27/6 Car Booting

Bluejam

Too right.

And I beleive this is a no trolling forum.

AndyB

Andy, don't you find that it;s just too competative now?

That it's just about cash and fleecing people? Sometimes I wonder where the fun went - I mean it's just games after all and I'm not going to get upset and fall out with people if I don't get to something. Some people look at me as if I'm mad when I'm happy for them to find decent stuff to keep..

The Boot Sales are becoming harder work. All sorts of people are dashing for the games stuff these days - thankfully many of them don't have the knowledge we have on here, which has taken years to build up.

The other day I was beaten to a stall with a SEGA Saturn by this oldish chap, must have been about 40, and I had to stand and watch whilst he went through the games, one by one. Looking at them, turning them over, and then looking inside...took him ages to go through the games...there were about 20. I stood and watched...seeing him picking up the games I wanted...then putting them down...then picking them up...eventually he plumped for Sonic 3D and Sonic Jam.

I then took my turn and picked up the two I had been after, G Darius 2 and Saturn Bomberman.

In the 'old' days you could wander into a boot sale quite late and still pick up all sorts of gaming stuff. About 4 years ago I wandered into one, right at the end, and got a NES with 15 boxed games for £5. It was funny because it had a sign saying 'NES and games £10' and I stood up to get my wallet out and the chap selling it, said 'Wait, wait! You can have it for a fiver!', apparently thinking I had stood up to walk away.

These days you have to be there at the crack of dawn otherwise it will all be gone!

Andy, don't you find that it;s just too competative now?

That it's just about cash and fleecing people? Sometimes I wonder where the fun went - I mean it's just games after all and I'm not going to get upset and fall out with people if I don't get to something. Some people look at me as if I'm mad when I'm happy for them to find decent stuff to keep..

Yeah, the fun has gone somewhat. Years gone by I'd turn down loads of stuff for all sorts of silly reasons, if I changed my mind later it would still be there. These days, if I come away with a handful of PS1 & MD games I'm happy.

I've noticed how things gradually 'phased out' as well. First the SNES stuff semmed to dissapear, then the NES and recently its been MD stuff thats petering out. I don't know whether it's just that there ARE more and more people collecting at Car Boots or whether people are realising their potential and selling them elsewhere.

AndyB

In the 'old' days you could wander into a boot sale quite late and still pick up all sorts of gaming stuff. About 4 years ago I wandered into one, right at the end, and got a NES with 15 boxed games for £5. It was funny because it had a sign saying 'NES and games £10' and I stood up to get my wallet out and the chap selling it, said 'Wait, wait! You can have it for a fiver!', apparently thinking I had stood up to walk away.

These days you have to be there at the crack of dawn otherwise it will all be gone!

so true. i used to go booting a lot in the late 90's, there was always loads of stuff, no matter when i turned up, now its so much harder to find stuff ;)

That's the key though - and that's why we'll all be there long after the pikeys have lost interest. You simply can't acquire the kind of knowledge that we've got overnight, or by leafing through a couple of issues of Retro Gamer at Tesco's - it's impossible.

Add to that the fact that even we experts are still learning all the time, and what you've got is a totally unassailable head start for the good guys over the bandits. Trust me - when they're all busy scouring car boot sales for the next latest fad a couple of years from now, things for us lot'll be just like they were in the good old days! :P

I really hope you're right but I have my doubts! ;)

There are more and more knowledgable people coming up through the ranks. I see new faces every month that seem to know what they're buying.

Rich

Accusing me of trolling :P I just found it very ironic that you can call people names and using your "status" of having a games website you make to say you're any better than the "pikey scum". I just decided to make my post short and sweet as at the time I couldn't be arsed to justify it.

But... to me... it's the same end result, at the end of the day, whether it goes into the pockets of the "pikey scum" eBayers or the shoppers on your website paying a premium for the products offered. It doesn't give you any more right to do it whether you've been reselling for 4 years on a website or been selling on eBay for 2 weeks, afterall. Buying/selling takes very little real knowledge or effort, afterall.

Threatening physical violence is crossing the line, but if someone jumps you to a bargain I'm not offering you any sympathy.

:P I just found it very ironic that you can call people names and using your "status" of having a games website you make to say I just decided to make my post short and sweet as at the time I couldn't be arsed to justify it.

But... to me... it's the same end result, at the end of the day, whether it goes into the pockets of the "pikey scum" eBayers or the shoppers on your website paying a premium for the products offered. It doesn't give you any more right to do it whether you've been reselling for 4 years on a website or been selling on eBay for 2 weeks, afterall.

