IGNORED

Burnout 3 - Demo Impressions

Polmon

Im guessing it was to hard/time consuming for them, creating a replay isnt easy, especially with all the crash stuff, im sure everyones seen the bugs where a car gets squashed between two trucks and then just shoots out from in between. Im guessing its stuff like that, when replayed could go wrong and mean you get a higher/lesser score in the replay.

To be honest i dont know, its different for every game, it could be they wanted replays but to get them working well would have required delaying the game so it was cut, or it could be they didnt have enough ram left over to save the replay, or like msr in replays the game just messed up with cars and crashes doing all sorts, or maybe to save such a replay on a ps2 memory card would have taken up to much space etc. It could be one of MANY factors why they didnt do replays.

I doubt its cos they couldnt be arsed, thats just a lazy comment as they have spent a lot of time making a game work. Who knows maybe they decided from the off to not bother wasting time with replays. As honestly, who watches them over and over and over again?

It doesn't look much different to Burnout 2 on XBOX but again it still worth keeping an eye on it.

You are pressing R1 to enter slow-mo mode, when you crash and applying some 'aftertouch', right?

And getting 'takedowns'?

why is that then? there were fucked up crashes in the first game, which had replays... they could do it, they just can't be arsed.

I'm guessing it's because there simply isn't enough memory to do it. Looks like they're stetching the PS2 pretty much to the limit as it is - there A LOT of shit going on in this game - and replays would just take vital memory and system resources away from othrr things.

It's a mighty fine shame though.

Another thing, after watching lots of other footage of the game I'm convinved that the demo is a pretty early version, certainly eariler than the E3 build so expect the full game to be significantly better.

You can force the PS2 demo to display in 480p using the Blaze VGA adaptor. It fucks the framerate because of the whole 50hz/60hz thing. But the game looks amazing. The quality of the image, the sharpness of the textures, it is enough to make your eyes bleed to see a PS2 game looking this amazing. This sure bodes well for BLACK Criterion's next big title.

One noticable thing about the game is that you no longer get the motion blur / warped perspective when doing a burnout,

The effect was lessened in Burnout 2 compared to Burnout 1 and wasn't as satisfying either.

Adding saveable replays shouldn't be too hard, right?

Wrong. It's a fairly big feature and would require more work than you may think, obviously it would have been on the 'wish list' but time/budget couldn't account for it I reckon.

I think the effect is still there, looking at screenshots it certainly looks that way.

There's a rather cool blurring effect around the sides of the image which is there all the time really (or when you're going at a decent speed at least), but it's not an actual 'Burnout' thing. That's probably what you're seeing.

Didnt the replays fuck up all the time in the 1st Burnout?

Im pretty sure that have saveable replays for crash mode etc would be impossible, as the massive amount of variable used in a physics model like BO3's would create a discrepency each time the replay was played due to slightly different timings, and hence things would go wrong all the time,and the outcome would be different. Likewise I could see this effecting the racing with its more crash-centric nature.