Nokia N-Gage - £49.99

Unlighty

I'm not really convinced by the whole mobile phone games thing, the user interface requirements just don't quite seem to gel together nicely.

Phones are really best if you could do everything with one hand, whereas with games it's usual to have a d-pad and buttons separated. Why on earth did the QD designers put the pick up and hang up buttons where they are, if I get a call I want to be able to pick up the phone and accept or reject a call one handed.

The phone PDA hybrids seem to be doing slightly better - I've got an SE P900 which works quite well - though there are some aspects of the interface that annoy me somewhat.

The entire mobile phone industry is still baffled by Nokia's decision to put the screen vertical, and not "do a wonderswan" and have it rotate.

Otherwise it is true, the NGage is a very nice piece of kit. You can even mod it so you can talk into it normally (some Nokia reps have them like this).

also for those not feeling the NGAGE love you clearly haven't used one properly.

amen to that! most people just dont get it do they? (unfortunately most are on this forum!) anyway, in reply to the earlier question of where to go for ngage stuff, try www.aivanet.com

QD Sucks!! The original is the best! There is no problem with the size or how you talk into it! Plus it actually comes with MP3 & Radio functions without the need to download software! You'll also find the buttons more spaced out an easier to press and a better interface! The menu's on the QD are seriously sh*t!

QD Sucks!! The original is the best! There is no problem with the size or how you talk into it! Plus it actually comes with MP3 & Radio functions without the need to download software! You'll also find the buttons more spaced out an easier to press and a better interface! The menu's on the QD are seriously sh*t!

these are the words of a scorned ngage owner! shouldve waited for the qd!

Surely using one "properly" involves using it as the manufacturer intended, and therefore just running N-Gage games on it?

So which are the good N-Gage games?

Well, I've got two for mine

Tomb Raider - never really got into TR until No2 so this was a nice game for me - it looks great on the Ngage with reasonably decent 3d and plays well ( apart from Laras autorun )

Sonic - not so hot. Its OK, but no better than any of the other sonic games.

It's cool, I got both N-Gages for free from Nokia.

The first is better for features, although it's too big and the side talkin is naff.

QD is smaller, more compact and nice and shiny. :rolleyes:

The menu system is absolute crap on the QD though - all the icons are terrible; it takes some time to adjust. Although menu items can be re-ordered though.

MMC slot is nice, but lack of Firewire-to-USB (i think that's what it is) and stereo sound is just stupid.

Buttons are nicer on QD, but the keypad is much too cramped together.

Dont like the center dpad button being moved to a seperate button, feels werid and out of place, plus the original ngage has the loverly usb feature for putting stuff onto the memory card, radio and mp3. I like mine V. MUCH!

Well, I've got two for mine

Tomb Raider - never really got into TR until No2 so this was a nice game for me - it looks great on the Ngage with reasonably decent 3d and plays well ( apart from Laras autorun )

Sonic - not so hot. Its OK, but no better than any of the other sonic games.

Hmm. I've played both of these.

Tomb Raider was better on the Playstation - you could see more to the left and right and that really helped when you were exploring.

Sonic is much, much better on the GBA, simply because of the screen shape.

What else is worth investigating?

I bought an N-gage battery off the net for about a fiver from Hong Kong. No problems.

Free games = follow the links from earlier in the thread, download the game, hook up your usb, transfer. You'll need the blizzard installer for most of them.