IGNORED

Backwards compatibility...

Unofficial Who

I think it is a shame so if we need a XBOX 2 for live and another XBOX 2 for emulation stuff. This will mean I will need another media cabient for next generation consoles.

But again I don't use PS2 backward compatability stuff as I only got one PS-One game.

Bonkers. I think anything that reduce number of console in the house is a good thing.

I think this is the first time it could be a real problem though due to the following: -

1. The generation gap is (one of) the shortest in recent memory (between Xbox 1 & 2);

2. The graphics (normally the easiest way of identifying a 'step-up' in power) probably won't be massive;

3. There are still a number of Xbox titles out (and possibly to come) that could be long-term enough to keep playing.

I would like backward compatability, based on the games I have and the percieved 'extra-value' in being able to pick up late gen Xbox games dirt cheap.

I just feel that the PS1 to PS2 transistion was more pronounced in terms of material difference than I imagine Xbox 1 to 2 will be. Although admittedly I know nothing.

I play quite a few of my PSOne games on the PS2. Mainly for space reasons. Sometimes for technical reasons. (The old SNES ports of Final Fantasy 4-6 are a little better with the fast load option set to on.) Sometimes for curiousity reasons. (What do some old titles look like with Texture Smooting set to on.)

In fact, I'm playing Suikoden 2 on it right now.

I use the PS1 compatibility on the PS2 quite a bit actually - currently playing through FF9 with texture smoothing and fast loads on and they both improve things quite a bit. Plus it's another box I don't have to keep under the telly, which helps.

With Xbox there's another aspect - current Xbox Live games will "die" pretty rapidly without backward compatibility.

Still, I don't think it's a major, major problem: after all, we're all going to buy an Xbox 2 regardless. Aren't we?

Still, I don't think it's a major, major problem: after all, we're all going to buy an Xbox 2 regardless. Aren't we?

Nope. The gamecube launch taught me a lot. It was the first time I had bought a system at launch and it will be the last time I do so as well. Early adoption of systems sucks. Big time. You pay more for fewer games.

I'll wait 6+ months for them all, just like I did with the Xbox, (and in the case of the PS2 2-3 years)

I was disappointed to read this. Yeah, it's not *essential* but its an extremely comfortable luxury. I recently went back to FFVII, and the first game I used my PS2 for was FFIX. I'd like to do the same with my Xbox titles in the future.

If you name your machine Xbox 2 (Or Xbox Next) consumers will expect it to play Xbox games. I read the PS3 and Nintendo Revolution will be backwards compatible (how true this is I don't know...) though.

Nope.  The gamecube launch taught me a lot.  It was the first time I had bought a system at launch and it will be the last time I do so as well.  Early adoption of systems sucks.  Big time.  You pay more for fewer games.

I'll wait 6+ months for them all, just like I did with the Xbox, (and in the case of the PS2 2-3 years)

Same thing here. I always wait now, and I've got a big enough backlog to justify waiting. I haven't even got an X-Box yet. There are two X-Box titles I really want (Halo and KOTOR) but the large pile of untouched GC, PS2, PC, GBA and retro games make the purchase of another console unfeasible.

Backwards compatibility is a huge selling point for me, it made the PS2 an almost must buy in mour house. (Although you could successfully argue that the X-Box modded is the ultimate in backwards compatibility.)

2.  The graphics (normally the easiest way of identifying a 'step-up' in power) probably won't be massive;

Good point, 3rd generation Xbox titles from skilled developers could look as nice as 1st gen X2Z titles from a crap developer. And of course, graphics are always a draw for games. And if it still looks good, people will still buy it.

The first (and currently only) console I've bought at (UK) launch is the GBA SP.

Everything else I've had to wait a few months for because of practical limitations. I'm going to face some tough choices when the PSP and NDS arrive. Thank goodness for importers to report on how good a console is...

It is getting out of hand I mean you could buy PS3, NR, XBOX 2, PSP, GBA DS and possibly new PC in next 2 years for 2.5 grand perhaps. Not forgetting games, new scart cables, TV, amp, speakers, projector, etc.

But again a waiting game might be ideal but I do think I will buy XBOX 2 on launch depending on money.

