IGNORED

City of Heroes

KieronGillen

Seeing the review in the Games TM thread reminded me:

Are any of you playing this?

I've been playing as Warwych on the Victory server for a couple of weeks, and generally fucking up my sleep patterns over it. As simplifed, throw-away and frothy as a PC online RPG has ever got, with some actual strking innovations on a fair few levels (Adding of narrative to ALL encounters is the main one, which hugely assists atmospehre). As far as I'm concerned, It's the best superhero game of all time.

Best picture of it can be get from downloading one of the many fan videos. This is my favourite, because it's best editted, most accurate and even finds a good use for a fucking Nickleback song.

http://vnfiles.ign.com/cohvault/Justice-WMP9.wmv

Personal snap-shots:

Coh1.jpg

I like it as I can fly.

Coh2.jpg

Also, die:

CoHteam.jpg

Also, hang out with ANDOV, who postures so,

coh.jpg

EDIT: Adding links as just realised that posting pictures doesn't work here. Man!

EDITED: By Phelan - to make the pics work...ooo cool!

KG

That vid does indeed impress, and I have been interested in this game since it came to my attention.. but being a subscriber to FFXI it would take a lot to make me want to move, and paying for two MMORPG's at the same time is unrealstic :angry:

Yeah - absolutely agree on that. Not just financially - in terms of time, it's equally impossible to get much satisfaction.

I'm glad that increasing numbers of MMORPGs seem willing to keep characters when you close your account in case you ever re-start again, which encourages people to take a one-month on one game and one-month on another approach.

KG

I posted about this in the online folder but got ZERO replies...

I'm unconvinced how long it will last without some additional content but I'm having a blast so far, seeing people fly past is great...I'm looking forward to when they bring in the capes!

I've been playing it for the last few weeks, also on Victory...I've only managed to get up to level 6 so far with the following characters:

Furious Ben - L6 DM/INV Scrapper

Vanquished foes:

http://img21.exs.cx/my.php?loc=img21ℑ=FBVanquished.jpg

Flying up high (well hovering very slowly up high!)

http://img21.exs.cx/my.php?loc=img21ℑ=Flying.jpg

A view from WAY up high!

http://img21.exs.cx/my.php?loc=img21ℑ=Uphigh.jpg

The Blue Duke - L6 BS/REGEN Scrapper

The Blue Duke salutes the fallen

http://img21.exs.cx/my.php?loc=img21ℑ=TheBlueDuke.jpg

The Blue Duke watches a supergroup soar off!

http://img21.exs.cx/my.php?loc=img21ℑ=Upandaway.jpg

Oh, and how about the following:

Captain Planet gets down!:

http://img21.exs.cx/my.php?loc=img21ℑ=CaptainPlant.jpg

Spiderman boogying:

http://img21.exs.cx/my.php?loc=img21ℑ=Spiderman.jpg

It's Arthur from The Tick!:

http://img21.exs.cx/my.php?loc=img21ℑ=Arthur.jpg

I have to admit Kieron, the movie is mighty impressive.

I generally don't have much time and so can't get into an Online RPG as I'd like, so it seems pretty good - from what everyone says.

Whats the monthly sting?

I've got this on the way after being sold by the PC Gamer review.

I like the idea of a MMORPG that won't eat up my entire life unless I choose to let it. Dipping in and out when I fancy will be ideal.

Plus I'd like to get a good grounding before City of Villains is released, seeing as 99% of the userbase will likely abandon good for being evil and I envisage Me vs The World.

Whats the monthly sting?

It depends on how many months you pay for at a time - $14.95 a month if you pay month by month.

I'd agree with the chap upthread who senses it may burn out fairly quickly. But, to be honest, it doesn't bother me that much. I burn through most games in less than a month, and have already played more than enough for my $50 buying-the-game-thing.

(And, as I said, if I *do* burn out, I may come back down the line and just buy a month for another blast)

KG

I have to admit Kieron, the movie is mighty impressive.

