IGNORED

Sony TalkMAN

Quexex

I just saw this on magic box http://www.the-magicbox.com/gaming.htm about half way down the page: -

Sony revealed a new translation application for PSP called Talkman, which turns the PSP into a multilingual translator. Talkman will be able to interpret 9 different languages with voice output. Talkman will be a launch title for PSP.

This sounds great I know it's not a game and I'm kind a expecting it to use a microphone to translate words as they are spoken although I suspect this is a tall order and I may well be disapointed... nevertheless a mobile tralsation device would be great and would stop me from being the usual brit aboad by being able to attempt to murder some languages...

Cheers

Quexex

Apart from the fact it needs recharging after 1 sentence.

:angry:

Actually, its a good idea really, but will it push gaming?

I don't care for translaters unless you can put it against your TV and translate import games.

Now theres an idea.

Nintendo retaliate with a Japanese to Pikachu convertor. You shout whatever you like into the DS and it's translates into Pikachu speak using a vast dictionary of six different 'Pika phrases'.

Now that would be about as brilliant as it would be useless!

Fortunately, I'm already versed in basic Pikachu - 10 cool dude points to anyone who can tell me who Pikachu is talking to when he says "Pika-pi!" :angry:

It has to work well. Think of it. You are in France and are thirsty.

One beer please and Talkman will translate. Une bière silvousplais.

Brilliant :D

All the while talking into a games console.

You might have your thirst quenched but you ain't gonna pull :) .

This could be compensation for the fact that the launch catalogue for the PSP is looking rather thin atm, Sony still seem to be finalizing the machine specs and haven't yet sent out Dev kits ( all the programming atm is being done on emulation software ), which seems crazy considering that the machine is due out in a matter of months.

The language translation software shown today will make its way onto the PSP as a game, though, its use as a resource tool would make more sense.

The portion of the software shown was called, “Hotel”. The displayed character, a bird named Max, directs you while you are using the software. The user says a phrase into the microphone headset. The software interprets the spoken word and writes it as text while Max holds up the appropriate flag of the language's origin. The program then translates text, while holding up the flag of the language it is being translated to, and speaks the translated phrase.

The program displays the first usage of the PSP headset. No information on price or release date was given.

It is unknown how extensive the program will get, but Sony assures that gamers will have fun using the tool. No mention of release date, or even if the program will make it out of Japan, was mentioned.

It seems to me you'll have the hilarity of wonkey speech-to-text (although the stuff in Word actually works quite well if you take the time to train it) with the hilarity of Babelfish. If it's going to speak the results back to you, you'll have the Hawking Voice hilarity too.

Why don't mobile phones have this if it's possible?

I've yet to see anything that can reliably convert English speech to English text, never mind another language.

The "Star Trek" stuff certainly is bullshit- from the looks of things, it'll be slow, and the end result will bear no resemblance to your original voice.

Does this tech even exist?

Sounds like bullshit to me.

Why don't mobile phones have this if it's possible?

I've yet to see anything that can reliably convert English speech to English text, never mind another language.

I've done a little work on Voice translation software. And its very possible but its effectiveness depends on the application.

Translating single words shouldn't be too much bother. All you need is a relatively bog standard voice to text engine, a translation dictionary and a text to voice engine for the language you require.

Low processer overhead. Simple.

Things get a lot tougher when you are trying to translate phrases. For any 'conversational' voice to text app you are going to need some considerable processing power to get anything like decent accuracy, and thats before you've translated it into another language which provides you with the whole 'meaning' hurdle. Text to voice should be straightforward though.

So a much higher overhead and serious accuracy implications.

The sony app sounds like its somewhere in between.

I just saw this on magic box http://www.the-magicbox.com/gaming.htm about half way down the page: -

This sounds great I know it's not a game and I'm kind a expecting it to use a microphone to translate words as they are spoken although I suspect this is a tall order and I may well be disapointed... nevertheless a mobile tralsation device would be great and would stop me from being the usual brit aboad by being able to attempt to murder some languages...

Cheers

Quexex

I really do not understand all the buzz about the flawed machine that is the PSP. It uses the wrong memory card format, Sony's own one which is more expensive than Compact Flash and Secure Digital. It uses ATRAC compression for music which is inferior to MP3&4, Apple's ACC format and of course the OGG format. Then the battery lifespan is as bad as back in the days with the Game Gear. Finally, it is already doing everything it should not as a game machine. Do you really believe that the PSP is HEAVEN, MEKKA or however you want to call it? The only device which will full-fill the ALL IN ONE gadget we are all looking for is, indeed, the Mobile Phone. Sony should focus on good games, instead of translation applications. How stupid is it to put your PSP in front of someone when you are in a foreign country. It is just a worthless feature. If that is one out of 7 launch games that are currently planned, I am definately not going to buy a PSP.

Sorry for my negative reaction. But everyone is already putting the PSP on a golden statue, which it is far far from away. You can have that great PlayStation market name, the great marketing machine that is Sony, but if you do not have great games, and major design flaws in a system, even a company like Sony will loose credit.

Add to that a $ 400 - 500 launch price, and I say PSP will never end up as PS2. Period.

Isn't this meant to be a gimmicky toy? The translator's PSP app, not the PSP itself (after all, the Talkman is going to be available as a standalone device).

Making some big assumptions about the PSP there. :)

Also:

The only device which will full-fill the ALL IN ONE gadget we are all looking for is, indeed, the Mobile Phone.

How so? A games console has far more of an intrinsic need for high-fidelity audio and a big, clear screen than a mobile phone does. If you're going to throw video and audio playback into one of those devices as a secondary function, then logically it should be the games console.