ARCADE

1. horribleman - 18,681,930 - Stage 5-1 - Ageha

2. grav0 - 12,323,690 - Stage 5-1 - Tateha

3. Soi - 11,583,200 - Stage 4 - Ageha

4. Afterbirth - 7,350,460 - Stage 3 - Tateha

5. Sun Tze - 6,195,410 - Stage 3 - Ageha

ARRANGE

1. horribleman - 39,840,335 - Stage 2 - Black

The last bit in Stage 3 (flying over the huge golden ship) is really hectic. One mistake, lose all your powerups and you'll get overwhelmed by bullets very easily. Nerves of steel, man!

Had a good go last night. Reached the fourth stage with 5 lives, but severely fucked up on my way to the boss. And the less said about the fight with him, the better.

I'll be back on it tonight. :o

:o

I'm starting to be less frugal with my shield and seeing better results.

As in ESPrade, I am really stingy with the barrier, but you get a refill at the end of level 3 anyway.

So rather than die on the midboss on stage 3 I blitz him with the barrier.

12,323,690 - Stage 5-1 - Tateha

Getting slightly better, but not really making great progress. I need to sit down and play this solidly for an evening...

Barrier? I always use it to finish off the Stage 2 boss. That final pattern of his is a BEEEETCH.

I had a couple of goes last night and I got the best score ever on stage one, then proceeded to die stupidly around the second level.

Got about 8 mil.

:)

I did watch the DVD that comes with the game, and that gave me some scoring ideas!

• 5 weeks later...

How are you lot getting those scores ? I can almost do the level two boss without losing lives or using barrier but the scores don't pass the 4 million (generally die at or just past level 3 mid-boss). I use Kakusei as much as I can and try scrape lots of bullets, I've even did the entire 1st stage with only the fast red bullets firing at me but nothing seems to help.

I quess I should just watch the DVD but since I've got an Asian PS2, I can't. Isn't there some trick to keep scoring gold on the bosses you can fill me in on or something ?

I also had a look at the last couple of stages just to see what reward would wait for me and don't know whether to laugh or cry at the insanity displayed. Lovely game.

You've got to wait until the screen as amass with bullets, then use Kakusei to wipe out the origin AI and collect the multipliers from the bullets. But rememeber to switch out once used and then wait for more sub-bosses to blitz the screen.

A lot of useful info on this game can be found here: NSTC-uk Espgaluda thread

I tend to use Kakusei only to destroy the bigger enemies. Like those gun turrets on Level 1 that spew out loads of bullets. I shoot them first in normal mode (to weaken them), and then turn on Kakusei. I wait until they have fired all hteir bullets and then destroy them. Shooting them in normal mode a bit just saves time in Kakusei mode.

Another tip is that you lose green gems not just with time while in Kakusei, but with every enemy you kill. Never use Kakusei mode to kill small flying enemies, as it is a total waste.

The super replays and the DVD should give you a good indication of how to play, not that I currently make any attempt to mimic their style yet.

Without looking, i think the art of using Kakusei is too let in run, rather then the switch on/off method. Use it against big the AI first, then wait for the next wave to fire to before rincing them for bullet chains.

Anyway, i'm no where near you guys...

4,890,340 - Stage 3 - Tateha

I'm getting plummed on level 3's main boss, and i don't know the levels well enough yet.

Fantastic game though. Methinks is better then any of the DoDonpachi series.

See, I was planning on giving this a good go last night, but my LE copy of 3rd Strike arrived and, well... that was 3 hours lost right there. I doubt I'll have much time to play it this weekend either. :)

I need some time off work. Yes.

Thanks guys. Managed to get 3.900.000 level 3, Ageha last night. The thread on NTSC had a link to that schmups site and the info I got there was fantastic. One guy had pics of all the enemies plus their names/origin. I love that stuff.

I will not stop playing this game until I can get my score at around 9 mil. By that time Gradius V will be probably out on PAL :P

How are people playing the arrange mode? The fact that i adore the music on the first level means I'll play this after every two/three sessions in Arcade mode. I haven't figured out the scoring system yet but it's a very nice bonus.

Watch the DVD. 4.5 mil on the first level is certainly possible. Not that I can do it mind. I get around 1 mil each time, and really should put some effort into learning a proper routine.

I'm working on progress rather than score at the moment. I can get to the level 4 mid-boss fairly consistently. Its first bullet pattern just kills me though. Last night I got there with two lives left (having collected one extra life for 4+ mil and the 'extra' one on Level 3 that I now know how to get :). Still got killed, whicc was dumb because I maybe could have used the barrier for my last life to kill it.

Up to that point I feel relatively safe and get annoyed with myself if I die. Saying that I find the lst pattern of the Level 2 boss hard (often wimp out and use barrier) as well as the last third of Level 3 (if you die once it is hard not to lose more lives as the bullets just mount up so quickly). The Level 3 boss is pretty hard as well, but I find it easier than the Level 2 one -presuming I have a green gem or two.

I've sussed some more tatics. My beam kept activating during Kakusei so i lost my chains, and i couldn't figure it out at first.

Its sorted now.

Apprently around 4,500,000 is up for grabs on stage 1 alone.

Did you mean you got hit and so the auto barrier activated?

I need to go back to this - Gradius V has been sucking my gametime recently.

Did you mean you got hit and so the auto barrier activated?

I need to go back to this - Gradius V has been sucking my gametime recently.

Yep.

Ps - Theres a GV thread posted now with my rather lame score posted.

The second attack from the very last boss of level 2 is driving me potty right now.

After a 3 hour stint in the park trying to get the bloody aerobie down from out the tree, I was suitable rested, and having ignored this game for a while, I decided to give it a blast.

Got 11,469,440 Stage 4 boss, and using Ageha :P

Had 5 lives on the stage 3 boss but it gets totally rock and I had no shield left.

Fucking hell is stage 4 busy :D

I love this game. Feels different to Gradius V, is easier to zone out too, but easier to make a silly mistake due to the sheer volume of bullets on screen.

Practice, practice. Finally breached my invisible 4 million barrier and scored 5.7 last night. Then this morning my new high: 6,195,410, level 3, Ageha.

I know it's nothing yet but the feeling of improvement is unbeatable and I will not rest until I get some competitive scores. It's just so hard to stay calm and let them fire so much at you before you can kill them.

Doing some more searches for the game brought up a review on gameoverdude.com which was quite good. Don't know if he captured his screens from the DVD but they show some quite impressive numbers.

Stage 5-1, Very Hard (Not sure why but I just noticed it was set to very hard <_<) Ageha, 14,863,310

I was totally nailing it. Got to stage 3 without losing a life and died a few times on the train boss.

Level 5 I was just barrier barrier barrier as I was cacking it.

Might practice a bit on stage 5 before I do it again.

w00t!!

:(<_<:wub::P:D :D :D

Congrats Horribleman, thats a very respectable score. I seem to have an easier time getting gold with Tateha but the bosses just never seem to end, hence almost all my high scores are with Ageha.

Upped mine to 7, million something last night (will edit post with exact score tomorrow- be ready Afterbirth <_< ) which naturally filled me with great pleasure. Thanks for the tips people. Saving some gems for bosses and not using up half your barrier by being shot in Kakusei helps tremendously.

<_< Thanks! I'm well pleased with it. Gotta stop playing for a while else I'll get worse and worse...

Why do you reckon you get more gold with Taheta? Is her Kakusei shot more powerful or something?

I know about the bosses. It's almost impossible not to crap yourself and die on the stage 3 boss where it makes a kind of 'tunnel' with the bullets AND there are the random ones scattered about.