Market

The quality of the `Retro` section continues to rise still further.

This issue we're treated to far more text than in any of the previous 20, and Darran has put together a cracking 4 page retro feature (entitled `Head Over Heels With Retro`) which looks at the growing retro remakes scene.

The `Clash of The Titans` is a great new section where a classic home conversion of yesteryear is taken, and then the Spectrum, C64 and Amstrad versions are all compared to each other in terms of visuals, audio and gameplay. Hopefully this will be a regular feature from now on.

Last month I raved about the two page spread devoted to Ultimate's classic isometric romp, Knightlore. This month I'm raving again as we're now treated to a double page spread for the arcade smash, `OutRun`.

Radiant Silvergun gets a nice page to itself in `Rising Sun Retro`, but I think Darran's gone a bit too retro, and keeps telling us that it had a 1989 release date. Don't worry matey, these things are bound to slip in no matter how much QA is done.

The `Classic Machine` lowdown continues, this time with the Atari Lynx. I'm sure Darran has increased the amount of text here - excellent stuff!

Ultimate Play The Game receive more coverage this issue, with a review of the Filmation 2 arcade adventure, Gunfright. Quite why the Amstrad version has been used when the Spectrum one came out first is (I'm only guessing here) that Darran is/was a bit of an Amstrad fan. A shot from the Spectrum version as well as the Amstrad one would have been nice, and the `Format` boxout should have had `Spectrum` detailed too, but I'm just being picky.

As usual, the `Retro Contact` section features some good letters, and it's nice to see that someone else is also asking Darran to feature `Twin Galaxies` in a future issue. Come on matey, you HAVE to interview Walter Day. He is such a nice guy and full of mountains of stories.

Blimey, I didn't intend to write that much, but seem have got carried away a little. Sorry about that.

Anyway, I'd love to know what others thought about this month's section.

Rob

The quality of the `Retro` section continues to rise still further.

Oh hush, you'll make me blush...

This issue we're treated to far more text than in any of the previous 20, and Darran has put together a cracking 4 page retro feature (entitled `Head Over Heels With Retro`) which looks at the growing retro remakes scene.

Yeah, more text seems to be a big must, especially if you look at the old Crash mags.

The `Clash of The Titans` is a great new section where a classic home conversion of yesteryear is taken, and then the Spectrum, C64 and Amstrad versions are all compared to each other in terms of visuals, audio and gameplay. Hopefully this will be a regular feature from now on.

The aim is to feature it has often as possible, but I'm now getting to a case where I have too many elements and not enough space in the mag for them. Anyway, they'll appear at least every other month.

Last month I raved about the two page spread devoted to Ultimate's classic isometric romp, Knightlore. This month I'm raving again as we're now treated to a double page spread for the arcade smash, `OutRun`.

To be honest, the game of the month is a bit like shooting fish in a barrel, there's bloody loads of them and its not too hard to right about an amazing game. Anyway, I'm glad you like it and this will continue to be a monthly feature.

Radiant Silvergun gets a nice page to itself in `Rising Sun Retro`, but I think Darran's gone a bit too retro, and keeps telling us that it had a 1989 release date. Don't worry matey, these things are bound to slip in no matter how much QA is done.

Yeah, that was a subbing error unfortunately (although you've missed the mistake on the opposite page Robert :) ) Rising Sun Retro will be another new feature and will look at both the popular and the obscure.

The `Classic Machine` lowdown continues, this time with the Atari Lynx. I'm sure Darran has increased the amount of text here - excellent stuff!

It's starting to increase, but the whole format will be changing next year as we're getting a lot of pressure from readers to recover previous machines that they missed.

Ultimate Play The Game receive more coverage this issue, with a review of the Filmation 2 arcade adventure, Gunfright. Quite why the Amstrad version has been used when the Spectrum one came out first is (I'm only guessing here) that Darran is/was a bit of an Amstrad fan. A shot from the Spectrum version as well as the Amstrad one would have been nice, and the `Format` boxout should have had `Spectrum` detailed too, but I'm just being picky.

Yup, you've guessed it, I'm a bit of an Amstrad fan (plus they look a lot nicer for pic taking). Whenver possible though we will try to add screens from each format.

As usual, the `Retro Contact` section features some good letters, and it's nice to see that someone else is also asking Darran to feature `Twin Galaxies` in a future issue. Come on matey, you HAVE to interview Walter Day. He is such a nice guy and full of mountains of stories.

Walter's been in touch with me and something is in the offing. As for what it is, you'll just have to wait and see...

Yeah, that was a subbing error unfortunately (although you've missed the mistake on the opposite page Robert :) ) Rising Sun Retro will be another new feature and will look at both the popular and the obscure.

Apologies for that. I've not had chance to read the entire `Retro` section yet.

