League of Gentlemen

On ‎15‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 13:21, Majora said:

Wow, really on the cutting edge with these. Somebody should probably tell them it isn't still the turn of the millennium. 

Just a guess (and I had to look up the dates, because I have no memory for them), but 20th anniversary revisit:

The  League Of Gents Radio show debuted 1997. Titanic (1997).

The TV show debuted in 1999. American Beauty (1999)

The bag was just a series 3 reference.

That was possibly the darkest they’ve ever gone - it was funny when Tubbs shouted “we didn’t cut their faces off!” but truly horrible when the next shot showed that, yes, they had.

I didn’t guess that Genie Pops was a hallucination so at that point I thought we were in for a series 3 style terrible ending, but it turned out to be be pretty much perfect. They just get better as time goes on, and I hope that ending was hinting at more specials in years to come.

Caught the first episode on iPlayer last night and thought it was pretty decent. It didn't make me laugh all that much if I'm honest, but I broadly enjoyed it and thought it trod the line between nostalgia and new material fairly well. 

Was happy that, with Babs, they seemed to acknowledge that the old sketches featuring her were pretty much just 'lol aren't transexuals funny?' and found a different angle to find humour from the character instead. Still not terribly PC but nowhere near as embarrassing and tone deaf as the old Babs material seems now.

It felt like an 'ease the viewers back into the show' episode, so I'm hoping for something a bit more interesting from the second and third episodes.

Thw League was my show back in the day. After the film I didn't think that this could be any good but I have absolutely loved every minute. This is easily the best of the show, I don't think any of the characters were overused and I can't think of any characters I would've like to have seen, maybe Hillary. I will always hope for more episodes but if this is the last we see of Royston Vasey it's a hell of an ending.

The first Pauline bit was sad, but Geoff killing her was heart breaking.

Papa Lazarou's wife mine was just.....amazing

Glad it's Christmas time so I have time to rewatch it all.

Producer Adam Tandy is saying that's it for the TV series.

Very well done, so many clever twists and nuances.

Spoiler

Les McQueen all dressed up and carrying his guitar at the station... He will never give up the dream, even if it is a shit business

3 minutes ago, Stigweard said:

Anyone catch Edward saying "Our father told us"

Was it ever implied they were brother and sister before? Its been so long since I watched seasons 1-3

I did :lol:

I’m pretty sure it was mentioned (or alluded to) in series 1 or 2. When these specials started I actually remembered them being brother and sister, and forgot they were married.

These specials were great by the way. Wonderful way to bring back the old favourites, and each episode flew by, and the ending was perfect. Would be lovely to have another full series.

Watched Episode 2 last night, I totally forgot Micky and Pauline got together in series 3.

It feels like a halfway house between series 1/2 and series 3. The first two series were relentlessly sketch and punchline driven, obviously aided by the laughtrack, while series 3 was more experimental and narrative focused but sometimes just a bit too ponderous and trying to be clever for its own good. This feels like a good marriage of the two styles where it's still sketch based but slower paced and less obsessed with a laugh every 10 seconds.

I do think series 3 has a bit of an unfair reputation though. It certainly didn't all work, and a couple of the episodes aren't very good at all, but some of the episodes are very good. The one involving wanking all the customers off in the massage parlour was always my favourite. 

12 hours ago, Stigweard said:

Anyone catch Edward saying "Our father told us"

Was it ever implied they were brother and sister before? Its been so long since I watched seasons 1-3

Yeah they mentioned it when talking about David getting married. Something like 'our father was lucky, he had us to carry on the family'

Micky at the end of episode 2. Oh man that brought a tear to my eye.

Spoiler

Yeah, he's a spotty, smelly dirty idiot, but he's probably the most innocent character in the whole show. Coming home from the job he always wanted his whole life to find what he did, screaming Paulines name, with the camera pan to the wedding photos. Damn.