IGNORED

Drummers, sound engineers & home recording artists

Juria

you mean the drum sequencer that always sounds like a dance samples drum machine? it's good for what it does but you can only record dancey things with it really

not if you change the samples to 'real' drums and move the resolution to something like, say, 1/16T. and move the number of thingys to something other than 16. and put some good reverb on it.

that reason book I got is AMAZING

User groove is your friend!

not if you change the samples to 'real' drums and move the resolution to something like, say, 1/16T. and move the number of thingys to something other than 16. and put some good reverb on it.

that reason book I got is AMAZING

User groove is your friend!

do you have any real drums I can borrow? I'll have to get that book then!

Cheers all, I'll have a play with Cubase in a moment.  Jules, is there any chance you could put that original link back up for a bit, I'd love to hear it?

I'll try to do it again. in the meantime I only have my girlfriend messing around on it 'live' just using her fingers on the keyboard rather than using the editor:

Mucking around

that's without any mixing or FXing

I'll try to do it again. in the meantime I only have my girlfriend messing around on it 'live' just using her fingers on the keyboard rather than using the editor:

Mucking around

that's without any mixing or FXing

Thanks for that, I clearly need much more practice, shame about the 9-5 trap I guess! I especially like that second bit.

Less Big Brother, more Cubase...

redrum is clearly the best though

That's what I was using for 6 hours last night! Yes, I'm tired again.

I did exactly what you said Duncan, looked around for a "rock" kit, then started programming a few simple beats. By the end of the evening I'd even managed to pull off a couple of reasonably convincing fills. Must put some reverb on though, like you said.

It still sounds artificial, because I haven't got into the more subtle nuances. One of my mates has been getting into this sort of thing, and he does stuff like making a "strong right arm" on stuff like two-handed snare fills. It sounds very good indeed.

Mind you, he's recording at home for his own pleasure, i.e. he's no longer in a band. My requirements are more to make quick demos so that I can bung a CD to the rest of the band and say "This is how it goes, whaddya think?". That's what our singer always does, and he's written all of our songs so far.

More drum programming for me at the weekend. I'm finding it tricky to do "pushes", i.e. when a snare or kick does something not quite on or off the beat, but somewhere in between. It's usually to accent a quirk in the song, or to quicken the pace a little. I've ended up compromising in most cases.

Worked out how to bounce a track down as a mix, and how to burn them onto a CD using Toast (I really am quite new to this). Now I can listen to my "doings" when I'm away from the Mac. It's already helping me to listen to it on my CD player on the train, because I can focus more clearly on what needs to be louder/quieter, without a load of audio tracks in front of me. Never thought I'd say it, but my vocals need to be turned up on most of them. Self-consciousness made me put them low in the mix.

Anyone else done any pottering?

I've done lots of writing, now today I'm going to do a lot of recording, yay.

I want to do a continuous snare drum roll like at the beginning of Too Many DJs by Soulwax but there ain't no waaaay. ;)

I've done lots of writing, now today I'm going to do a lot of recording, yay.

I want to do a continuous snare drum roll like at the beginning of Too Many DJs by Soulwax but there ain't no waaaay. ;)

I think snare-only fills are quite tricky, and it's where you need those subtle nuances of attack. It's not just a case of filling in all the beats with a hit on the snare, it sounds like a robot monkey drummer if you do that.

I'm finding it easier to pull off full rack fills, eg "1, 2, 3, Snare, Snare, Tom, Tom, Crash!", as the hits happen very quickly. It sounds like a proper fill for the split second it occurs. Could you imagine trying to programme a snare fill/build up like at the beginning of Territorial Pissings? Not that you'd want to, but you see what I mean.

What is FM7 Duncan?

FM 7 is a soft synth based on Yamaha's DX 7 synth.

basically, I had reaktor session, and NI offered an upgrade to everything they've done for 350 quid. being a sucker, I thought I'd get it, as I save about 1000 quid on the whole lot, and there's some good shit there. but also, obviously, I have to be a popstar to make the money back at some point. ;)

you can change the attack of snares and the like by toggling the hard medium and light thing on redrum. so try something like HMSMHMSMHMS

Nt Duncan but it's a Cubase VST built in that is an electronic drum kit

Ah, I see. I'm not using Cubase, but I can use VST plugins. I've just been adding effects to dry guitars and vocals (Rotator is great, I love putting stuff through a Leslie speaker).

If I put too many on, the system oveloads though.

doh I was thinking of the other thing, A .. something. Of course I can change the attackon my drums, each have got 20 different samples for each level of attack, but this the drumroll goes 'dugga-da-dugga-da-dugga-da-dugga-da-dugga-dugga' there's missing sounds for the roll

doh I was thinking of the other thing, A .. something. Of course I can change the attackon my drums, each have got 20 different samples for each level of attack, but this the drumroll goes 'dugga-da-dugga-da-dugga-da-dugga-da-dugga-dugga' there's missing sounds for the roll

jesus. how many samples? that's crazy. How much memory do you have?

you can change the attack of snares and the like by toggling the hard medium and light thing on redrum. so try something like HMSMHMSMHMS

Ah yes, I started looking at the different colours for attack strength, then filed it under "Too advanced to get into now". Maybe I'll go back when I've done a rough version, but to be honest, that's our drummer's job.

The keyboard I inherited (Roland JV-2000 or something) seems to be knackered, so I need some sort of cheap one with midi out. Did you know that you can get K-Stations for under £279 now?

Look:

http://www.soundslive.co.uk/moreinfo.asp?ID=87

I wish I wasn't skint, those things sound really cool. Wouldn't take up much space either.

Problem with that though is that if you want to tweak, you have to close everything down again, don't you? very annoying...

I have to close Reason before I can open Logic and vice versa. So if my loop doesn't work with the track, or I don't like the sound, I have to close Logic, re-open Reason, re-do the loop, close Reason, open Logic again....

Ah yes, I started looking at the different colours for attack strength, then filed it under "Too advanced to get into now". Maybe I'll go back when I've done a rough version, but to be honest, that's our drummer's job.

The keyboard I inherited (Roland JV-2000 or something) seems to be knackered, so I need some sort of cheap one with midi out. Did you know that you can get K-Stations for under £279 now?

Look:

http://www.soundslive.co.uk/moreinfo.asp?ID=87

I wish I wasn't skint, those things sound really cool. Wouldn't take up much space either.

Do you need the keyboard to have onboard sounds? You can get good midi controlers for really good prices. Think evolution/roland/ that kind of thing.

if you need sounds - look at this. I like the kstation, as I've kind of got one in my keyboard, but I lusted after this for AGES.

http://www.sub.co.uk/index.php?sec=proddet...e=KORGMICROKORG

I have to close Reason before I can open Logic and vice versa. So if my loop doesn't work with the track, or I don't like the sound, I have to close Logic, re-open Reason, re-do the loop, close Reason, open Logic again....

balls! if I were you, first thing I'd do is get some more memory, to be honest...