IGNORED

Sega Rally

DJ Sack

sr01.gifpc_src03.jpg

GAMMMMEEEEEEEE OOOOOVVVVVVEEEERRRRRRRRRrrrrrr yeah!

Sega Rally hit the arcades around 1994 and no rally game has come close to beating it, the only racing game to beat it is Sega's very own daytona.

Great graphics which are still wonderful now, the first track will always live in my memory, starting out in the town, before coming up to the dirt dection, watching water hazards while you come up to the chicanes where you'll fly through the air. Aiming the car was crucial here as while flying you could hit anything if you got it wrong, after this you come up to a huge U turn passing elephants and other zoo animals before a helicopter comes down mere feet in front of you.

The other levels were extreamly memorable as well, all well worked and the 4th secret track, while a bitch, tested your driving skills to the limit. A one on one race on some tight tracks where the slightest scrape will mean you'll come second, you had to drift round every corner perfectly.

Hearing your co-driver shout 'Hard right, jump, medium left' etc was exellerating, you really felt like you was a rally driver, the music wasnt to bad either.

But it really came down to the handerling, that felt perfect, you always felt in control wheather over taking, flying through the air or powersliding around corners.

Whats even better is the Saturn version was near arcade perfect, apart from a slight graphical loss everything was ported over sucessfully.

If only Sega Rally had been a launch title for the Saturn history could have been very different. I didn't really like Sega Rally to start with as I found the cars far too hard to control compared to the likes of Daytona or Ridge Racer. However with time and being pressured into two player games I became a rally master.

The Saturn version is an absolute gem, however you need to know what version to get as they were released at different times and there are a few changes to each regional version.

USA

First version out and has a few missing backdrop items like the mountain on Stage 2. Also the cars are missing the boot badges. Rushed out for pre christmas in the US.

UK

Great PAL conversion all details included, however its still a PAL conversion.

Jap

The UK version sped up to 60Hz and all details included.

Jap

Sega Rally Plus

Adds 3D pad support and a machine link cable option. The ultimate version of the game for the Saturn Rally nut.

Theres a netlink version as well but unless you have two modems your not going to get much out of it.

There was something about the car's handling in Sega Rally that was just perfect. They felt soooo good to drive.

I got mine for 50p in Gamestation a couple of years back (back in the day, I just used to 'borrow' a friend's copy), which makes me feel kinda guilty. Maybe I'll look into getting Sega Rally Plus.

A truly wonderful game.

This was the title that made me choose a Saturn over a Playstation, and it's a choice that I've never regretted.

No one has mentioned the wonderful soundtrack either - brilliant!

I must get the Saturn out of the box and give this a play.

Rob

Jap

Sega Rally Plus

Adds 3D pad support and a machine link cable option. The ultimate version of the game for the Saturn Rally nut.

Theres a netlink version as well but unless you have two modems your not going to get much out of it.

Man I wish you were right about sega rally plus me and mate spent a while tracking down two versions to play linkup and when we finally did it didn't work no linkup option at all! very anouyed! it is one of the best racers ever though we used to play split screen twoplayer all the time.

Cheers

Quexex

Wow, what an utterly timeless game. The fact that it can now be picked up for less than a pound totally belies its magnificence. Like SFII, Tetris, etc. it's a game that never ages and is just as fresh and enjoyable whenever you go back to it.

Shame the sequel couldn't live up to its prececessor.

Finest racing game ever made.

F355 in my opinion. (arcade/home console format)

Grand Prix 4 (PC format).

Yes it needs time and effort, but you are greatly rewarded for it.

Sega Rally is one of the best "pick up and play" racers though. It's like wrestling naked school girls in a paddling pool full of engine oil. <_<

Sega Rally is one of the best "pick up and play" racers though. It's like wrestling naked school girls in a paddling pool full of engine oil. <_<

;)

Ever thought of applying to Codemasters as their box tagline chappie?!

Its certainly better than their `Best game ever` and `it's like the real thing` taglines they used to put on their boxes.

Rob

UK

Great PAL conversion all details included, however its still a PAL conversion.

Jap

The UK version sped up to 60Hz and all details included.

No difference in "running" speed, just refresh rate and anyone is gonna be hard pushed to tell the difference. My fastest times are done on the PAL version. Just thought it read like the JPN one was "faster", that is all.

Steering wheel is a must though! What an awesome piece of kit -- for £25, you can get a Saturn, Sega Rally and an official wheel. B-B-Bargain!

As much as I love the game though, Daytona is my personal fave. Cor, another couple of quid on that price and you've got a Daytona in the bag too, although its your own fault if you die from PAL-Daytona exposure.

damn, just made me dust down my saturn. just palyed desert stage on pal, theres no battery in my saturn anymore but the best laptime I set was 50 seconds, can do much better, I'll play again when I'm refreshed in the morning.

Sega Rally is indeed special - unlike so many other pretenders. Sega Rally waz teh R0x0rsz because the limited number of tracks meant you were forced to focus your attentions on a far narrower fields of choices. Mastering the game is second nature, rather than a case of

"which track do I begin with? weather conditions? reversed? mirrored? mirrored-reversed?".

You knew where to start your mastery because the end never seemed a distant goal. Unlike shite like Colin McCrae. For that reason it was like a shopping bag bursting at the seems with pure gaming gold. Oooooh, I could harp on about Sega Rally forever. :o

Still, never did understand why the navigator instructed me to take a "Gay left" on the Forest track...it didn't even remotely look like Clapham Common :P

theres no battery in my saturn anymore but the best laptime I set was 50 seconds, can do much better, I'll play again when I'm refreshed in the morning.

Before you start playing in the morning, get yourself off down Boots (or another place that sells cameras) and pick up a new battery.

Also, if you don't have a backup RAM cart you are seriously missing out on some top ghost-racing goodness too.

Rob

I think the best time I ever set (and keep in mind I've not raced to set a best lap time for a good few years now) was about 52 seconds on desert, but I never did try very hard with the Stratos so I think the times I set were with the other 2 cars.

PS - was there any point in choosing the Celica? The Delta was just plain faster.

If only Sega Rally had been a launch title for the Saturn history could have been very different.

I doubt it, apart from darius 2 and panzer dragoon 2 there weren't any games which I really liked on the saturn.

I doubt it, apart from darius 2 and panzer dragoon 2 there weren't any games which I really liked on the saturn.

So how does you liking a poor 2D shooter and a great 3d sequel change my speculation? The Saturn would have been more of a sucess if YOU had liked more games on it?

No one has mentioned the wonderful soundtrack either - brilliant!

Yes, the music is great :unsure:

The game still stands up gameplay-wise in the face of Colin McRae and Rallisport Challenge.

Anyone ever watch the replays?

Cool Breeze, Birds and Clouds.....Relax and Enjoy
<_<

From Videogame imports

"Sega Rally Plus was the re-released version of Sega Rally which was compatible with the Saturn Link Cable.

The other great addition is the inclusion of full analogue support"

It does exist.

I wasn't desputing it's existence I had two copies of the game an official link cableand it didn't do anything no extra link up option or anything so we played daytona CCE linkup instead! has anyone tried two copiues of Sega Rally plus link up successfully (doubt full I know)

Cheers

Quexex