Threatening physical violence is crossing the line, but if someone jumps you to a bargain I'm not offering you any sympathy.

>Accusing me of trolling

Never!

> you're any better than the "pikey scum".

Ah the difference is that people on here:

1) Leave stuff behind - the pikeys don't.

2) Don't take 4 kids out to run about and pick up everything of worth, thus my "winged monkeys" name.

3) Only goto pick up games

4) Don't do what male pikey was doing Sunday and diving in the back of motors just pulling up at the behest of His missus as I'd beaten them to a CDI and She looked dagger sat me.

5) I've not given up all work and am attempting to keep 4 kids and a wife on the proceeds from buying items at a car boot sale!

I do prefer the phrase winged monkeys and if the pikey Wife pushes my missus out the way like She did the other week and is as wonderfully rude as she was then I should think My missus will clock Her - I noticed the wife had a row the other week at a sale with someone so it certainly isn't just Me thats being rubbed up the wrong way.

I think I'm pretty polite at boot sales, I'm patient, nice to people and not annoying, trying to unload peoples cars before they've even got their table set up!

We are better, just deal with it son.

Oh and This:

>Buying/selling takes very little real knowledge or effort, afterall.

Is bollocks and an explanation would be wasted on you, why don't you go and do it if its that easy?

>>Accusing me of trolling

>Never!

OOOH! USENET formatting. Fancy. I seemed to have mucked it up here, but that's because I don't think the forum is designed for it.

BTW, The smiley was the key to that post. Rolleyes. Do you see?

>> you're any better than the "pikey scum".

>Ah the difference is that people on here:

>1) Leave stuff behind - the pikeys don't.

Erm, consolepassion owns a store. Of course he doesn't leave stuff of worth behind. I also doubt most of the people in this thread would.

>2) Don't take 4 kids out to run about and pick up everything of worth, thus my "winged monkeys" name.

Erm, I've taken friends to carboots to help me rummage through the stuff. OHNO! I AM TEH EVIL! Seriously, you seem pretty bitter that someone has managed to get 4 kids to go and find stuff of worth, it seems like a rather efficient way of doing it from where I'm sitting, actually. I'm not bothered who gets it, really, if the end result of it is being resold. I'm sure if you had 4 kids spare, you'd do exactly the same thing.

>3) Only goto pick up games

OHNO! ONLY GONE TO CARBOOTS TO PICK UP GAMES. :P Seriously, that's a really lame reason. I'm sure most of the carbooters on this thread go to these things for the games over anything else. Hell, I exclusively go to buy games. I don't see any harm in that at all.

>4) Don't do what male pikey was doing Sunday and diving in the back of motors >just pulling up at the behest of His missus as I'd beaten them to a CDI and She >looked dagger sat me.

Sorry, I don't understand that.

>5) I've not given up all work and am attempting to keep 4 kids and a wife on the >proceeds from buying items at a car boot sale!

Ah, but my point is that someone reselling is doing the SAME DAMN THING no matter whether they are working or not.

>I do prefer the phrase winged monkeys and if the pikey Wife pushes my missus out >the way like She did the other week and is as wonderfully rude as she was then I >should think My missus will clock Her - I noticed the wife had a row the other week >at a sale with someone so it certainly isn't just Me thats being rubbed up the wrong >way.

Erm, you say they're bad and you're considering physical violence towards them? Then, frankly, you both need help!

>I think I'm pretty polite at boot sales, I'm patient, nice to people and not annoying, >trying to unload peoples cars before they've even got their table set up!

>We are better, just deal with it son.

:o You sound more bitter to me.

>Oh and This:

>>Buying/selling takes very little real knowledge or effort, afterall.

>Is bollocks and an explanation would be wasted on you, why don't you go and do it if its that easy?

I have done in the past, and if I have chance to go to a carboot I still go. I can't justify the effort. I buy to extend my collection, never to eBay. It takes no real knowledge or effort to know what games are worth what. Just because I don't buy to resell doesn't know I don't mean the prices of games.

There is hardly any more skill than a Where's Wally book. You go to a car boot in the morning. You look around car boot. You find Wally (Generic Pseudo-R@RE Game #3432423) and then you buy it. It's not really rocket science, or particularly difficult.

Nah, usenet formatting is what I'm used to, you have to quote and do it properly otherwise you lose the whole gist of the conversation.

anyway!

