IGNORED

Metal Arms

strider

Went back to this again last night and it's a great little arcade/platformer cum shooter. You're little droid comes out with some classic oneliners and is quite a cute little fella and the whole game has a healthy amount of humor.

There's plenty of nice little touches littered throughout the game and I love the way your droid can control other droids (ala Paradroid) and then run rampant with them, turning them against their allies.

Sure, it shamelessly rips ideas from pratically every other genre out there, but despite all this it feels incredibly refreshing and I really hope that Vivendi anounce a sequel.

I bought this ages ago (£15 Ebay) and thought it was superb. The variety in scenes kept the game alive, the humour was...well...humourous, and the balance in difficulty was just perfect. I've dug it out a few times since and ended up playing it all the way through again.

Bring on the sequel I say.

If you can get past that first little leap of faith (little?) on the training level, its great . But I nearly gave up after trying that 20 odd times.

Please tell me that wasn't just me being shite. It was hard...

I didn't have any problems with the training level, but there are parts of the game that are rock hard. The number of times I must have repeated a few bits probably runs into triple figures (I'm thinking of those hideous zombie-droid things).

Is it just me or does the game go on for absolutely ages? It's not a bad thing though, it's so fun I'll take as much of it as I can get.

OK, OK. It turned out to be an easy bit, but I had to find the exact bit of cliff to jump off, and it took a lot of times to get right. After that it was a good game, until then it was frustrating.

I expect it was a bit like Driver was for people who couldn't get out of the car park. Nails.

Which format is the definitive version? I need to know before I splash the cash.

According to Game Rankings with over 150 reviews, the average rankings are:

XBox - 83.2%

PS2 - 83.2%

GC - 79.7%

Although Gamespot say:

For a multiplatform game, the quality of Metal Arms' graphics is pretty wide-ranging across the three platforms. The Xbox version is far and away the best looking of the three--it features lots of nice dynamic lighting and some subtle textural effects on its surfaces, such as highlights on metal. The GameCube version is actually not too far behind the Xbox version--it looks almost as good in terms of effects, though its frame rate is noticeably lower. Alas, the PS2 version of Metal Arms really brings up the rear, since it lacks even much of the basic lighting that makes the other two versions look good, and it suffers from serious frame rate problems during intense battles.

now... changing the avatar to that is just not cricket... while I find the discussions quite fun and animated... some of us read this stuff at work, and well.. I'd rather the avatars were work safe.

tsk...

indeed, still it proves what a sad little git he is and that's good enough for me.

I played it for the first time about an hour ago, on the Xbox. It certainly looks nice, I like the controls as well, 1st person controls applied to 3rd person always works well. Only spent about 30 minutes on it, wasn’t always quite sure where to go though, but did find a few holes to blast out and troops to recruit. Switched off to go to bed after running around for about ten minutes not quite knowing where next.

I know the jump you mean deepblue, took me a few attempts, after failing a number of times I thought I wasn’t meant to complete it and took off in another direction and met up with droids who did not react to me. Backtracked, failed at the jump again and got killed. I then stuck close to the heals of the two leading droids and saw where they jumped. Seems to help if you delay your second button press a bit.