IGNORED

City of Heroes

KieronGillen

This is an interesting way to do things. Does this mean there's never a dungeon with other people in? Are you always restricted to just your party/group?

In not saying this is a bad idea, it's just something I've not experienced before in MMORPGs. How do you find this works Kieron (compared to other similar games)? I imagine it puts paid to many a "train" at least!

Yep, all the missions you take are instanced just for you if they are in buildings/sewers etc...So only you (and your group if you are doing it with others) will be able to enter it...

The only time you can have big groups running around together is in the main city areas...

This is an interesting way to do things. Does this mean there's never a dungeon with other people in? Are you always restricted to just your party/group?

Yes, always you and your group.

I think it works really well. Nothing quite breaks the atmosphere of you being on a quest to save the world and find that four dozen other people are in the same dungeon.

There are some larger "dungeons" which allow other people in, like the sewers and the danger-zones. Fracture and Boomtown have to be seen to be believed, in this way. But basically it's just you in a dungeon.

Though there are some bits in Task Forces (Large multi-mission quests you can sign higher level teams up for - At least 10 or so normally dungeons linked, basically) where you find yourself getting ambushed in the streets by enemies. I've just faced off against the Clockwork King's henchman, Babbage, in downtown Kings. Of course, since he's a relatively high level, you see the low-level heroes scatter.

(It's one of the nicer things in the game - you can't be quite sure what's going to be in the zones at any time, since it can differ if a high-level group has wandered through, and there's a fair bit of scatter anyway)

KG

Yes, always you and your group.

I think it works really well. Nothing quite breaks the atmosphere of you being on a quest to save the world and find that four dozen other people are in the same dungeon.

There are some larger "dungeons" which allow other people in, like the sewers and the danger-zones. Fracture and Boomtown have to be seen to be believed, in this way. But basically it's just you in a dungeon.

An interesting design choice, and it sounds that everyone is in agreement that it works! Also, as you basically noted, you can often get into the depths of dungeon only to find that the spot is camped already (although a /shout can probably stop this happening)...or that was my impression of Everquest.

Trekking for ten to twenty minutes with a group to get to an area which you hope to gain some levels/have a good time in, only to find it's already crowded out, is no-one's idea of fun.

Personally I've glad there's a few open-ish dungeon areas, but creating a "new" dungeon just for the party must certainly inspire team work and a sense of camaradery - it IS just you and your buds vs the dungeon. I imagine it also cuts down on lag (which surely in this day can't be that bad...EQ on my 28.8k modem and P200 used to be fine :ph34r:).

This sounds so great but I have a hard time justifying my sub to FF XI right now, let alone another massively time-consuming title.

And yeah, if I'm honest, the idea of a villainous version does appeal to me more - Dr Doom shennanigans a-go-go.

What sort of character creation options are there? I take it super fast characters aren't very likely..?

I've looked for Chanitelle (sp?) in game loads of times but never seen you. To play one MMORPG is possible but two at the same time is iout of the question. Full Stop.

I totally love the FFXI world and just play that all of the time now. I'm sure City of Heros has the same effect. Why no FFXI review though given that its been out now a while and launching in Europe too whilst CoH is a relative newcomer?

Im getting seriously tempted by this. Youve all done a great job of pimping it in this thread! :ph34r:

Been thinking of getting into an MMORPG for some time now (the last one I tried was Asherons Call a few years back). Ive stayed clear of FFXI because I just know it would just totally destroy my life. This however seems a little easier to get into and not quite as demanding in terms of commitment.

Trekking for ten to twenty minutes with a group to get to an area which you hope to gain some levels/have a good time in, only to find it's already crowded out, is no-one's idea of fun.

Yes, exactly. And while someone else has said this upthread, I've yet to see real camping of bad-guys. The one exception are the Hydra packs in Perez Park, but even that was only once.

What CoH essentially has done is really concentrate on a few things - it's just bashing, yes, but it does bashing better than any other MMORPG I've ever played. It adds narrative to every single encounter, even random spawns - no-one in the game is just standing there waiting to be killed. They're mugging people, or performing evil sacrifices or something similar. They'll curse you as you attack, then their victims run up to you and thank you for your help.

