IGNORED

Edge 138

Mr Do 71

I'm finding it really disconcerting that Biffo is consistently outperforming the other columnists in terms of how interesting his column is, despite the fact that his major tricks consist of A) slagging off Sonic Adventure and B ) bigging up Pillage. I quite liked his column, and wanted to disagree with it (something that I like to do with things I like), but even he takes the idea of plot-orientated gaming as implicitly bad, which doesn't give much room to debate his points if you believe the opposite is true.

His approach to discussing videogames is exactly the right kind IMO- thoughtful, but amusing.

The language barrier wasn't a problem for me, so I didn't highlight it. However, the likes of Yoshinoya et al, do have a sizeable language barrier (as in having almost everything in Japanese). Considering that you are the only person to have mentioned it, I am not sure it is that much of a problem (though the review can be easily changed if people so wish).

I haven't actually played the game, I was just remarking that the review makes no mention of a language barrier, present or not, and given the text describes it as having injokes that only hardcore mecha fans would get, I thought it would be a bit complex for me.

Also the fact that Yes Asia and Play Asia don't have it.

So, if you could add a small section to the review stating if it has a language barrier or not. I mean an actual "WTF am I supposed to be doing" rather than an "I didn't get that obscure Gundam joke".

The point is Cacky, is that your whole Mekky thing would be acceptable if you were reasonable about it. If you just said "What can I say - I love big robots!" and left it at that, no one would care. But it's the fact that you think that the world must legitimise your little hobby for you. We must understand that your little obsession isn't just a bizzare catagory in games but that it's a proper and fully fleged genre. That the magazine you are also dangerously obsessed with (in a different capacity) should give more recognition to your subject. Why should they? It's not like a large proportion of their readership share your passion. They review the games, and give them appropriate scores (though, of course, for the wrong reasons). They don't give them a huge amount of page space simply because not that many people are interested in them. It's not Edge's job to promote your obsession, so why should they? When it comes down to it, you're a fanboy, You love big robots in anime (I'm sure in manga too), and you love them in video games. There's nothing intrinsically wrong with that, but to stomp about on these (and other) forums and jump up and down about robots like they're the only thing that matters and insisting that everyone care as much about them as you do is a massive sign of insecurity, and it's also fucking annoying.

I am enthusiastic, about many subjects, and I see that here, in the world of games, mecha games are covered in the same capacity as similar bestselling titles. You may call this a "fanboy" approach, but you would be wrong in that ejudication. If I was a fanboy I would claim credit for some kind of geeky masterplan, whereas what I am actually doing is trying to improve and broaden the coverage on some excellent games that would normally be overlooked.

As for EDGE, I just want them to improve on what they do. My vociferous attitude towards that is because I actually care about the quality of their output.

I know I wasn't going to go into your post point by point, but I have to bring up Halo. I've never seen anyone ignore the point quite so obviously in my life. Berhaps you have had hypnotherepy to ignore it kind of how they make people forget that the number four exists. But I will condense my point into two scentences to see if this works:

It's not what you said about the game that was insulting, it's what you inferred upon those who liked it. Penny Arcade insulted the game, you insulted us.

Penny Arcade made equal inferences and their ire had a considerably wider impact considering the number of hits their site gets. You are being somewhat duplicitous, or perhaps even ignorant, about this.

Finally, I'll come to your general conduct on these forums. You know, I don't think you realise how deluded you sound. You know, there are plenty of people on here who don't like Edge. This was more true in the Curran/McCarthy era, but there's still a fair few about. Sure, I'd say probably the majority enjoy Edge, but what a surprise, this used to be the Edge forum. But still there are those who dislike Edge. But, strangely, they don't act like twats! The fact is Cacky, is that NO ONE treats Edge like some infallible tome. They've made plenty of mistakes through their history (Gunstar Heroes a 6, Turok 2 a 9). People are perfectly capable of disagreeing with Edge, as can be shown by the fact that even when you don't stick your giant metal oar in, the Edge threads still become pretty heated. Your own personal delusions tell you that you=right, rest of world=wrong, and so you come on here and start ludicrous arguments so that the entire board turns against you, which reinforces your delusion. Get over it. Sometimes, the popular view is popular because it is true. People like Halo because they enjoy it, they're not interested in Armored Core Nexus because that type of thing doesn't interest them.

Factual errors are marked in red.

and it's true - noone gives a shit about mecha games, in general. And why should anyone be forced to? I don't see Ollie defending Japan's right to ignore the majority of games that we ship over there.  And the X box.

Well, Ubisoft's esteemed software library hasn't made it to Japan. The majority of Western games that are released in Japan are a precious precious few (and normally their localisation is shite). Couple all this with a remarkably clueless marketing team, and it's not that surprising the foreign Xbox games die a death.

In the case of the Xbox's lack of success in Japan, it's entirely their fault.

As for Western games reporters ignoring and/or poorly covering thousands of games on the fact they contain mecha is antagonistic to the priniciples of journalism.

I'm sure Ollie is perfectly fine in real life.

But the *constant* derailment of threads (about Edge, Games TM, or perfectly innocent threads about games) into insults about how we're all a rllmuk hivemind coupled with the unbridled arrogance and mecha-worship grates.

I posted a gamesTM score thread, and that's going fine. Most of you are sheep though.

I haven't actually played the game, I was just remarking that the review makes no mention of a language barrier, present or not, and given the text describes it as having injokes that only hardcore mecha fans would get, I thought it would be a bit complex for me.

The jokes were visual, mostly, and made reference to old super robot anime conventions. The game itself is entirely playable without this knowledge however (though it does help to enrich the experience).

Also the fact that Yes Asia and Play Asia don't have it.

They do (and I funnily enough typed in "Gigantic Drive" to get that surprising result).

