For all skint programmers

MemoryLeak

http://lab.msdn.microsoft.com/express/

Microsoft's latest development studio "Express", comprising C++, C# (both of which work with DirectX) and the usual Visual Basic, J# etc...

I heartily recommend anyone who's getting into programming to look at C# and managed directx, its just as fast as c++ for graphics, inout and sound (not necessarily physics or AI though, but maybe...) but is so quick to develop.

Also, in this release we now have generics (templates essentially) in C#. Yay.

Yes they are typed containers, but kind of more than that. I don't think they are in VB, but to be honest I don't really see the point of VB any more now C# is available.

as it compiles to the same code and seems to do the same thing, why prefer one over the other? the differences are fairly subtle from what i can tell

Are you sure?

Depends what your bottleneck is I suppose. I am getting 80-90 million textured polys a second in my engine on my Geforce 4, which sounds about right. As long as you're batched up into nice big vertex buffers, and are using hardware vertex processing the cpu shouldn't have much to do with rendering performance.

There are potential issues with scene heirachy traversal which I am yet to experiment with, but I suspect C# shouldn't be slow for that. There are also the issues surrounding the garbage collection, but I haven't had any problems yet. I have heard that the floating point maths performance is rubbish though, so physics is probably a no-no. Memory allocation is generally faster in c# than system calls in C++, so its swings and roundabouts.

as it compiles to the same code and seems to do the same thing, why prefer one over the other? the differences are fairly subtle from what i can tell

Could just be personal preference I suppose, I'm a C++ coder at heart so like the syntax, and hate VB's. I just think its the best designed language I've come across yet.

In beta. Yes.

Sweet, I'll have to check this out. C# will definately be taking over from Java for me now. Combined with VS it's the ideal language for developing tools in. What else is new besides generics, anything good?

A couple of (possibly very stupid) questions

-is this express edition free? If not, how much is it?

-Didn't C# used to be another language, and it got rebranded (wasn't it Python or something, or am I on drugs?)

A couple of (possibly very stupid) questions

-is this express edition free? If not, how much is it?

-Didn't C# used to be another language, and it got rebranded (wasn't it Python or something, or am I on drugs?)

The beta is free, U think they say that the final pricing is undecided.

C# is a new language, although you could argue its damn similar to Java. Its not derived from anything else.

You may or may not be on drugs.

While we're on about free IDEs, Eclipse 3.0 is out and it happens to be rather lovely.

eclipse_small.png

Looks like the C/C++ tools have also seen a 3.0 compatible release, if that's your bag.

Excellent. Eclipse has to be the best IDE I've ever used. It's just a shame that the C++ tools aren't anywhere near as feature packed as the Java one's.