Burnout 3 - Demo Impressions

Polmon

The first noticable thing about the demo, is that there is no music at all (alternatively, my PAL PS2 is a bit shagged). Eerily quiet. I'm guessing EA will be providing some licenced music for the final game, and they werent allowed to put the tracks on the demo.

Now, onto the game; the most noticable thing about the demo straight off, is the graphics (PS2 version). It does look as good as those videos. There is a strange floaty look to the cars in replay mode (and if your watching someone play, also in 1 player), as the cars shadows are a little too light, and it looks a little odd, but thats just me being a pedant.

How does it play? Quite well. While the demo is very basic (one track, one car), and the course somewhat uninspiring (inner city, one lap or point-to-point, cant quite tell), and there is little traffic, the new gameplay elements work very well.

Your burnout bar (thats your turbo boost, to the uninitiated) fills in the same ways it did in BO2; drifting, near misses and oncoming traffic (couldn't test getting air as the course is flat). But its the new methods of obtaining boost that are just great. Driving offensively is key; ramming opponents allows you to steal some of their burnout, while on the flipside, getting rammed will cost you some of your boost. Causing an opponent to crash will give you a very satisfying slow motion instant replay of their crash, and, depending on the severity of the collision, a massive amount of boost (I managed to cause a two rival + 4 civilian pileup which filled my boost right across to the speedo :P ). You can also gain boost by narrowly miss a crash.

One noticable thing about the game is that you no longer get the motion blur / warped perspective when doing a burnout, and combined with the lack of music, it gave a very anticlimactic feeling when boosting; hopefully this will be somewhat different come retail.

All in all, it looks very very promising. Roll on September :D

For those wondering, you get the demo by pre-ordering from Game (you have to put £1.99 down on the preorder, but there is no obligation to buy it, and the preorder is refundable).

edit: A few more things of note -

• the AI cars seem to be quite violent, the will try and ram you and they seem to try and get revenge if you ram them

• your boost bar seems to fill up quite slowly by doing regular things (oncoming traffic, near misses and drifting), but takedowns and ramming etc seems to be the most rewarding way to build up the burnout guage

• there is a readout at the bottom of the screen which tells you everything that happens when you crash (this maybe a dev thing, but it would be cool if they left it in), and you can hold the boost button to slow down the crash sequences, apparently holding left or right give you some degree of 'aftertouch' when you crash, though I cant really see much difference (usually bouncing off too many things to notice)

• the HUD is quite sparse, which is good, as you can see a lot more of the road etc, all the informative text appears nicely above the draw-in point so it doesnt occlude your view (at least not on this flat course anyway)

• you can still do boost starts in the same way, and you race against 5 opponents now

• the loading time sucks arse badly. I hope its unoptimised and will be sorted by release

Sweet, didn't realise you could get a demo.

Played it lots at E3, it's an amazing game, a real rush. I agree with you about the burnout effect though, it feels very flat after Burnout2's effort. Assuming it'll get added in a later build.

I found the AI to be extremely aggressive too, also they manage to get right up next to with no problems at all. If you are behind, you'll find yourself suddenly right up there with the opponents; the catchup is extreme. It does create some very exciting races, but I'm not sure how good it'll be in the long run. Another thing I wasn't so keen on, was the way the camera cuts to the crash when you cause a 'Takeout'. It looks cool, but takes you out of 'the zone'.

Still, BO3 = yes please.

Another thing I wasn't so keen on, was the way the camera cuts to the crash when you cause a 'Takeout'. It looks cool, but takes you out of 'the zone'.

Im hoping that in the full/finished version this will be optional, as it can be a pain when you are doing some precision driving; the cut to/from is very sudden, and you can easily lose your bearings.

All this ramming your opponents is a disappointment to me, personally. I'd prefer it to be a straight racer, but there you go.

Also, am I understanding that when an opponent crashes you see a replay? Does this not totally ruin everything, ie a pause in the game? Can you turn it off? Or have I misunderstood?

EDIT: As mentioned by Polmon and PeteJ. Sorry, I skimmed a bit.

To be honest, I like it. I like it A LOT.

The lack of traffic on the track is no real biggie since you're too busy trying to smash your opponents into stuff and the 'Aftertouch' thing is brilliant IMO. I managed to get a 10 car or so pile up with 3 aftertouch takedowns at once a few minutes ago. Grinning my EYES! :lol:

Yes, it's less of an all out racer, but the new additions seem to add enough depth and excitment to warrent the slight change in direction.

