Difficulty Spikes

Robo_1

I don't know how many people on here have played Rise to Honour, but as it stands it was a cinematic Blade 2 rip off, with a Jet Li fighting style tacked on. I was perfectly enjoying the game, and whilst it offered nothing wonderful, was a great bit of entertainment. The game had proved relatively easy, with plenty of save points and a nicely rounded difficulty curve. About 3/4 through the game though, you are sent into a sewer type level, and this is as far as I've got. The reason is that completely out of the blue, the game throws you into (what must be) a series of two 60 man fights, which completely destroy me. The number of characters allowed to fight at one time doubles, and the battle lasts a ridiculously long time. The control system falls flat on it's face as it cannot handle fluent 360 degree combat without critical pauses between moves, which result in you getting beaten down, fast. After what must be easily approaching a 100 attempts at this fight, I have been reduced to using a 360 degree attack move, then running around, beating up any stragglers until I can recharge my 360 attack and repeat. I still can't do it.

It's such a shame, as whilst far from anything special, I would have liked to have seen an end screen. So yeah, difficulty spikes suck syphilitic cock.

Oh and for those thinking "U MU5T B TEH SUK", I have completed Ninja Gaiden (normal), so <_<

<_<:lol:

I've just this minute got passed it. Maybe the rant helped :D

Seriously, it was a ridiculous difficulty spike, and it does have the most unrealistic stealth section of any game ever, but the gun play is done well, and up until that point it's been enjoyable.

Lesson 2 ( well for me at least )

Prince Of Persia - Sands of Time

At about 90% completion the dagger of time gets stolen from you. So, the device that basically gives the game its unique gameplay is removed.

This completely alters the flow of the game and the way you play it from there on in.

What the fuck were they thinking?

At about 90% completion the dagger of time gets stolen from you. So, the device that basically gives the game its unique gameplay is removed.

This completely alters the flow of the game and the way you play it from there on in.

I disagree - thought this section was great. Its rather like taking the stabilisers of a bike for the first time and realising that they may have helped but you didn't really need them at all. You can fly on your own.

Or erm something like that

Its rather like taking the stabilisers of a bike for the first time and realising that they may have helped but you didn't really need them at all. You can fly on your own.

That's what I thought. Okay, so you should have become pretty proficient at this jumping lark by now....lets see how you do without your safety net <_<

I disagree - thought this section was great. Its rather like taking the stabilisers of a bike for the first time and realising that they may have helped but you didn't really need them at all. You can fly on your own.

Or erm something like that

I might just be being really thick but I couldn't figure this bit out for ages. There's a bit where the vision shows you jumping to grab a beam from a place which is too far away when you do it in the game resulting in my falling to my death about 15 times made insanely frustrating by not being able to rewind... (x-box version).

Oh, and Otogi has the worst difficulty curve of all time. A scrolling beat em-up that forces you to replay levels to level-up. GYAHHrhghhh...

best bit in the game

<_<

Bit of a spoiler for me (shamefully not got the game yet), but that does sound like a great idea. Of course, having to restart sections like crazy must be a pain, but it sounds like a great way of saying "You're strong without all these gadgets!" to the player.

Driver's opening parking lot sequence is still utterly ridiculous.

Probably the worst difficulty spike in gaming history. Not because it was impossibly tough, but because all you wanted to do was hit the streets, but you were forced to spend (well for me anyway) about an hour trying to get out of the frigging garage. One of the most frustrating gaming experiences in living memory.

No Way! The first Buffy on Xbox had the worst difficulty spike in the history of gaming self-contained on just one friggin' level. The Docks. Truly one of the most sadistic levels ever created and that was just on Normal mode. After that level, the rest of the game was no problem. Don't believe me? Try it for yourself.

The final Dracula boss of Castlevania:CotM also took the piss and a lot of my time as well. I finally beat him yesterday and I've had the game over a year.

Probably the worst difficulty spike in gaming history. Not because it was impossibly tough, but because all you wanted to do was hit the streets, but you were forced to spend (well for me anyway) about an hour trying to get out of the frigging garage. One of the most frustrating gaming experiences in living memory.

Never got past it. Bought the game and ended up giving it to a mate after I realised I'd only played it for 2 hours trying to get past that fucking garage. That was stupidly shit.

The first 'real' mission on Xbox Mafia, when you are supposed to shoot thugs to rescue your buddy.

Shame about the complete lack of consistant bullet collision detection (it actually works better when you DON'T aim at them) and sloppy-as PC FPS contols on clunky pad shocker, and you have the hardest section I've ever played in a game-- It makes Gaiden's Alma looks like a walk in the park (because she is!) and Gun Valkyrie look like child's play.

Oh yeah, also the caves level in Gun Valkyrie where you have to ascend to the top. After this is complete, the rest of the game is laughably easy.

No Way! The first Buffy on Xbox had the worst difficulty spike in the history of gaming self-contained on just one friggin' level. The Docks. Truly one of the most sadistic levels ever created and that was just on Normal mode. After that level, the rest of the game was no problem. Don't believe me? Try it for yourself.

The final Dracula boss of Castlevania:CotM also took the piss and a lot of my time as well. I finally beat him yesterday and I've had the game over a year.

You are wrong.

The docks were easy. The level near the end with in an alternative universe or demon plane?? Made me quit the game and never go back to it!

You are wrong.

The docks were easy. The level near the end with in an alternative universe or demon plane?? Made me quit the game and never go back to it!

Same level I got to before gave up.

Who's fucking idea was there to put no checkpoints in that whole level. I got to the Shadow Buffy at the end once, died and just gave up. Fucking arse.

I think I must be the only person about who found the Garage section in Driver pretty easy, did it on the second attempt.

The final mission in Driver was a complete cunt though.

I can't seem to remember having any problems with it, either.

As mentioned, the parking lot sequence in Driver on the Playstation was exceedingly difficult, it took me an age to do that and by the time I did I was so annoyed that I generally went off the game.

Moto GP 2 (Xbox), moving from one game to its sequel should be a smooth ride, but strangely the difficulty for Moto GP 2 was upped tenfold, I really struggled with it and it took me six months of solid play to finally beat it.

I also thought the final part of Test Drive: Overdrive was rather tough as all your cars get taken away from you and you are left with a Ford GT90, which, in Test Drive: Overdrive, is no match for the Dodge Viper GTS-R that the CPU player is racing, hence evil tactics aplenty.

F355 Challenge is also tough but I love the game regardless, I perservered with the difficulty and found it hugely rewarding, shame the PS2 version ruined everything good about the original Dreamcast version.