Would it be the NES version of `Benny Hill's Madcap Chase`, by any chance? :(

On a serious note though, it's a bugger type-checking my own posts, so doing that for an entire magazine section must be a real bast.

With regards to Walter Day and Twin Galaxies - well done. This I can't wait for.

On a similar note, I must recommend the 1st edition of the Twin Galaxies book. Ok, the scores are a little out of date for many of the titles now, but it's the last 250 odd pages that make this book a must-buy. It's a real joy to read, and although the story of Twin Galaxies is US based, this doesn't stop it from being a truly brilliant read.

Note that when the 1st edition sells out there will not be a reprint.

For more info, click here.

Rob

Just a thought, but when reviewing retro games, how about a little boxout giving comparable titles?

Reason being, sometimes I will see a retro game and want to play it, along with similar titles. A boxout would be so much easier than searching through hundreds/thousands of roms. And it would give folks an idea of the game in questions rivals at the time.

Just a thought, but when reviewing retro games, how about a little boxout giving comparable titles?

Reason being, sometimes I will see a retro game and want to play it, along with similar titles. A boxout would be so much easier than searching through hundreds/thousands of roms. And it would give folks an idea of the game in questions rivals at the time.

maybe something similar to our better than/worse than ones?

maybe something similar to our better than/worse than ones?

Well that would certainly be in keeping with the reviews in the 'normal' section, yeah - but for the featured games (i.e. the ones that get more than 1/3rd of a page), a boxout listing maybe 5 or so other titles that where similar in style around the same sort of time.

Basically, give the reader a reference point. Just would add a bit class to it IMHO, and adds something that certainly Retro Gamer doesn't do.

Yep another generally fine issue. The real hook for me is the retro section - the article on classic remakes is fascinating - can't wait for Sabre Wulf!

:P

Indeed, Sabre Wulf should be bloody lovely when it's finished. :P

Oh, and thanks for all the kind words, glad you're enjoying it, now if only I could get more pages...

Are the family trees gone forever ? They were one of my favourite bits of the retro section.

Ah, the family tree...

don't worry, it's not gone, I've just had to rethink it a bit. the biggest problem with the family tree is that it's an incredible amount of work (I don't like working :( ) for the two pages it used. In many cases, there would be more text in those two pages than an entire six page feature.

What I'm aiming to do now is write a four page history on a genre or character and then follow that up with the familier family tree.

Expect to see a revamped look in issue 23

Would a GamesTM Retro special ever be considered? You know, I yearly thing where the past 12 months of the Retro part of GamesTM is collected in 1 magazine thingy.

To be honest mate, it wouldn't surprise me (although I've not heard anything yet).

Ah, the family tree...

don't worry, it's not gone, I've just had to rethink it a bit. the biggest problem with the family tree is that it's an incredible amount of work (I don't like working ;) ) for the two pages it used. In many cases, there would be more text in those two pages than an entire six page feature.

What I'm aiming to do now is write a four page history on a genre or character and then follow that up with the familier family tree.

Expect to see a revamped look in issue 23

Thanks for that Strider. Good to see it's going to make a comeback. :(

Any chance of covering Rainbow Islands and/or New Zealand story?

My god, we're all on the same wavelength. Im working on (well playing it loads) Rainbow Islands at this very moment. You'll have to wait a little longer for Newzealand Story though...

My god, we're all on the same wavelength. Im working on (well playing it loads) Rainbow Islands at this very moment. You'll have to wait a little longer for Newzealand Story though...

Good stuff.

Make sure you mention:

- how the Saturn and PlayStation versions of Rainbow Islands had to have their music changed due to copyright issues.

- The difference between arcade versions of Rainbow Islands and Rainbow Islands Extra.

- The reason why it took so long for the home computer versions to see the light of day.

I do really enjoy RI, but have to say that the arcade versions features some of the most annoying music I've ever heard.

The in-game tune is great, it's the instrument they've used which kills it. Nasty, truly nasty.

Rob

Groovy, if you want it on the pc, you can pick up Bubble Bobble and Rainbow Islands from Blockbusters near your old place of work for £5

Groovy, if you want it on the pc, you can pick up Bubble Bobble and Rainbow Islands from Blockbusters near your old place of work for £5

Would that be the one in Westbourne by any chance... If so, when did they start doing retro titles?

Yup, dunno how long, I pop in there over lunch every so often, They sell mostly older shitty games, but sometimes have some classics in there, iirc I picked up Medieval Total War for £5 too. Gotta do something instead of work you know!

Theres not a lot else to do in Westbourne.... Unless you're 70

I'm all for the content of the retro section but I don't know how much longer I can cope with the design style. It's seriously fucking minging, even if it is a joyful, nostalgic pastiche.

Ditch it and put more words in please.

<_<

Aargh! No way! the old Crash and Zzap stylings rule, it is by far the classiest part of the magazine.