Ninja Gaiden Gets an Upgrade

Was it just me who found it got a lot easier towards the end (except the cheeky nibbling ghosts before you realise you can use the fire wheels on them)? The last boss was a joke, especially when you stocked up on items, thinking it was going to be a nightmare.

I think the last boss is deliberately quite easy. I was fucking relieved after the previous three!

Also, anyone that gets to the end must be a ninja killing machine, fully versed in the ways on Ninpo, hand-to-hand combat and Legolas-accurate arrow-shooting.

As soon as I finished it I started it again on the same difficulty level. With my uber-skills I was able to toy with the level 1 ninjas like I was Pai Mei from Kill Bill 2. Brilliant stuff.

I definately couldn't skip it because I remember mashing my pad and screaming 'NOOOOOooooo!' in angst. I'd never got to a save point y'see, so when I started again it forced me to watch the intro again because it didn't have any record of me actually playing the game.

I could be wrong though, I'm sure I pressed every button.

I'm pretty sure you can.When you use any xbox game it creates a little file on the HDD anyway.So as long as you didn't delete that (You don't have to save) you could have skupped the intro, I did, Twice, And i didn't save.

Just a little strange that you didn't give the game a chance, Because you couldn't skip the opening.

But it doesn't really matter, And i'm just taking this thing way off topic.

New content = Ace.

I found that you have watch about the first 2 seconds of each cut-scene before the start button would allow you to skip. So you didn'y accidentally skip any. But you can definitely skip them first time.

I found that you have watch about the first 2 seconds of each cut-scene before the start button would allow you to skip. So you didn'y accidentally skip any. But you can definitely skip them first time.

Incidentally, and this is completely off-topic, when is some considerate developer going to add a 'pause' function to cut scenes?

I started playing MGS2 again the other day with the intention of trying to understand the story better. I found myself unable to concentrate on the half-hour's worth of unplayable opening scenes, in case my mum came in and spoke over a vital plot point, causing me to start the whole thing again.

Pause option > me shouting "bugger off!" to my parents

Yeah, my GF has an annoying habit of talking to me during lengthy cutscenes!

I once had to replay an entire section of Metal Gear Solid 'cos she phoned just after I beat a rock boss, and I didn't have the sense not to answer the phone!

Incidentally, and this is completely off-topic, when is some considerate developer going to add a 'pause' function to cut scenes?

Please don't remind me of the time I played Shenmue for ages and got to an important cutscene and then the phone rang in the front room, and I made the classic error of deciding it was unreasonable to let a videogame prevent me from answering the phone. Never again!

hmmm. this might give me the reason to fianlly buy Gaiden. any idea on how big the add-on will be?

i've only played the first level demo, and thought it was quite, quite fine - except for the bossman, but second time around i figured out how to give him a severe kicking without losing too much health.

:) Ive got a jap copy, no Ninja gaiden 1.1 for me :lol:

Why doesn't the "Make your PAL Xbox JPN thingmy" work with this game? I know it doesn't, but why? I have a JPN Xbox with PAL eeprom for LIVE. If I reverted back I suppose I'm still buggered, yes?

And what is the Master Ninja Tournament anyway? Multiplayer?

Oh well a PAL version should be cheapish by then anyway.

Come on guys, it's not that hard.

Ninja Gaiden is a challenging game, but it's not Viewtiful Joe on Adult by any stretch of the imagination.

The first boss dude can throw you a bit, but after that I didn't take more than a handful of attempts on any bosses (up to where I am) and some I beat first or second time...

And you get more skillful as you play, and learning is fun!

This is good news. A few things however.

The newer camera better transfer over into the normal game.

Master Ninja Tournament is the biggest missed opportunity ever. Why isn't it an 8 player online skirmish? Why isn't it a room where ninjas flood in and you have to defeat as many as possible?

Why is it that you play through the original game, and your final score is added to a shitty table? Garbage.

New Camera: Now we get into what makes Ninja Gaiden 1.1 a landmark Xbox Live download. Hearing the complaints of fans, Itagaki redid Gaiden's camera. You'll now have full 360 degree control of the camera. The camera will also be smarter, so you shouldn't have to worry about it being in too close or at the wrong angle when in a fight.

Landmark Xbox Live download?