Oh and the sound and visuals are fantastic. Believe the hype - this looks as good as some of the better Xbox game sout there.

Smashing fun.

Edit: Concerning the takedown replays - yes it's a touch weird and offputting at first, but you'll get used to them after a few go's (well, I did at least and I suck at these games).

Another thing I wasn't so keen on, was the way the camera cuts to the crash when you cause a 'Takeout'. It looks cool, but takes you out of 'the zone'.

I'm worried about this too.

But saying that we should remember its an EA game and the more recent Need For Speeds (as well as other EA games like Fight Night I think) have those 'replay sensitivity' things. They were in NFSU, you could chose if it would replay anything from catching a little air, all the way up to massive shunts. I'd hope that EA would implement that in Burnout 3.

I mean its a good thing for a demo, to catch peoples attentions, but that sort of thing really could do with being optional.

Anyway I'm really looking forward to this, I had many a fun hour playing Burnout 2 2 player. The offensive nature of the game worries me, especially for the single player, but I think it will be a hoot for the multiplayer.

Any final news on Xbox Live for this yet? It would be the game that would persuade me to take the leap to Broadband and the fantasical world of Live

Any final news on Xbox Live for this yet? It would be the game that would persuade me to take the leap to Broadband and the fantasical world of Live

Full Live support. :P

6 players for all the racing modes and 2 players (or some kind of 6 player tournament thing) for crash mode.

I'll say again that the takedown replays haven't really bothered me in the demo. Neither has the more agressive take on the gameplay - it's just different, not worse IMO.

Full Live support. :P

6 players for all the racing modes and 2 players (or some kind of 6 player tournament thing) for crash mode.

I'll say again that the takedown replays haven't really bothered me in the demo. Neither has the more agressive take on the gameplay - it's just different, not worse IMO.

Maybe that fateful step towards Live will be made after all then!

Maybe I should have made myself clearer. I was concerned about the more aggressive style but the more I learn about it the more it sounds better implemented. My original post was trying to put across the point of view that I think the more aggressive style is more suitable to multiplayer. Certainly the reports of the exagerated 'catch up' for those behind would suggest so, to me at least. That was the one thing that bugged me on Burnout 2's multiplayer, have a really bad first lap and that was it; it wouldn't matter if you had the best laps of your life, if your opponent was having a good race that poor start or unlucky pile up would be it. If heavy catch up has been implemented to make the most of the takedowns then that can only be a good thing for multiplayer racing. However, I still feel that there maybe more joypads hitting the floor if this is so aparant in single player - to lead to whole race only to loose out on the final corner due to a takedown from a computer car that before was miles behind will be incredibly frustrating.

Hopefully though I'm just being a gloomy son of a bitch and the actual game won't force this on those only playing the single player game. Or at least be good enough for a "*meh*, try again" feel.

eh?

How's that better in this day and age then?

Because you can download it at a consistent maximum speed, without having to share any of your upload bandwidth and without being at the mercy of several hundred leeching fuckers who will leech from you but won't let you download from them.

That's why newsgroups are better, and that's why they always will be.

Because you can download it at a consistent maximum speed, without having to share any of your upload bandwidth and without being at the mercy of several hundred leeching fuckers who will leech from you but won't let you download from them.

That's why newsgroups are better, and that's why they always will be.

Fair enough if you have (or can get) newsgroup access through your ISP (or are willing to pay for a 3rd party provider to get access)

Wouldn't work for me though, ho hum

Ere, found out that it's not gonna have saveable replays?! :D

IGN:

Burnout 3: Takedown features 480p and 16x9 support for both Xbox and PS2, plus custom soundtracks for the Xbox. There are no plans for downloadable content and the soundtracks are really the only extra apparently for Xbox. Sadly, you cannot save replays in either version, which would have rocked.

The first game let you save your crash replays and allowed you to play forward, backward and in slow motion.

The second game has no such option which was really bizarre because it featured the new Crash mode, so when you got some insane crash points, you'd want to be able to savour and watch them again, or even post them up for all to see via XBL.

Plus with the XBox hard drive, you could easily save dozens of your best crashes...

Saveable replays is an essential feature for such a spectacular game such as the Burnout series - Just doesnt make sense, its like creating the best burger in the world without ketchup! FFS :)