IGNORED

Japanese Movies

Crhis

Hana Bi is quite literally the perfect blend of comedy, sentimentalism, beauty and action I have ever seen in a movie. One of my top movies ever, and a definite recommendation.

And my wife is a complete Naussicaa otaku, so I've been drawn into that too. A fine anime film and comic series.

And Totoro, just for the cuteness factor.

Seven Samurai's a definite. Ran too. Kagemusha's brilliant.

Grave of the Fireflies is a MASTERPIECE.

But, really, Takeshi films are what you want. Get yourself your Sonatine, Boiling Point, Violent Cop and Hana-Bi and you're laughing.

R.

Yes yes yes.

Forget all the horror shite. It's crap.

No no no.

Most Japanese horror is crap, but generally the stuff we get over here is the better end of the scale. Much as you'll disagree, Ring is a fucking great horror movie, as is Juon. It's just that every Japanese horror movie maker since seems to think that creepy children + supernatural goings = good movie, when most of the time it doesn't.

And don't bother with Dark Water. It's well directed, but very underwhelming apart from that.

I'll also give a second thumbs up to Millenium Actress and add Perfect Blue, as no-one seems to have mentioned it so far.

What kind of films are you primarily after? If you want a good sample, head to dddhouse and browse their Japanese section. There are a lot of films in the 100 Years of Japanese Cinema collection that will give you a nicely rounded selection.

For classics, you've got the Kurosawas, which are all cheap on dddhouse too, but then they're everywhere. Other classic Japanese directors to look out for are Yasujiro Ozu, Kinji Fukasaku (who did Battle Royale, but that was a very late entry in his career), Seijun Suzuki, Yoji Yamada (who directed the excellent Twilight Samurai as recommended above, as well as the "Tora-San" series) and Masaki Kobayashi (especially Kwaidan). There are many others, including popular contemporary directors like Shunji Iwai, Hideo Nakata, Takeshi Kitano (try to get A Scene at the Sea for something utterly different) and Takashi Miike.

I'd recommend trawling the dddhouse listing even if you don't buy from them, and combine that with looking titles up on IMDB to get an idea of what to look out for. If a particular films seems to get a lot of praise, check out the director's filmography (also on IMDB). Japanese directors tend to be very prolific.

Another excellent resource is Midnight Eye, which is a far better critical resource than IMDB.

Japanese cinema is the most interesting ot there, in my opinion; I've found a wealth of titles that reach far beyond the usual manga / horror / samurai classics (though some of those are certainly wonderful). Some good titles to check out that perhaps aren't among the usual batch:

Eureka, Tokyo Zance (a great collection of short films), Ohayo, Ikiru, Kwaidan, A Scene at the Sea, Branded to Kill, Ping Pong, Onibaba...

It could go on for some time - I say browse a few sites and get an idea of what you mght like. Spend a little cash at dddhouse - the prices are so cheap it's not really much of a gamble, and you could end up with something that has a great impact on how you feel about cinema.

Some of my favs are:

Postman blues

Unlucky monkey

Monday

Sonatine

Hanna-bi

Kids return

Boiling point

versus (you'll either hate it or love it)

You cant go wrong with akira kurosawa's films either

Hana Bi is quite literally the perfect blend of comedy, sentimentalism, beauty and action I have ever seen in a movie. One of my top movies ever, and a definite recommendation.

and it so incredebly relaxing to watch, it's by far my fav Beat Takeshi.

Just got Grave of the Fireflies for 54 p on eBay. Twilight Samurai soon to follow, and Wonderful Life hopefully.

Don't worry though I'm going to take a good look at the rest of the suggestions too !

Drat, taste-ridden people already mentioned 'Onibaba' and 'Tetsuo' - seriously, do watch them. An odd suggestion - try 'Kitami'. Patchy but has a couple of beguiling visual moments which make it very worthwhile. And 'Ai No Corrida' of course - so good the BBFC even edited it so they could give it a certificate, that's GOT to be a compliment.

Just got Grave of the Fireflies for 54 p on eBay. Twilight Samurai soon to follow, and Wonderful Life hopefully.

Don't worry though I'm going to take a good look at the rest of the suggestions too !

Good man! 54p though ;) just make sure it's good quality, original japanese and official subtitles.

This is the Planescape Torment of movies: Underrated, unheard of, hard to find yet possibly the greatest war movie ever made.

Hyperbole? I don't think so: I went to see this movie after seeing spirited away on the recommendation of my brother who kept going on about this miyazaki and studio ghibli. Absolutely loved it, so I went to see a showing of this studio ghibli movie called grave of the fireflies at my uni thinking it would be more disneyesque cartoon loveliness, as I had literally no idea what this was about from the moment it started. So the movie started with noise going round, a bit of talking etc...

Almost two hours later the end credits roll and I feel a massive lump in my chest, the room is dead quiet, no one gets up or puts on their coat, for a minute everyone is just sitting there without saying a word.

It could be how I approached the movie with no idea of what to expect and the cinema conditions i watched it in but no movie ever has had this much emotional impact on me. And I've seen most so-called emotional movies. Requiem for a Dream was nothing but clever shock tactics.

I feel strongly about this one :D

Sod it, if people are going to suggest animated films then so am I!

1. Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind. Best sci-fi/fantasy film evaaar!

2. Both Patlabor films. Best mecha films evaaar! (Mainly because the mecha barely feature ;))

3. Interstella 5555. Interesting if you want to see a nice example of 'different' concept as well as seeing what happens when Japanese and French people collaborate on a project.

4. Er, that's about it really. There are other movies, but they're either so well known (Akira), really only recommendable to anime fans (Gunbuster) or have simply been mentioned already so many times that I don't think they warrant bringing up again. What can I say, when it comes to anime I tend to prefer series... [and as mentioned before I know few non-animated Japanese movies]

The Eye is probably my favourite. Eye 2 is nothing special though, but nowhere near as bad as the terrible Ju-On 2.

Hero ranks for me as the best Japanese movie Ive seen, more so than Crouching Tiger, its beautiful beyond words.

Yojimbo is my fav Kurosawa film, just amazing really and a joy to watch. I think it has more going on that Seven Samurai, keeps you guessing a bit more and Mifune is just stunningly good. As a rule pretty much anything by Kurosawa will be good.

And castle in the sky is my fav Ghibli film.

Zatoichi is very good also, though not as good as Yojimbo or that film's sequel Sanjuro. All these films are about bad-ass samurai who kill lots but Kurosawa's are a bit less violence focussed and more about the plot.

Then there is of course Tokyo story, ratred by ciritics as one of the best films ever made. suprised no one has mentioned it yet, though I can't say I've seen it. Kurosawa said Uzo was a boring director anyway.