IGNORED

ITV Silence of the Lambs Censorship

Jonnyc

I watched the recent showing of silence of the lambs on ITV.

I noticed they cut out the use of the word cunt, and the masturbation scene was altered.

However, still intact were:

Head in a jar, photos of skinned women, crucified and eviscerated policeman, a partially completed suit made of women's skin, Hannibal wearing someone elses face as a mask and a woman kept starving in a well.

Fortunately though, no bad words and no sex wee - so nothing disturbing here.

Im not sure who is being protected from what here?

It's ridiculous really.

Part of the reason is censorship convention says that the UK is more opposed to sexual reference on screen, whilst those in more northern reaches of Europe are more offended by violence.

If anything, the Internet now means anyone of a certain age has seen pretty much everything, so I don't really see the point in censorship at all beyond a certain hour.

I never watched it on TV but 'The Sopranos' is full of the word.

Yeah, The Osbournes was littered with it as well thanks to the foul-mouthed Sharon. I just meant with Silence of the Lambs.

For a real insight and unitentional humor take a look at the 10th aniversary edition of Basic Instinct. It has a section showing all the edits made for the TV version.

The voice dubbing does not even try to match the the original actors voices. <_<

I always notcied ITV censored the scene in Dumb And Dumber where the guy who they threw the salt at, then left with their bill turned, up in the toilet where Jim Carrey was. When he looks at the wall it says something like "Meet here tonight at 10:15 for manly love", and they'd zoomed in on the shot so it just said "tonight at 10:15".

'I can smell your scent'

Doesn't really work does it?

No but it amuses me that they actually re recorded the scene. They did this in Ghostbusters too - when they're arguing with Walter Peck in front of the mayor Murray calls him "dickless" ("it's true, the man has no penis"). In the uncut version it's "Wally Wick ("some kind of rodent, I dunno which").

The worst censorship I ever saw was Aliens about 15 years ago on ITV. When the Aliens first appear ("they're coming out of the god damn walls, fuck!!") - I kid you not - ITV actually cut ALL sound from broadcast for about 15 seconds. Was laughing myself silly.

Did anyone see Jurassic Park the other day? I'm sure that was cut to hell.

I caught the last half hour and it was cut to hell.

Samuel Jackson's severed arm - gone.

Girl in cupboard trying to pull down the door which turns out to be a mirror in the kitchen sequence - gone.

Raptor jumping up after girl falls through ceiling and is just pulled up in time - gone.

Just bizarre cuts. They left the bit where the kid races to the fridge with the raptor right behind him, yet cut the mirror/cupboard sequence.

Very odd.

Worst dubbing ever though belongs to Aliens on ITV.

Original Ripley line - "I don't know who's worse. But at least you don't see them fucking each oter over for a percentage."

Dubbed line - "I don't know who's worse. But at least you don't see them freaking each other over for a percentage."

What makes the dubbed line even worse is the completely different voice that suddenly emits from Weaver's mouth. Higher pitched and English! FFS! I laughed for ages when I saw that.

No but it amuses me that they actually re recorded the scene. They did this in Ghostbusters too - when they're arguing with Walter Peck in front of the mayor Murray calls him "dickless" ("it's true, the man has no penis"). In the uncut version it's "Wally Wick ("some kind of rodent, I dunno which").

The worst censorship I ever saw was Aliens about 15 years ago on ITV. When the Aliens first appear ("they're coming out of the god damn walls, fuck!!") - I kid you not - ITV actually cut ALL sound from broadcast for about 15 seconds. Was laughing myself silly.

See my above post about Aliens. We probably watched the same one. Shocking.

Another Ghostbuster re do - "We came, we saw, we kicked it's ass!" becomes, "We came, we saw, we did a little shopping!" Words fail.

Yeah, there's loads more swearing in the Republic of Ireland- The Osbournes is sweartastic in comparison to the bleep-de-bleep of the C4/MTV ones.

I'm sure the show rolls out in it's uncensored version over here. I rarely watch it on Channel 4,but I don't rember bleeping there, and the MTV showing's certainly aren't bleeped out.

I have a REALLY nerdy one here ... in Blackadder Goes Forth, there's an episode with the firing squad. When Rowan is talking to the guard, he's explaining about his lawyer, Bob Massingbird. Only it's quite clear (if your hearing's any good) that the two sentences in which the name Bob Massingbird are uttered have been dubbed over by Rowan himself. Have always wondered why ..