>Erm, I've taken friends to carboots to help me rummage through the stuff. >OHNO! I AM TEH EVIL!

So do I - we go for fun and a laugh not to fullfill a deep need to be a fagin type figure by getting my own kids up at 5 am to goto a car boot sale in the rain - or do you not think thats incredibly sad?

>OHNO! ONLY GONE TO CARBOOTS TO PICK UP GAMES. :P Seriously, that's a >really lame reason.

Hey yours was a lame post ;-)

Nah I don't think so - I think if you go out there, buy what your after and thats it then you are different - I mean you get the record collectors and they all use it as a meeting place, have a chat, pick up some vinyl and enjoy themselves - thats how I look at it.

To just go out there and buy any old shit, at every sale going, always there like a real pest, using my kids as packhorses to carry it all and hope it sells, is well, it's a tough old life and frankly I wouldn't want to inflict that on my kids.

>Hell, I exclusively go to buy games. I don't see any harm in that at all.

I have game competition - I care little about it, I shrug my shoulders and walk away, I don't do what these types do which is increasingly more agressive - it's just a fucking game not worth getting upset or falling out over, however as we've all detailed these people are getting increasingly hostile and relying on people like me who's never slapped anyone in His life to just treat them special and get out of the way because they've decided to earn their living on ebay.

>Sorry, I don't understand that.

You obviously lead a charmed life, the original people the charge "pikeys" was made at have a wonderful tendancy to try to get stuff out of cars before their owners have even opened the front door of the motor! I'm polite, I don't approach a stall and if anyone else looks at anything yell" I'm looking at that!"

>Erm, you say they're bad and you're considering physical violence towards >them? Then, frankly, you both need help!

Listen mate, if someone PHYSICALLY pushes me out of the way when I'm queuing then I'll stand up for myself, same at a boot sale - I don't push people out of the way to get to a few items, pikeys, vultures, they do that, thats the people were railing against here and thats a big old difference.

Pulling something out of someones hands at a sale or being exceptionally rude would in normal life provoke a reaction or maybe you think it shouldn't? The woman was so rude as to make my normally passive missus annoyed, Knowing my partner in the way I do if you make Her seeth, your clearly in the wrong as frankly She's got the patience of a saint!

Maybe I don't need help and I'm acting normal, ie when someone physically pushes me out the way to get to some shitty playstation games then I object to the physical side of it - or are you suggesting that I just smile nicely and make like a doormat!

>:o You sound more bitter to me.

Nah, but I am allowed to take exception to rude people manhandling myself or the missus out of the way and I'm entitled - nay it is my duty to look down on them Sir!

>You find Wally (Generic Pseudo-R@RE Game #3432423) and then you buy it. It's >not really rocket science, or particularly difficult

I disagree - you can go scatter gun and buy stuff thats not worth shit or you know your stuff, and pick the cherries that provide the most returns, selling them in the way that maximises your return on it all - you can spot games before they rise in value, you can wangle that one rare one out of a batch of 10 where the seller just won't split no matter what!

I think there's a skill to it, there can't just be luck! Bottom line is that ebay killed the trade market - you can't get a good trade nowadays, I ued to buy to keep or to trade with other collectors. Nowadays there's no tradeing going on, thats the real shame here mate something that was once fun is just money now and you have to buy to sell to get the titles you want from say The US or another collector.

one last thing:

>I'm sure if you had 4 kids spare, you'd do exactly the same thing.

I wouldn't have given up full time work like these two did to go booting as a profession - they told CBK that themselves!

anyway, good luck at your next sale.

I wouldn't have given up full time work like these two did to go booting as a profession - they told CBK that themselves!

Yes that's right, they were going around telling everyone for some reason.

Keep in mind though 213 for them to give up work, sort of implies they had a job in the first place? Can you really see those pikeys working? I don't think so...

Myself and some of the other regulars (from the forum) are standing by having a chat and waiting for people to put stuff out - and then this pikey family start climbing in the back of the cars literally 3 or 4 at a time and start throwing all the shit everywhere because they thought they saw a couple of Megadrive games... I mean lets have a little respect for the sellers.

Its a joke now, and I don't remember seeing anything like this once in all of last year - now I get this shit every other week/few weeks when these nomads arrive.