So, if you could add a small section to the review stating if it has a language barrier or not. I mean an actual "WTF am I supposed to be doing" rather than an "I didn't get that obscure Gundam joke".

In most Japanese/Korean reviews NTSC-uk does normally have a language barrier caveat in their reviews (if it is deemed necessary). In any case, I am fine with modifying the review to clarify the possible language difficulties but, as I said, I had no problem with the game.

As for Western games reporters ignoring and/or poorly covering thousands of games on the fact they contain mecha is antagonistic to the priniciples of journalism.

Try and understand this. The vast majority of people in the West don't care about Japanese robot games. Can't you get that through your head? They're ignored in the press here because people simply don't want to read about them. It's not a matter of journalistic integrity. Would you expect to see a twenty page spread on E3 in The Guardian? Read a Japanese magazine if you want your niche catered for.

Try and understand this. The vast majority of people in the West don't care about Japanese robot games. Can't you get that through your head? They're ignored in the press here because people simply don't want to read about them. It's not a matter of journalistic integrity. Would you expect to see a twenty page spread on E3 in The Guardian? Read a Japanese magazine if you want your niche catered for.

Yet when Japanese games journalists slate the likes of Perfect Dark and Halo that results in riots on forums such as this. Rightly so, becuase they are being bigoted towards a certain type of game. This is no different than the prejudice exhibited in Britain on mecha.

Yet when Japanese games journalists slate the likes of Perfect Dark and Halo that results in riots on forums such as this. Rightly so, becuase they are being bigoted towards a certain type of game. This is no different than the prejudice exhibited in Britain on mecha.

There's a difference between the Western press ignoring robot games because its readership doesn't give two shits about them and the Western press slating them. Can you give me an example of the latter?

Rather than defending big imaginary metal rings in space against a multi-race alien horde? That's fair isn't it?

the difference is that i don't care how people describe Halo, i'm not arsed about whether they call it an FPS, combat simulation, shooter, videogame with silly aliens. i don't care, and you shouldn't care either about Mech games. it's like the scene in Shaun of The Dead, over the electro/hip hop argument. that's you that is.

"In episode 2F09, when Itchy plays Scratchy's skeleton like a xylophone, he strikes the same rib twice in succession, yet he produces two clearly different tones. I mean, what are we to believe, that this is some sort of a 'magic xylophone' or something? Boy, I really hope somebody got fired for that blunder."

THAT'S Cacophonous.

"In episode 2F09, when Itchy plays Scratchy's skeleton like a xylophone, he strikes the same rib twice in succession, yet he produces two clearly different tones.  I mean, what are we to believe, that this is some sort of a 'magic xylophone' or something?  Boy, I really hope somebody got fired for that blunder."

THAT'S Cacophonous.

It was episode 2G09 you fuckwit

Penny Arcade made equal inferences and their ire had a considerably wider impact considering the number of hits their site gets. You are being somewhat duplicitous, or perhaps even ignorant, about this.

I'm going to ignore most of Cacky's stuff, because it was basically nonsense. But this bit I'll reply to. Penny Arcade did not make "equal inferences", if they did, it would look like this:

parcade.gif

PA slated Halo, and fanboys being fanboys, they got flamed a lot for it. And they were pissed off about it. You slated Halo, and then proceded to inform us that anyone who held the opposite opinion was in fact a mindless sheep who could not think for themselves. I'd say that's a slight difference there.

Rather than defending big imaginary metal rings in space against a multi-race alien horde? That's fair isn't it?

Actually, that takes place inside a game, whereas you're defending mecks in real life. I suspect that the inability to detect the difference between fantasy and reality may be the root of your problem though.

"In episode 2F09, when Itchy plays Scratchy's skeleton like a xylophone, he strikes the same rib twice in succession, yet he produces two clearly different tones. I mean, what are we to believe, that this is some sort of a 'magic xylophone' or something? Boy, I really hope somebody got fired for that blunder."

THAT'S Cacophonous.

Is that actually a quote from somewhere? because it cracked me up.

They do (and I funnily enough typed in "Gigantic Drive" to get that surprising result).

In most Japanese/Korean reviews NTSC-uk does normally have a language barrier caveat in their reviews (if it is deemed necessary). In any case, I am fine with modifying the review to clarify the possible language difficulties but, as I said, I had no problem with the game.

Listing a game and actually being able to post it out are two different things. YesAsia, who I picked for their no-VAT thing, had it listed as well but it took 'em 4 weeks to tell me they couldn't source it at all.

Incidentally, can you speak Japanese? Cause that may be why there's no language barrier for you. So is there a barrier for a non-Japanese speaking person, noing nothing of the different letters and alphabets?

I've seen cacky click over to NTSCUK and request help with all the RLLMUK-ers that are attacking him. Of course nobody came. ^_^

Now that is the saddest thing I have ever heard... fancy getting people from another forum to help you support your arguments... I could say more but I want to avoid some kind of mecha rape!

Cheers

Quexex

The bottom line is guys that the vast majority of you come across as being mouthy fucking dickheads who are all quite happy to slag people off from safe behind your keyboards. I'm sure if you were to meet Cacophanus in real life you wouldn't say half the shite that you're coming out with here.

One of the few reasons i bother coming to this forum anymore is to read the information on mecha that Cacophanus shares. I know next to nothing about the "genre" and the views of someone so passionate about them is a great source of information. Unfortunately for reasons only known to himself he continues to come here instead of sharing his knowledge with people who are interested.

If you're not interested in what he's got to say then don't read it. Why on earth do you feel the need to write post after post slagging the guy off? Unless as i suspect its because you're all timid and powerless in real life.

Its not a crime for somene to be either passionate about something or to have their own opinions you know.