Yes, all surface. But thank God that one MMORPG isn't affraid to be a little surface.

KG

Ive stayed clear of FFXI because I just know it would just totally destroy my life.

You may have a point there - but any MMORPG could do it. I seem to remember having a family and friends and a job but they all have to fit in as best as they can. At one stage a couple of weeks ago I was seriously struggling from sleep deprivation too and had a glazed 1000 yard stare sort of look.

I got the idea that COH had a lot of character cusomisation options too. How does this work (aside from level progression/job types)? I take it there's not much in the way of items [from clothes to weapons] too - or this was the impression i was under.

I recall on my first night of UO (many years ago), I learnt how to make bandanas, and dyed them yellow. I then jaunted around the bank in Brit, handing them out and shouting "JOIN THE BANANA GANG".

At one point I had about six people all dressed in yellow following me around the bank chanting "Banana, banana, join the banana gang!".

Ok so perhaps you had to be there...

Is there anywhere in Bath I can buy this, as I'm popping up there this afternoon.

I like the look of it.. as long as its not as much as a time sink as SWG that is.

It's only available in the US or via download from the site (Kieron posted the ftp link for the client). If you download from the site you will need to register and buy a cd key. This is what I did.

I got the idea that COH had a lot of character cusomisation options too. How does this work (aside from level progression/job types)? I take it there's not much in the way of items [from clothes to weapons] too - or this was the impression i was under.

There's no crafting at the moment and the devs have said that there is unlikely to ever be such for clothes (too many copyright issues etc).

The customisation is all in the initial creation (and the tailor you can visit at later levels) but this is truly massive:

3 body types - Female/Male/Huge

Can vary the height and mass

You can then choose from a huge range of heads/faces/torso types (eg suit, armoured) / Wrist types / leg types...

No capes yet although there was a video floating around showing early work on them that looked cool..

It's only available in the US or via download from the site (Kieron posted the ftp link for the client). If you download from the site you will need to register and buy a cd key. This is what I did.

I couldn't find where you can do that. and bah, I was getting my hopes up at that $30, if I don't get the cds or the manuals I expect a discount dammit :ph34r: it would make sense

If you go to the website www.cityofheroes.com and click on the Account button, create an account and then go to manage account I think it's in there...

Beware that there is also a 108mb download needed before you start playing now...

Although I should add that they made this available for a while before they made it live which was good...

I recall on my first night of UO (many years ago), I learnt how to make bandanas, and dyed them yellow. I then jaunted around the bank in Brit, handing them out and shouting "JOIN THE BANANA GANG".

At one point I had about six people all dressed in yellow following me around the bank chanting "Banana, banana, join the banana gang!".

Ok so perhaps you had to be there...

The last patch opened up costume customisation.

Originally you were stuck with the costume you chose at creation (and the modifications entering supergroup mode made to you costume) . Now tho you can spend 'influence' (the points you earn from completing missions and borking bad guys) at the shops to amend your costume. Slots open up over time/level so you can eventually have 4 totally different costumes that you can switch at will and/or customise with pieces at any time.

The only other items are the occasional special weapon/item you get to use in missions (stun renades, anti undead rays etc) and the powerups you put into your power slots to custimise them. For example a Healing power might have 3 slots available on it which you fill with +Heal, +Range +lower endurance cost.

CoH is the most consoley MMOG ever, it doesnt take anywhere near the commitment that conventional mmogs do. Thats not to say you cant get the same enjoyment and long sessions out of it, you can, it's just that it's entirely possible to get a rewarding and productive experience in a fraction of the time it takes most other 'serious' mmogs.

I reckon an XB Live version wouldnt be all that hard to do.

Finally it must be noted the game engine runs MUCH smoother and quicker than most games of this time being nowhere near the system hog of EQ, SWG, FFXi etc

There's no crafting at the moment and the devs have said that there is unlikely to ever be such for clothes (too many copyright issues etc).