Regards

I have to back up 213 and CBK on this one - the family we're referring to really are quite awful. They'd be in the boots of cars before the engine stopped if they managed to pop the trunk - really. I see the whole booting thing as an 'if you find something you like, fair play - if you don't, well... you've had a bit of exercise and been out in the air'.

it's not just about the games either, fleecing some mum selling her uni-bound son's copy of RSG for 50p because 'the writing's in japanese'. 213's example of the record buyers is perfect - they meet up, have a root around, chill out. if they see something they know is wortha few quid but someone else wants it, nine times out of ten they'll pick it up and pass it on to their mate for the same price.

now - let's quit the trolling and move on. it's nearly Saturday...

So what you're saying is, if you already had Panzer Dragoon Saga in your collection, and yet you saw it on Sunday at a car boot sale for £2.50, you'd leave it exactly where it was, because you only buy to extend your collection, never to eBay...?

Riiiiiight.

:P

I'd buy it and keep it next to my current copy, because that's person I am. I wouldn't eBay it. *points at his dupes of Puzzle Fighter II, Parappa etc*

I still argue I'm not trolling (I was pointing out a clash of intrests in my view), but as I don't know the exact pikies you are referring too, I cannot make full judgement. I've known perfectly pleasant pikies before. However, I still think that carbooting takes little skill and I don't see anyone trying to make a living out of it as any eviler than others who buy to resell/eBay.

Anyway, I find Cash Generator and it's ilk much more fruitful and easier to get to than Car Boots nowadays. They always seem to have something reasonable in cheap, but I'm not expecting to find anything pre-crash.

Calm down all of you.

Unnecessary.

Personally I agree with all the people thinking booting has got worse for gamers. It's just like Star Wars - you could pick up loads of cool stuff for a very small price. Then suddenly - anything vaguely Star Warsy gets a "£15 for that one mate - it's from Star Wars y'know" for a 50p Storm Trooper.

A situation I don't think will ever revert, although I look forward to mocking the people with Sealed in Packet Phantom Menace Figure! all turning up at a bootsale in 10 years or so when they are all fully worthless. The stupid hoarding band wagon jumping pieces of shit.

Games are doing the same - plenty of people seem to think "thats valuable mate - it's Retro" - and even pronounce the italics, like Retro games are new.

You can take peace in thinking of the listing fee's they will have for nabbing "R@RE Sonic 1 Cartridge SEGA SEGA unboxed" and trying to make a profit though.

Worth going round boot sales to get cool stuff still, anyone hoping to make a business of it though are fucked. You might find Saga, but then again you might find a priceless ming vase. But certainly assume you won't.

Worth going round boot sales to get cool stuff still, anyone hoping to make a business of it though are fucked. You might find Saga, but then again you might find a priceless ming vase. But certainly assume you won't.

Now that's a good point, well put.

Well done sir.

Accusing me of trolling ;) I just found it very ironic that you can call people names and using your "status" of having a games website you make to say you're any better than the "pikey scum". I just decided to make my post short and sweet as at the time I couldn't be arsed to justify it.

But... to me... it's the same end result, at the end of the day, whether it goes into the pockets of the "pikey scum" eBayers or the shoppers on your website paying a premium for the products offered. It doesn't give you any more right to do it whether you've been reselling for 4 years on a website or been selling on eBay for 2 weeks, afterall. Buying/selling takes very little real knowledge or effort, afterall.

>I just found it very ironic that you can call people names and using your "status" of having a games website you make to say you're any better than the "pikey scum".

I didn't use my 'status' as you put it to say I'm better, I was saying that I'm hardly 'jumping on the bandwagon' which is what I was accused of.

>Buying/selling takes very little real knowledge or effort, afterall.

Then why isn't everyone doing it and making a fortune? I think you'll find running a legitimate tax paying website, in between a full time job, a missus, footy mates and a borderline alcohol problem does take effort!

>Threatening physical violence is crossing the line, but if someone jumps you to a bargain I'm not offering you any sympathy.

I wasn't after sympathy. No-one beat me to a bargain. I *WAS* threatened.

I'm not sure what your bug-bear with me is; all I know is you are pretty out of order in what you have said about me, and obviously by the responses on this thread I'm not the only one who thinks it. I was a member of the Edge forum for over a year until it closed down and it was a well known fact I owned a website on there (username AndyB) and no-one ever saw it neccessary to insult me once. My third post on this board and you are flaming me with unjustified comments.

AndyB

I might be a bit late into today's debate but would endorse the views of all of those here, that this year has been tougher than ever.

Sure, I have most of the games I want in my collection, have traded loads in the past for some nice import stuff and have ebayed lots to fund new purchases, but so far this season - nearly half way through - I have found nothing to personally get excited about and that's what has always been my motivation for getting up early.

