IGNORED

What games have good story.

Sonic.Mirrorz

Shadow of Memories is absolutely divine.

I got this on the back of Consolevania* (was only a tenner) and just couldn't get into it. Was also strangely annoyed by the lens flare coming out of a BLACK door in the intro. I really wanted to like it but it seemed really aimless.

* Might have got the wrong game :)

Most of these have already been mentioned, but may as well reiterate:

Little Big Adventure 1 & 2

Beyond Good & Evil

The Longest Journey

Grim Fandango

Deus Ex

Guardian Heroes (no, really. Just so many routes!)

NiGHTS: Into Dreams (well I liked it when I was 13...)

The offline mode of Phantasy Star Online Episode III has no random battles and is chock full of story, as well as being brilliantly illustrated in a series of stills.

Is this really any good? Most of the print reviews I've seen have been mediocre but gamerankings gives it a 70-80% average. When I first saw the release it appealed to the stats-geek in me but I was put off by the print reviews and also having too many time consumers in my "to play" pile.

Is this really any good? Most of the print reviews I've seen have been mediocre but gamerankings gives it a 70-80% average. When I first saw the release it appealed to the stats-geek in me but I was put off by the print reviews and also having too many time consumers in my "to play" pile.

I'm hooked. It's worth playing just to see a man in platform shoes take out a group of large robots with a paper fan.

I really like Prince of Persia's story. From the playable intro ('honour and glory'), to the Prince's thoughts, the sexual innuendo between him and Farah and the excellent ending, it's simple but very well told.

and Homeworld 1/2, with superbly stylised storytelling cutscenes.

Best cutscenes ever.

True facts.

EDIT: Plus credits music by Yes! YES!! I MEAN YES! That song is awesome though (I probably wouldn't say that if it wasn't in the game).

EDIT: A QUESTION OF ORIGIN! WAAAA WAAA WAAA WAAA!!

The Longest Journey

(I dont think I've played a game with a more involving, intelligent and well written story. I always find it funny that the worst game plots usually come from english language developers and the best come from japan or in this case norway. Its one of the few adventure games that reaches its potentual, always looks great, never runs out of steam and where the plot is explained perfectly and is an actual story with meaning rather than some sub-hollywood mills&boon type thing..)

Beneath A Steel Sky, Broken Sword 1-3 (Fantastic games, the pick of revolution's adventures. BASS feels like its straight from the pages of 2000AD and BS is like a british humour cross between tintin and monkey island. Both are legandary and some of the best games of their genre.)

Lucas Arts Adventures (can be bought in packs from game or amazon) The Dig, Sam & Max, Day of The Tenticle, Monkey Island series, Grim Fandango..

Discworld Noir (is out on infogrames budget)

Syberia 1/2 (not as good as the games above, the most highly regarded recent adventure games..)

Shadow Of Memories (the next generation of adventure, what broken sword 3 promised to be and never was..)

Everblue 1/2 - v.underrated, slow and odd, with a plot thats funnny because of its poor translation and general crapness. Half the game is a point and click adventure, the rest is a deep sea diving game, very relaxing to play..

Also look up Gregory Horror Show (unique and the best game of last year that no-one has heard of), Glass Rose (average really), Ephemeral Fantasia (RPG with very sharp/witty script)..

If someone is actually being serious about Max Payne 2, then I have to say Fallout and Fallout 2. And Torment. Again. But not KotOR.

Yes, maybe and yes ;)

And I can't quite understand how people can say that KOTOR has an amazing story - it's very well told, yes, but the story is, well, just your typical Star Wars fare...

Half Life

I knew someone was bound to say this. But seriously, what story does Half Life actually have?

experiment gone wrong, alien outbreak, scientists die, you try to escape without joining them.

Marines turn up, and you think they've come to help, then in the only one plot twist of the game (obvious, badly realised and wholly un-cinematic as it is) they kill a scientist and you realise then that they want to kill you too.

Oh, and there's a tie-straightening man who's always out of reach, but actually has only a few words of dialogue right at the end of the game... otherwise, all of the standard conventions of a story - character development of central protagonist, emotive bonds to NPC's, ties to the world that make you sympathise with gordon and want to keep him alive... none of it's really there.

What passes for narrative depth in Half Life is scientists babbling about routes to the next area, before being felled by some foul beast in a comedy set piece manner.