Oh dear oh dear. Being the first xbox game to have bug fixes in a downloadable patch isn't something you should be proud of. This is something that has plagued PC gamers for many a long year. You wait, next they'll be releasing them unfinished and then releasing patches. Oh dear oh dear indeed...

To be fair, if they didn't fix the camera people would be screaming their heads off at them. I swear it's the reason half the boss battles are so difficult. Probably why they made it harder and faster as well - once they fixed the camera they realised it was far to easy.

I don't have Live. And I really want a Bo. ;)

Oh dear oh dear. Being the first xbox game to have bug fixes in a downloadable patch isn't something you should be proud of. This is something that has plagued PC gamers for many a long year. You wait, next they'll be releasing them unfinished and then releasing patches. Oh dear oh dear indeed...

But the camera isn't bugged. It's flawed, certainly but it never hampered my enjoyment one bit. In fact Ninja Gaiden is one of the most solid games of this generation.

They're just responding to user criticism, something that I wish other developers would do more often.

I think the camera is dreadful, truly awful.

I remember playing it last week, fighting off 3 soldiers and stopping and thinking 'I can't see a single one of these fucking guys'.

Right trigger

Right trigger

Sometimes it's not possible if you're backed against a wall. Some of the places are so narrow it's just all over the place.

The bit in question was the place you go after you get the guilitene throw. With the scarabs behind some fence.

A 360 degree camera is most welcome.

Ha! I knew it. I was wondering how long it would take someone to put the mockers on a free download done for love not money that extends the life of the game and addresses criticisms.

Firstly: don't have a go and Team Ninja for something that unscrupulous developers may or may not do at some unspecified point in the future.

Secondly: it's not a patch. It's basically a mini add-on pack such as the ones that you have to pay for for Pandora Tomorrow and PGR2

Thirdly: Yes, the camera can be very annoying. It's not a bug, it's just not perfect (I actually don't mind it at all). The fact that Team Ninja have listened to popular opinion and done something about it is good not bad.

Xbox Live has been going for ages now. People were bleating years ago that it would cause the Xbox games scene to end up like the PC one. Well, it hasn't. The only patches so far have been for multiplayer games, where glitches and imbalances are notoriously hard to predict until the game has been out for a while.

Xbox Live has been going for ages now. People were bleating years ago that it would cause the Xbox games scene to end up like the PC one. Well, it hasn't. The only patches so far have been for multiplayer games, where glitches and imbalances are notoriously hard to predict until the game has been out for a while.

Well that's fine, as long as it stays like that. There are many PC games that receive glorious add-ons just because the devs are awesome, but it just takes one lazy studio to spoil things.

My first post was slightly taking the piss anyway, I don't think the PC is anywhere near as bad as it used to be for this.

Well, let's wait and see what Reflections have up their sleeve.

Ah, just yankin' yer chain. Live has been okay for this - things like the .50 cal 'fix' in Rainbow Six are to be welcomed, as they certainly don't class as bugs. Likewise the Gaiden camera tweak.

I assume this is because Microsoft have taken a fairly hard line on what is and isn't acceptable - it'd do them a fair amount of damage if Xbox gained a reputation for buggy games as a result.

But buggy, rushed games clearly do come out. Driv3r and Galleon both sound like they could benefit from Live-delivered brush-ups. It's probably best they're not allowed to do that, though. However, what if Reflections released a pack for Driv3r that added some new cars, new modes or whatever, and included bug fixes? That's a grey area, it seems to me...

I don't want to get everyone to pile into the back of the DeLorean here, anyway. The Gaiden update sounds entirely laudable.

Aye it was.

How many zillions of games are there out there with shit cameras? That the developer has actually acknowledged the fact and made the effort to do something about it I think deserves some praise.

What are the chances of this getting tossed onto a cover disc for us non-Live enabled folks? If memory serves there were extra costumes for DOA3 on an OXM demo disc in the US, perhaps Tecmo would be kind enough to do the same with this...

Can I have my decapitations back mister Tecmo?

I do look forward to this though. There was little chance of me ever playing through it again. But, with an injection of new enimies, bosses and weapons I'm sure I could make time.

Also, Ninja Gaiden isn't that hard.

On the subject of patches, but slightly off topic, did anyone ever see the piece on Nintendo's websites about the Pokemon patch? Apparently there is a glitch in Ruby and Sapphire which can be fixed with Colloseum. Shocking.