Yeah - watched it again since posting, but impresses me even more this time. Even stuff like tying what's happening to the lyrics of Nickleback's monstrosity works well.

Makes me want to play, but I must resist, as have an interview to write up.

KG

This sounds so great but I have a hard time justifying my sub to FF XI right now, let alone another massively time-consuming title.

And yeah, if I'm honest, the idea of a villainous version does appeal to me more - Dr Doom shennanigans a-go-go.

What sort of character creation options are there? I take it super fast characters aren't very likely..?

I'd also add that the Character Creator is almost a game on it's own...!

I've probably spent as much time in that as I have in the actual game...!

I can't imagine how comprehensive it's going to be once they add capes and more options...!

What sort of character creation options are there? I take it super fast characters aren't very likely..?

Not immediately, but anyone can have it eventually.

5 character classes - Scrapper (ala Wolverine), Tanker (ala Hulk), Blaster (Ala Cyclops), Defender (ala Invisible Woman) and Controller (Ala Professor X), with five origins (Where you get your power from - Magic, Tech, Mutant, Natural and Science). Each character group has six main power sets to choose one of, then another six secondary sets to choose one of.

And then you have kerzillions of way to customise your character.

At level 6 the tertiary power sets open up, which allow you to add other power-sets. All the transport powers - Flight, Teleport, Super-jump and Super-speed - are in there. You can choose from the first two powers in these sets until you hit level 14, when the third one opens up. This includes things like the proper Flight instead of the weedy hover you had earlier. And, relevantly to your question, "true" Superspeed.

KG

You can have:

Super Speed (Flash)

Super Jumps (Hulk)

Flight (Superman)

Teleport (Nightcrawler)

Various power blasts (take your pick)

Guns (Punisher - Saw "Frank Castle'" last night)

Mind Control (Xavier)

Claws (Wolverine)

Swords (Ooooo I don't know....Silver Samurai)

Martial Arts (Shang Chi)

Fists (Luke Cage)

Healing (hmmmmm...?)

Illusion (Mysterio)

and others....

Nice jugs.

Yeah. The one bit in the character creation which is a bit iffy is the inability to scale your character's boobs - you can make the character larger or smaller or thinner or more heavy-set, but the breasts remain in the same proporations at all time. Which is a shame, because I wanted her virtually flat-chested.

Of course, I can see why they didn't.

On of my favourite things in the game, however, is that there's three sexes you get to choose from in the beginning: Male, Female and "Huge".

KG

Cheers, Kieron. I just assumed that super-speed powers might have been left out for reasons of balance and/or impracticality (surely a Flash type character would be virtually unbeatable to non-speedsters?) or something but glad to hear it's in there.

Damn it, it's really tempting...

Well your accuracy goes down a lot I think in SuperSpeed...

Plus as you level up the enemies more and more tend to use powers as well...

Never played a superspeed character, do Dunno how it plays out. Guess that it burns your "Energy" a fair whack too. And, I believe, the different aspects of Superspeed are separate powers - that is the ultra-fast punches is a different power than simply legging it around quickly. And while superspeed gives you a huge dodge bonus, it also gives a fair penalty on your "To Hit".

(For example, Warwych has Flight and Hover. Flight is great for hunting down people, but gives a hefty penalty to hit bad guys when in use. So you swap to "Hover" as you engage in a combat, slowing you down a bit - but still giving a DEF bonus - and removing the to-hit penalty)

KG

I'd also like to point out the hilarious griefing that's appeared (well hilarious to me because it hasn't happened yet)...

Whereby, because of the lack of PvP, people will be invited to join groups and then suddenly find themselves teleported 200 feet into the sky to fall (if they don't have hover/flight) to their doom (well 1 hit point and usually a pack of enemies)...

I played into my level 20s before the 'grind' of it all hit me (as with all MMORPGs I've played) and that was enough. For me there's little incentive to keep going, really you need a close knit group of friends to play with but I've yet been able to coax mine to join up (they're still on their FFXI bender). It is fun (and it is oh so cool flying around a city), but ultimately it lacks depth.