IGNORED

Rllmuk Film of the month (July): Legend of 1900

Oops, only just saw this, John!

I wonder if anyone's seen it? If not there's not a lot to discuss! I hope that my somewhat clumsy review will make you all at least consider watching this classic! Here goes:

The reason I seconded a nomination for this by Danryu was that I absolutely adored this movie. This was based on two things. The first was Tim Roth's amazing performance as '1900' a man who decided to spend his life on an ocean liner after he was abandonned there and raised by the engine crew. That sounds a bit far fetched but as this is more of a fable, it is only a light setup for the movie's main themes, love, obsession, beauty, obstinance, madness and innocence. Tim plays the role with the childlike naïveity and wonder of someone who has only been explosed to that environment, but also he gives the character a warmth and charisma, you're with him all the way. The director of the movie is Guiseppe Tornatore, who also directed Cinema Paradiso, arguably one of the most touching movies ever. this movie too is very touching, both through Roth's performance and the careful nurturing of the fable of 1900's story. By the end of the movie you are completely encapsulated in this rich film noiresque 1930's world and I guarantee that you will openly weep like a girl at the ending if you have an open mind and a warm heart.

The second reason I love this movie is the music. 1900 is a piano genius and makes his living on the ship he grew up on as a pianist. The score to the movie is based around the pieces he plays, from romantic classical pieces to the frantic piano challenge between 1900 and another master, Jelly Roll Morton that will leave you breathless and wanting the soundtrack just for the insanely complex and fast piece 'Study for Three Hands'. Who composed, arranged and conducted the music? The legendary Ennio Morricone.

I have been careful not to reveal much about the story or what happens because I want you all to experience the magic for yourselves, but I hope i've given you enough to compel you to watch it whether you rent it or buy it.

The cheapest I see it is here: Legend of 1900 at Play.com

Please tell me what you think.

While watching 'Reservoir Dogs' the other night I thought 'I need to see more of Roth' so I've added it to my DVD rental selection at ScreenSelect. :angry:

My nomination -

Eureka

Starring Gene Hackman, Theresa Russell, Rutger Hauer, Mickey Rourke and Joe Pesci.

I'm amazed.

I saw this film on the telly about a year ago, and it was absolutely beautiful. And yet no-one talks about it, no-one mentions it.

Juria, thanks for giving everyone the heads-up. It's a special film, this.

R.

Julia's basically said it all!

I first saw this movie in a double bill with Big Blue (I was a student back then, okay?) and although both affected me, I found this to be the far more enjoyable movie. You'll watch the movie more than once just for the piano duel if nothing else. Study for 3 Hands will leave you breathless, then the bit directly after... ; )

Tim Roth's performance and the 3 main musical sections are the plateaus in a perfectly executed movie.

I found it to be a deeply touching and bittersweet movie that should appeal to movie lovers, music lovers and people who enjoy enchanting storytelling.

It's a classic film and, from a musician's perspective, it is very well undertaken (though all the performances were "faked"). It's also interesting to note that the director doesn't speak a word of English.

Both my brother-in-law and I rate this film and he's Japanese, so listen to the brer (the Japanese edition has more "widgets" too, if memory serves).

Awww. Yeah, I checked my dvd and there are indeed no subs :) It was an italian co-production so there might be an italian specific release, but they probably have just Italian subs on it. First dvd movie i've noticed not having subs. Sorry, Legendary :(

I got it, watched it, and I throughly enjoyed it. Its an interesting idea. I particularly liked the characterisation of 1900 and how he grew (both physically and emotionally) through the film, yet the innocence of someone who'd not seen the world remained.

I cried at the end. And rather agreed with 1900s reasons for not leaving the ship. Maybe thats why I rarely leave my house.

Watched it yesterday with my girlfriend.

It really was a great film, really moving, funny, and enjoyable. Tim Roth was great as 1900 and made the character very believable and likeable.

The piano dual bit was great too: "and fuck jazz too!".

Oh - and the pouty lipped girl - yum!! (and also another very moving part of the film).

I hadn't read any of this thread before watching the film, as I hadn't wanted to stumble across any spoilers - I agree with most of what people said though. I didn't find my self all that move by the ending though, and certainly wasn't in tears. I kind of found it more annoying than upsetting in a way, there were a number of different solutions or suggestions I would have made to 1900, but his friend just didn't try anything really. I think it was supposed to be that he really understood how 1900 felt, but then why did he even try and persuade him in the first place. I understood how he didn't want to live on land - but he could always have moved to another ship or something. Still, it certainly didn't spoil the film for me.

The only thing I really didn't like was the effect of showing extra hands playing on the piano - I'm guessing it was done to show how he was pretty much playing two parts at once at times; however, to me, it just looked a bit cheap and tacky.

I did really enjoy the film though, and would recommend it to anyone to watch. On the surface it felt like a pretty light-hearted, easy going, even light-weight film, but underneath that there was a lot more and it really was a great view.

A good choice of film as I'm sure most people would find it enjoyable.

Thank you Juria (and Danryu) for recommending such a wonderful film, I'd never have seen otherwise.

Beautiful, emotional music throughout, the high for me being his piece while watching 'pouty lips' through the portholes - it was just perfect (what else can you expect from Morricone).

The only annoying thing for me was the fact that the PAL version only has a stereo soundtrack as opposed the the NTSC's 5.1.

Come on people, this is well worth a nights viewing.

None of my local rental stores had the film, so I've just joined up to lovefilm.com and put this at the top of my list. It's already been despatched, so I should have it by tomorrow. I'm looking forward to seeing it; I must admit I'd not heard much about it before this.

As for who should pick the next film in the absence of Juria, I guess it should revert back to Linkster to nominate someone again, or possibly back to John, seeing as though he came up with the idea in the first place (I think).

Hey there.

I didn't like it... I didn't like the music or the story. For me the most interesting aspect of the film was the tale of this guy growing up on a boat. But they pretty much brushed over that and the rest of the movie played out like your standard musical prodigy story. It didn't explain how he suddenly became a musical genius he just suddenly did.

I loved the idea of some kid growing up on a boat and never stepping on land. The size of that boat and to imagine the sheer amount of character he would meet over 20+ years would be a great film in itself. The whole music thing (even though it must have taken up 2 hours of the movie) felt shoe horned into the movie. Like the screenwriter had two script ideas about two characters and put them into one script.

Also it was too damn long. Went on for ever. All that shit wit the pawn shop... And the broken record... All could have been cut and the film wouldn't have missed it.

Why did he have a posh English accent and a petty decent vocabulary when he was brought up by a bunch of people that cant read and talk with rough and thick accents from all around the world?

And that ending... His speech that went on for like 20 minutes for why he didn't want to go on land... Didn't buy it at all. Him and his so called mate must be thick as pig shit if fuckin' death by dynamite seemed like their only option.

I dunno. It seems I'm the minority on this. But I didn't think much of it at all.

Despin out.

Hey there.

"Despin. Why don't you pick the August film?"

Cool. I'll give it ago. I'll have to have a little think about it though. I'm not sure what to pick.

What date do I have to post the details of the flick? Do I just pm you and you post it?

Despin out.

Hey there.

"Despin. Why don't you pick the August film?"

Cool. I'll give it ago. I'll have to have a little think about it though. I'm not sure what to pick.

What date do I have to post the details of the flick? Do I just pm you and you post it?

Despin out.

Before the end of July. Either PM me or just post yourself and I'll make it sticky.