IGNORED

What is Retro for you?

Gabe

The term retro has many connotations, and it is interesting to note what people in this day and age consider 'retro'.

Seeing the post about the GamesTM retro section mentioning Half-Life made me wonder what you folks consider a retro system/period.

Do you think your definition is defined solely by your age now? Or are there universally agreed 'cut-off' periods (say, prior to the birth of the PlayStation)? Or the end of the 8/16-bits?

And what do people consider PC retro would comprise of? DOS only? Pre-Win 3.1?

Nothing's "Retro" to me, it's all gaming,

I don't watch "Retro films", listen to "Retro music" or read "Retro books".

That's a bit different, though. You don't need an old machine to watch many old films, as many old films are released on DVD. You don't need old technology to listen to old music, as many old albums are released on CD. You don't need old technology to read old books, as your eyes can still read old books. To play old games, you do need old equipment, unless you play remakes or compilations of old games.

Interesting point, though. And maybe a good one. Just thought I'd argue against it anyway.

For me, a "retro" game is one that is pre-Playstation, but that may be for personal reasons as I sort of lost touch with gaming around then, so anything that came out while I was still in my first phase of videogame fandom is retro to me, and anything that came out after that isn't. Also, you can still buy new Playstation games. That said, if the definition of retro means "format for which you can no longer buy new games", then arguably the Dreamcast is a retro console, even though it's much newer than the Playstation.

Anyway. It's anything pre-PS as far as I'm concerned.

That's a bit different, though. You don't need an old machine to watch many old films, as many old films are released on DVD. You don't need old technology to listen to old music, as many old albums are released on CD. You don't need old technology to read old books, as your eyes can still read old books. To play old games, you do need old equipment, unless you play remakes or compilations of old games.

http://www.zophar.net/windos.phtml B)

Curses!

I still think games are a bit different - you could go into a shop and buy a book written in the 1920s, a CD of music recorded in the 1960s or a DVD of a film made in the 1930s, but you can't buy many discs of games made pre-2000. There are exceptions, but as a rule they don't exist, perhaps because videogames are in their infancy compared to cinema, literature (novels) and (pop) music.

Officially I'd say it was anything more than 10 years old and not in production like a 3DO or PS1 launch titles or something.

Personally I'd say anything 8-bit - as watching a megadrive play sonic isnt exactly going to make you yearn for the"good old days",while a Speccy or a C64 probably would.

Retro is, for me, something you can no longer buy, but I don't care, all retro is mainly good, from the Dreamcast and Playstation to the Amiga and Spectrum, gaming goodness right there and sometimes cheap as well, depending on whether you are after a wanted game or system.

While i kind of think retro is systems that are not supported anymore, on the other hand im not really sure if i would call the N64, PS1, Saturn and DC retro. Mainly because they just dont seem as old as the snes/megadrive and earlier stuff like the spectrum and commodore 64.

So lots of people have explained how they think retro is a system no longer made or supported or similar. That applies to consoles. But what about PC? It's still made and is older than the majority of retro systems. So what constitutes a retro game on PC?

I was also surprised to see Half-Life in the Retro section of Games TM. I wouldn't have classed that as retro yet. But I'm not sure when something on PC becomes retro.

So lots of people have explained how they think retro is a system no longer made or supported or similar. That applies to consoles. But what about PC? It's still made and is older than the majority of retro systems. So what constitutes a retro game on PC?

I was also surprised to see Half-Life in the Retro section of Games TM. I wouldn't have classed that as retro yet. But I'm not sure when something on PC becomes retro.

Yeah, I guess with consoles it is easier to draw a line under what classifies as retro (although it is not easy o agree), but other than using Windows revisions as a guide, what else could you use? Switch to 3dfx GPU's? CPU changes?

For me I would just pick an arbitrary date in the past and use that; around '94 / 95 was when I really moved to PC gaming, so I would just pick pre'97 as retro. But that is no real justificaion.

So how to choose? Heck - everything PC is retro. There ya go, simple. :rolleyes:

on the PC front I'd see TIE FIGHTER, X WING and MECHWARRIOR 2 being retroy to me

i loved those games, really wondered how much time I played them :)

This maybe a little off topic, but gamestations trade in prices for old DC games

likes of grandia 2, shenmue, soul calibur

think I'm gonna put some of them towards an XBOX, so i can chip it and use it to watch anime on my tele 

any advice?

DirectX 9.0 is retro, 9.1b isn't? :)

Half Life is a bit of a special case anyway, because it's been released so many times. And never really been utterly superceded (think of the way the story is told *within* the game, without huge reams of text).

In the year of release (1998) the following were also released:

Grim Fandango.

Starcraft.

Baldur's Gate (which really does show its age now, with the restricted resolution and all... perhaps that's our definition?!).

i think of retro as the generation before the last, which ecludes 64,ps1 and saturn and the dc is technically this generation, for point in case i sight DOA2 being visualy better on the DC than the PS2