Lack of backwards compatibility for any of the new consoles would be a bit annoying from my point of view. I want to be able to play games from the last generation (currently one of the things my PS2 is mostly used for), and my setup already has more than enough consoles and wires and not enough free RGB connections even with a switchbox, and just barely enough sockets even with one of those 4-in-1 things. (I also don't like the idea of trying to play older games on an old machine that's struggling to work). Admittedly Microsoft would find it difficult to implement backwards compatibility given the architecture they've chosen, but it still would have benefitted everyone, and if the step up this time round isn't impressive, I can imagine backwards compatibility being even more of a draw than it is now.

I admit I was wrong in thinking that Microsoft would screw up the Xbox, but this time they seem to be determined to mess up Xbox 2. No backwards compatibility will stop me buying one for a good few years, no hard drive seems to be a mistake as well. I also think that 2005 (or Easter 2006 over here most likely) is too soon. Live is only just taking off in Europe, hopefilly by this time next month I will be fully Live'd up and I for one am not going to abandon it in a hurry.

There was no chance of backwards compatibility with the change in processor and graphics card from Xbox 1 to Xbox 2.

Can you imagine nVidia allowing ATI to "emulate" their Xbox graphics card? I think not.

Still, it isn't such a huge thing. I never play PSone titles on my PS2 for instance.

There was no chance of backwards compatibility with the change in processor and graphics card from Xbox 1 to Xbox 2.

Can you imagine nVidia allowing ATI to "emulate" their Xbox graphics card? I think not.

Still, it isn't such a huge thing. I never play PSone titles on my PS2 for instance.

But a lot do. And with the introduction of casual users in our ranks there is going to be more of an expectation for backwards compatibility.

You can still play CD's of recordings made for most of the last century. Ditto for movies. Why should game consoles be any different?

But a lot do. And with the introduction of casual users in our ranks there is going to be more of an expectation for backwards compatibility.

You can still play CD's of recordings made for most of the last century. Ditto for movies. Why should game consoles be any different?

Yep, I get your point but I don't think it is going to make or break the console. Either way, I can't wait to see what it can do! :)

I won't mind as long as I get new JSR and DOA:XBV games for it.

That will never happen, so it's annoying, but I guess the first machine is good to hang on to because of all the emulation and media player stuff it's got anyway.

I think it is disappointing if Xbox2 is not backwards compatible. I've yet to buy an Xbox, but I'm thinking of getting one sometime this year (Halo 2, Outrun 2 :) ) but I must admit I feel a little more cautious if I have to bear in mind that I may need to buy ANOHTER Xbox not too far ahead into the future.

THEY ARE TOO BIG TO OWN TWO!!!!

Does anyone actually know how this is percieved to the mass (i.e casual) market - we all know that the mainstream seems to be led very much by marketing and hype. It occurs to me that these people wouldn't want to by an Xbox1 title to play on an Xbox2 anyway, because of something like "the graphics are crap on Xbox 1 init"

...and even if it was backwards compatible, what's going to happen to all these original Xbox's anyway, stacks of them pilled high at carboots for £10 a pop ?

If backwards compatability can be done easily, then I'm all for it, in the case of the PS2 it was sticking 1 more intergrated chip on the mainboard, but it's way more complex for the Xbox2 - and I'd prefer them to not have to stiffle their hardware design in order to keep bc.

Does anyone really use it *that* much... I've never seen a GBA SP being played with a GBC cart sticking out of it, and I've never felt the need to moan that I can't stick my N64 carts in my GC.

...and even if it was backwards compatible, what's going to happen to all these original Xbox's anyway, stacks of them pilled high at carboots for £10 a pop ?

Ooh, yes please, I've been teetering on the brink of chipped Xbox emumania for a while now...

The main problem I would see with the backwards compatability would be the save files which are stored on the Hard Disk, many of which cannot be put onto a memory card either due to protection or the fact they are to large. So you would have to play through many games again to unlock aspects for things like multiplayer. I can see the reasons why they haven't (or might not) support backwards compatability, and tbh I have no problem with it as it is a very rarely used feature of my PS2. But the Xbox2 must be smaller so I can fit both box's under my TV :)

Seeing as my Xbox is chipped anyway it'll be staying right where it is.

Do I really need to play Xbox games on the Xbox2?

No, not really.

The only time I've ever done it with the PS2 was to try it out and if it meant it'd cost a lot more - definitely no.

To be fair to Microsoft they're putting a lot of effort into Xbox 2 (Or Xenon as they are calling it :) ) and the lack of backwards compatability will be forgotten when the new features are revealed. They are making a genuine effort to streamline the console and make every feature great rather than many avarege ones.