IGNORED

Most imaginative film ever?

BossSaru

I was recently rewatching Totoro again. God, I love that film. One of the things that amazes me about Miyazaki's work is the insanely imaginative worlds he creates. The true beauty is that in Totoro the actual setting is 100% regular, but the tapestry is enriched by the way that his vision perfectly integrates itself into the real world. I don't want to say too much as there would be obvious spoilers, but anyone who has seen the film should be able to understand what I mean.

Another inspired piece of film making was (IMHO) Fight Club. In reality the film's direction could have been lazy, and the inclusion of Mr Pitt's chest would have guaranteed a healthy return at the box office, but certain scenes such as the Narrator's catalogue-style description of his flat and the shaking camera during Tyler's speech stand out as clever twists that really made me sit up and take notice of Fincher's approach. Obne of those situations where the director's vision was better than the one I had when I read the book.

I watch films to relax and to give me new outlooks on subjects on which I have a limited knowledge. If a director or writer can hook me with their imaginative style then I will be much more attentive to the film's message. Can anyone recomend any films where the imaginative style is as powerful, yet sublimely balanced?

(Oh, and Amelie has this in bucketloads as well, but I've tiraded enough)

Can anyone recomend any films where the imaginative style is as powerful, yet sublimely balanced?

Big Fish.

Theres no twists or anything, but the style of the film is very unusual. Particularly for a Hollywood effort.

Theres a silent film called Man With A Movie Camera made in 1914 I think which is literally and hour and a bit of footage seemingly unrelated. The film being made so close to the advent of cinema, the director has simply recorded everything and anything and the sense of wonder that he felt with this new piece of technology manages to survive when watching it today.

It gets better though. A band called The Cinematic Orchestra wrote a soundtrack to it a few years back (you'll probably be familiar with some of the music; Channel 4 seem to use it on all their documentaries.) The combination of a nearly one hundred year old film and a modern soundtrack is mesmerising. I seriously recommend that anyone with a interest in film has a dig around. Its fantastic.

Whilst I'm being a wee bit pretentious, Koyanisqatsi is also worth a look. Made in the 80's I think (Francis Ford Coppola has somthing or another to do with it) its a film made up of simply amazing footage played along to a epic Philip Glass score. A word of warning though, it gets very intense. So intensein fact, that one of my mates had to go and have a lie down alone during the middle of watching it.

It was freaking him out apparently.

Jolly are you talking about the Dziga Vertov (sp?) film?

Yep thats the one.

(Had to look at Amazon to confirm that. Didn't know his name off the top of my head)

EDIT: thats Man with a Movie Camera for anyone else by the way and not Koyanisqatsi

anything involving terry gilliam, a genius of imagination.

Oh yes. Only a complete crazy face would take on the task of doing a adaptation of Fear and Loathing. Gilliam did, and it's wicked to pieces.