It's a wonderful FPS, but put next to other story-based games of the era... Metal Gear solid, Zelda OoT, Syphon Filter and co. (because we always argued about these games vs Half Life when I was at school) it's a poor example of interactive storytelling on anything other than an arbitary level.

*disclaimer - for the record, i actually quite like Half Life, but as an example of thoughtful first person shooting, not deep absorbing narrative-driven adventure.

I got this on the back of Consolevania* (was only a tenner) and just couldn't get into it. Was also strangely annoyed by the lens flare coming out of a BLACK door in the intro. I really wanted to like it but it seemed really aimless.

* Might have got the wrong game ;)

Yeah, it was recommended in Consolevania - it really is brilliant. I loved the concept of it being a "digital novel", and was really looking forward to the director's next one, which was mentioned as being a work-in-progress but never materialized. :)

I knew someone was bound to say this. But seriously, what story does Half Life actually have?

Ask yourself this (before Half Life 2 is out and makes my five year old theory look like crap.)

Is Gordon Freeman a hero?

Or a terrorist?

Did he get caught up in someone else's plot?

Or was he the saboteur?

Some of the best storytelling in a game ever: Gothic 1 & 2- Truly epic story, extremely nice build up to a "I didn't see that coming" ending. And freeform(ish) game progression as well. Absolutely hot stuff and should not be missed by anyone that enjoy a good story in games.

www.gothic2.com

Having just finished Ninja Gaiden and started playing through it again, I have to say I really enjoyed the story (for an action game I mean - it's hardly complex). Colourful characters, mystery - quite hackneyed, but still enjoyable.

Yes, maybe and yes :blink:

And I can't quite understand how people can say that KOTOR has an amazing story - it's very well told, yes, but the story is, well, just your typical Star Wars fare...

I see what you're saying, but a simple story well told and integrated with such absorbing gameplay a la KOTOR can be amazing, especially for Star Wars fans I should imagine. I'm not particularly into Star Wars but I love that game <_<

I see what you're saying, but a simple story well told and integrated with such absorbing gameplay a la KOTOR can be amazing, especially for Star Wars fans I should imagine. I'm not particularly into Star Wars but I love that game :D

Oh, it's a great game certainly, and nicely immersive, but still hardly a great story :lol:

(See also: Shenmue, except that manages to be even more immersive thus making it one the best games evaaaar! [KOTOR is just one of the best games in the past few years :(])

These have already been mentioned but do have really interesting stories:

Thief: Deadly Shadows, KOTOR, Prince of Persia, Broken Sword, Eternal Darkness.

If you're into Shenmue, then you might want to give Majora's Mask a try. It has a town full of people to talk to, stalk and solve problems for.

Seaman has an interesting tale to tell, plus he will psycho analyse you for free.

Going way back in time you might wanna give Shadow Run on the SNES a look.

Both Max Payne 1 & 2 have excellent stories that are well-told (in their own style). I can't see why the opinion among certain hardcore gamers is that Max Payne is crap.

Because if you strip away the bullet time then there's nothing but the tedious progression from one cliched location to another, taking out the same sort of enemies again and again. That's fine if you've never played a 3D action adventure before, but most of us have so it's painfully dull.

As for the plot, I find the delivery painful. Why does Max Payne talk in similes and use such faux-poetic imagery? It just sounds laughable. If it's trying to spoof trashy paperback crime thrillers then it does a good job but since it's evidently trying to be taken seriously the plot is just execrable. Again, if you like it then who am I to tell you not to but I'm giving my opinion in case it sheds some light on 'why the opinion among certain hardcore gamers is that Max Payne is crap'.

Because if you strip away the bullet time then there's nothing but the tedious progression from one cliched location to another, taking out the same sort of enemies again and again. That's fine if you've never played a 3D action adventure before, but most of us have so it's painfully dull.

As for the plot, I find the delivery painful. Why does Max Payne talk in similes and use such faux-poetic imagery? It just sounds laughable. If it's trying to spoof trashy paperback crime thrillers then it does a good job but since it's evidently trying to be taken seriously the plot is just execrable. Again, if you like it then who am I to tell you not to but I'm giving my opinion in case it sheds some light on 'why the opinion among certain hardcore gamers is that Max Payne is crap'.

It never crossed my mind that Max Payne took itself seriously. I always thought that the whole pulpy crime thriller vibe was deliberate. It has all the pulpy 40's Hollywood bases covered- man on the run, those he trusts dying around him, femme fatale. It coudn't be more noir if the villians were art dealers and property developers to a man.