Sure the ebaying - now in my 6th year - is a side motivation and I'm not going to justify that to anyone. But the boot sales are full of new faces racing round to get the goodies...I know the same boot sales as 213 but I visit others and the situation is just the same. What is it about this area? I suffer from a market trader guy who brings the biggest bag he could possibly carry and he systematically sweeps the boot sales of games, videos, DVDs, basically anything a seller has slightly underpriced! My only hope is that he may not deal in anything pre-N64 but I doubt it.

Other guys I know who used to stick to toy collectibles now snap up SNESes because they still sell well. Or any boxed console for that matter. And Game and Watches. Basically the earlier point about acquiring knowledge being difficult was wide of the mark - it's easy if you stick to the obvious pick-ups, bit like Song of the South on VHS.

Final observation - this has definitely been the year of the glut of PS1 games, also plenty of PS2 at well under a fiver (never expected to pick up so many titles at less than £3, Fantavision for £1 anyone!) and lots of N64 out there. Otherwise, NES seems very scarce and not a lot of Saturn around. And no Game and Watches for me either, despite aforementioned toy collecting 'mates' who have found Panoramas and Crystal screens...arse.

Magicaldrop

Yeah I have noticed that the PS games have really started to flood into the boot sales and indeed the PS2 games. I managed to pick up GTA 3 for £2, bargain!

I'd buy it and keep it next to my current copy, because that's person I am. I wouldn't eBay it. *points at his dupes of Puzzle Fighter II, Parappa etc*

To be honest, how is this a good thing? You moan at people for ebaying stuff and yet you are worse as you're hoarding it! Why buy two copies of the same game and keep them both? Your entire argument falls down with that. YOU are denying other gamers the chance to play PDS. You might not like people ebaying BUT at least when I sell a game on ebay it is then available to gamers at a price they can choose to pay or not.

There is nothing wrong with buying stuff to sell on ebay. I earn a good wage, but I'm not minted, and if I can buy Saturn Bomberman for £1 and sell it for £40, which I then use to buy new games for myself, pah, more power to me.

The person I bought the Saturn and loads of games from was happy.

I was happy.

The person that bought the game on ebay was happy.

The only unhappy person appears to be you. Hey-ho, such is life.

Like the other booters on here I don't clamber into the backs of cars, rooting through people's stuff and generally being an arse. I rarely even bother to haggle unless I am buying lots. I also don't lie to people, as many of the pikeys I see do. One woman was selling a Saturn, with some decent games and a memory card thing. This pikey stood there and convinced her it was rubbish and worth bugger all, eventually buying it for a pittance. I wouldn't do that.

Most of what I buy is for my own collection.

... and yet you're also equally happy to line up duplicates of rare games on your own shelf just because they're 'collectable'?  That's so twisted I don't know whether to laugh or cry!

No... I buy cheap duplicates of any games. New, rare, or not. Hence why I have several copies of FIFA '95 on Megadrive, Sonic 1 (including the v1.1 Japanese revision) and, yes, a few rare games. I am sorry for keeping those copies of FIFA '95 away from eBayers as well as some of my less common duplicates.

I disagree with buying to resell.

Call me a hoarder. I probably am, sitting next to my 3 SNESes, 3 Mega Drives, 3 PSXes, 3 NESes, 6 Gameboys etc. But I get joy out of every single thing I own - no matter what system and I see it as better than buying exclusively to eBay.

2 copies also provides me one to keep mint, and one to play which is the ideal scenario for any pseudo-collector, no? If I obtained a third copy cheaply, I'd probably give it away to a mate.

I'm not sure what your bug-bear with me is; all I know is you are pretty out of order in what you have said about me, and obviously by the responses on this thread I'm not the only one who thinks it. I was a member of the Edge forum for over a year until it closed down and it was a well known fact I owned a website on there (username AndyB) and no-one ever saw it neccessary to insult me once. My third post on this board and you are flaming me with unjustified comments.

It wasn't a bugbear with you, I disagree with the whole practise. Your reply annoyed me enough to reply to it. It wasn't meant to be personal, but the post seemed very arrogant and it ticked me off sufficiently to bother replying. Do you see?

I also wasn't on the Edge forum. If you had, however, posted something similar on TheDVDForums, or when I used to frequent UGV* (are you the same Andy K?) I would have replied in exactly the same way. It's been well documentated that I disagree with buying to eBay and I don't make any secret of it.