IGNORED

Gta: San Andreas Updates

robotattack

the walkman was an idea that struck me as long ago as GTA3...

the only thing that worries me about the new, huge environment, is what happens if you, for some reason, crash your car in the middle of the desert? it could be frustrating enough to be stranded in a quiet bit of liberty or Vice City, without having to cross the desert to find some transport...

hlaf of the anticipation i'm feeling foe this game is just to see, from a technical standpoint, if they actually pull it off...

More new shots and (edited) news regarding eating (from Gamespot):

"The basics of the [food] mechanic are simple: When CJ is hungry, a message will appear onscreen alerting you to his need for some chow. If you choose to ignore this missive, his energy level will start to decrease, and a host of other bad things will begin to happen. Superficially, your boy will get skinny and look generally emaciated, resulting in the ill-fitting of his clothes, which is hardly the look you want to have when trying to earn respect on the streets.

As if this wasn't bad enough, you won't just look weak. Your skinny butt will be unable to lift boxes or punch with any kind of force, thus ensuring many a beat-down in hand-to-hand fights. Along the same lines, you can say goodbye to speed and stamina, which will affect your performance as you swim, cycle, or run through the game.

Now, while it's clear Rockstar wants you to keep CJ fed in the game, just chowing down on anything and everything isn't going to do you any favors either. You obviously don't want CJ getting freakishly skinny and weak, but, at the same time, you don't need his morbidly obese butt rolling down the streets either. Each of the menu items we've mentioned has a specific caloric value that will affect how much CJ's energy and fat levels will increase. Finding the right balance between the two is a must, because eating too much can have some unpleasant results.

First and foremost, you will become fatter and fatter, resulting in the unpleasant sight of CJ bulging out of his clothes. Your tough saunter will become a waddle, and you won't be able to put your arms by your side. To drive the point home, you'll notice CJ struggling to catch his breath when standing still. If you let CJ reach obese proportions, expect the extra pounds to impact everything he does that involves physical exertion, such as lifting, climbing, swimming, cycling, running, and so on. You'll even find that some actions will be impossible to perform once CJ balloons up enough. His reaction time will be slow when fighting, and his pudgy bod will make a target so big your grandmamma could hit it.

To add insult to injury, expect to see non-player-character reactions to you change depending on your appearance. So plan on being taunted and not having much success with the ladies if you're too tubby. There really is nothing worse than being verbally abused by bandanna-wearing gang members in your own hood. Seriously. Worse still, if your rotund avatar has too much to eat, he'll just throw up, which isn't great either, because the money you spent on food will have gone to waste, and you'll be unable to buy more food for a while.

So what do you do to ensure that you'll be in tip-top shape? Eat properly, and wisely avoid binges. And, when in doubt, work out. While we can't go into too much detail on the game's exercise system just yet, we will say that, like the food mechanic, exercise seems like a simple gameplay addition at first but features a nice bit of depth to it. The benefits to having a healthy, fit CJ are pretty obvious. In peak condition, CJ will be faster and stronger. Additionally, he'll have more stamina and will demonstrate a quicker recovery time.

The key thing to note is that skinny doesn't necessarily mean fit. You'll have to manage CJ's development of fat and muscle to have him be in optimal physical condition. Once you understand how the system works, you'll be able to have a custom CJ that you can physically tailor at your whim. For example, you can have CJ be relatively thin and possess little stamina, but you can also have him exercise and build up his strength to the point that he hits like a tank. The system appears to feature some nice, subtle touches that will affect your experience in the game based on how other characters react to CJ's overall appearance. The potential fat and muscle combinations can make for some very interesting looks for CJ."

914983_20040723_screen001.jpg

914983_20040723_screen002.jpg

914983_20040723_screen003.jpg

914983_20040723_screen004.jpg

914983_20040723_screen005.jpg

914983_20040723_screen006.jpg

914983_20040723_screen007.jpg

914983_20040723_screen008.jpg

914983_20040723_screen009.jpg

Yeah I'm not too keen on HAVING to eat and HAVING to exercise in the game, seems a bit restrictive.

Sounds like you don't have to, just means you'll get fat if you don't.

I expect running will burn off some calories anyway.

Physical appearance changes depending on gameplay style? Brilliant.

Lets hope Kojima is listening, I'd love to see an obese or imaciated Snake waddling around the jungle :lol:

The eating thing does sound like a chore. Having to regularly get food just to be able to keep playing at the standard speed and stamina we are used to is a mistake in my opinion.

What next? Toilet breaks?

Yeah, yeah.

I'd hate to constantly have motorcycle fun ruined with having the eat all the time. Provided you don't have to constantly do it.

I hope this weight thing doesn't mean that you can be a slim guy in the morning and by night you're a fat ball, that would be shit. I'm hoping this weight increase will actualy be slow and gradual, giving you a sense of achievement as you either lose lots of weight or bulk up.

I want a super fat CJ, driving around and shooting people in the ass whilst eating a burger.

Lifting boxes eh? I wonder if it's possible that there's manual labour in the game a la Shenmue?

Customisable character gets the thumbs up from me, and I'd assume you have to eat 3 times a day, so 3 times in 24 minutes in GTA world.

Hmm, that's actually quite a fair bit.

I'm still not convinced. All these incredible new features just remind me of the promises made of GTA3 and Vice City, which mostly turned out to be either totally inconsequential in practice, or total bullshit.

Don't get me wrong; I'll buy it. But it's not a game I'm particularly excited about.

I'm still not convinced. All these incredible new features just remind me of the promises made of GTA3 and Vice City, which mostly turned out to be either totally inconsequential in practice, or total bullshit.

... or in fact made them into two of the best games of all time.

Or even, one of the greatest games of all time and a half-arsed expansion pack with bikes.

None of the 'new and improved' features in Vice City changed the gameplay significantly, so I remain pessimistic until I'm proved wrong.

Or even, one of the greatest games of all time and a half-arsed expansion pack with bikes.

None of the 'new and improved' features in Vice City changed the gameplay significantly, so I remain pessimistic until I'm proved wrong.

I have to agree. I still think 3 was the best.