The customisation is all in the initial creation (and the tailor you can visit at later levels) but this is truly massive:

Sounds great, but I guess I'm stuck with this look once I'm done? No chance to change colours (perhaps even when I've levelled up, as a gift or somesuch)?

It's not a massive point I'm just curious.

CoH is the most consoley MMOG ever, it doesnt take anywhere near the commitment that conventional mmogs do. Thats not to say you cant get the same enjoyment and long sessions out of it, you can, it's just that it's entirely possible to get a rewarding and productive experience in a fraction of the time it takes most other 'serious' mmogs.

I reckon an XB Live version wouldnt be all that hard to do.

Finally it must be noted the game engine runs MUCH smoother and quicker than most games of this time being nowhere near the system hog of EQ, SWG, FFXi etc

Thats all I needed to hear... Im sold!

Will try and download it over the next couple of day.

Sounds great, but I guess I'm stuck with this look once I'm done? No chance to change colours (perhaps even when I've levelled up, as a gift or somesuch)?

You can buy extra costumes at certain shops for large amounts of Infulence (The game's cash resource, basically). You can have up to 4 outfits - at least that's how many slots there are on the costume menu - not including the alterations you can make to your costume by altering colours to fit your Supergroup. The slots open up, I believe, as you hit certain levels.

Also in shops you can change your outfit you possess for similarly large amounts of cash. May be wrong about this - never done it myself.

KG

I suggest everyone starts on Victory and we can easily make an RLLMUK supergroup :ph34r:

Come to Victory and FIGHT CRIME.

Note: Please, don't create Force Blaster characters. Of all my friends who are playing, we now have FIVE people who chose that archetype and power-set. There's five other blaster power groups - take one of 'em. They're all good and God knows why this fluke has occurred.

KG

Ahh I completely forgot to mention one of the best things ever in any mmog !

Uusally when you play these games you inevitably end up at different levels to your friends and find you can no longer group with them. CoH solves this by allowing a higher level hero to sideckick a lower level player and enable them to fight at an effective level.

E.g A lvl 20 sickekicks a lvl 5 who then fights at an equivelent of lvl 15

no getting left behind ever again !

Hmm with U1 now also signing up for the game I'm horrifically tempted. I too would prefer said thick manual though - there's something satisfyingly tactile about flicking through a big wedge of glossy paper (which has no doubt been lovingly crafted).

It would be nice to play with a few people I can trust rather than general mongs.

I've already downloaded the zip file actually...hmmmmm.

Is anyone away this weekend with an account going spare (with character slot), so I can get my free trial in? :ph34r:

Come to Victory and FIGHT CRIME.

Note: Please, don't create Force Blaster characters. Of all my friends who are playing, we now have FIVE people who chose that archetype and power-set. There's five other blaster power groups - take one of 'em. They're all good and God knows why this fluke has occurred.

KG

I'll agree with this, the blaster group as a whole is somewhat unbalanced at the moment with a large number of blasters in the game. The main ones I see are energy/energy and anyone with devices (which has one quite powerful secondary ability - devices so I'm told)...

Hmm with U1 now also signing up for the game I'm horrifically tempted.

Do It!!!

It would be great if a group of us started playing all at pretty much the same time. Then all thats left is to think up a suitable name for our obviously inept bunch of do-gooding heroes :P

Well apparently we'll need someone level 10 (damn my insistence on trying out every build under the sun!) to register and we need the following:

Supergroup Name:

Motto:

Message of the Day:

Team Colours:

Team Insignia:

Levels of membership: (optional)

Ok one last thing before I take the plunge...what are the system specs?

Aha found on EB America

System Requirements:

Internet connection and monthly fee required; Windows 98/ME/2000/XP; Intel Pentium III 800 MHz or AMD Athlon 800 MHz; 256 MB RAM; 4X CD-ROM Drive; 2 GB Available HDD Space; GeForce 2 Series or ATI Radeon 8500 Series Video Card; DirectX 9.0; 16-bit Sound Card; 56k modem; Keyboard and mouse