rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
Rex Grossman

June Hip-Hop Recommendations

I'm going to keep this first post brief because I have to eat breakfast

Dilated Peoples in the UK

24 June - Electric Ballroom, Camden, London.

25 June - Manchester Academy 3, (formerly the Hop & Grape), Manchester University.

26 June - Carling Academy, 52-54 Dale End, Priory Square, Birmingham.

The first of an irregular feature… My girlfriend's hip-hop recommendations

:D

:)

Previous editions:

May

April

March

February

January

December Part 2

December Part 1

November

October

The thread that started it all

***NEW***

Bargain Section

Fopp

Raekwon – Only Built 4 Cuban Linx… £5 (submitted by Cal)

I finally bought "Deadringer" by RJD2, and if it disappoints, I will never trust any of you again! I also bought "Hell On Earth" by Mobb Deep, as "The Infamous" is one of my all-time hip hop top five. How does it compare?

B000293N76.02.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Out June 14th.

Awesome. I asked around a load of shops recently about that album and they had no idea when it was out.

Why do shops always have no clue about the stuff I like?

Why do shops always have no clue about the stuff I like?

It's just to spite you.

Did you know DJ Yoda went to the best Uni ever? We probably (almost certainly) drunkenly danced around to him before he was famous. Go us!

I finally bought "Deadringer" by RJD2, and if it disappoints, I will never trust any of you again! I also bought "Hell On Earth" by Mobb Deep, as "The Infamous" is one of my all-time hip hop top five. How does it compare?

I prefer Hell on Earth, but most people favour The Infamous. There is no doubt these are the best two Mobb Deep albums.

OK then, is Vast Aire's 'Look Mom No Hands' any good? I nearly picked it up at the weekend when I picked up RJD2's new one, but didn't.

RJD2 has a new album out?!

Ahoy, Amazon!

It's just to spite you.

Did you know DJ Yoda went to the best Uni ever? We probably (almost certainly) drunkenly danced around to him before he was famous. Go us!

God bless Mojo.

Yo, Vast Aire's has yet to fully grab my attention it has to be said. I bought it the same time as a bunch of other stuff, though and I've yet to fully listen to it. It's not exactly easy-going summer stuff, which is the stuff I've been really listening to lots lately. Perhaps I'll give it another go on a rainy day. Don't get me wrong, some of it has struck a chord (one of the 3 Madlib beats is sick, while the MF Doom collabo is out of control).

I can really recommend the RJ album, though. Gets better with every listen. I like that.

Sorry to hear my man Crisps didn't like Deadringer that much. Not even like Smoke & Mirrors, man? That song is like top 10 stuff for me.

God bless Mojo.

I miss Mojo. I didn't go nearly as often as I should have done when I was there. Here's an article about Yoda. And Mojo.

Seconded on the Rjd2. Now enjoying it very muchly. After a while you stop being appalled by the 80s retro gloss and start getting it.

Also picked up last week:

243405-1081248912.jpg

Skalpel / Skalpel

Two Polish DJs go mental on a stack of old Polish jazz tunes. Somewhere between Kid Koala and Cinematic Orchestra. Maybe not hiphop per se but not really anything else either. A bit short, though. What is it with albums nowadays? Everything's either 40 minutes or 80. Whatever happened to an hour?

I am also currently enjoying an early 90s retro/nostalgia tour:

228688-1076465387.jpg97966-001.jpgB00000HFM2.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Digable Planets haven't necessarily aged that well, but remain a damn sight funkier than Guru's inexorably tedious, dull, tiresome, humdrum and somnambulistic* Jazzmatazz.

Del continues to be and sound fantastic.

* Shouts to Roget's Thesaurus.

For those in the London area

THURSDAY 17th JUNE 2004

ALL CITY LIVE IN ASSOCIATION WITH XFM & FIDGIT PRESENTS

THE VISIONARIES

NON-PHIXION

Q UNIQUE (ex Arsonists)

Plus more supports to be announced

TIME: 8pm until 2am

ADMISSION: £10 in advance / £12 on door

TICKETS: In advance on 08700 600 100 or www.ticketweb.co.uk / Xfm Box office 0870 121 1049 www.xfm.co.uk

I can't go but would love to.

It's just to spite you.

Drunken dancing in vicinity of later-to-become-famous(ish) person.

How many points?

For those in the London area

THURSDAY 17th JUNE 2004

ALL CITY LIVE IN ASSOCIATION WITH XFM & FIDGIT PRESENTS

THE VISIONARIES

NON-PHIXION

Q UNIQUE (ex Arsonists)

Plus more supports to be announced

TIME: 8pm until 2am

ADMISSION: £10 in advance / £12 on door

TICKETS: In advance on 08700 600 100 or www.ticketweb.co.uk / Xfm Box office 0870 121 1049 www.xfm.co.uk

I can't go but would love to.

Where is it?

I like Non Phixion live.

OK then, is Vast Aire's 'Look Mom No Hands' any good? I nearly picked it up at the weekend when I picked up RJD2's new one, but didn't.

I would also like to know the answer to this question.

Hmm, Vast Aire. Parts of it are insanely good, some of it is cobblers. It doesn't flow very well as an album owing to their being so many producers but I'd say it's worth buying.

Madlib really excels himself; Look Mom...No Hands is prime RZA ramped up to 11, Life's Ill Pt 2 has a dirty electrical beat (can't really describe it) over occasional carnival samples (?!) but the stand out is Could you be? Hazy and simmering, great female vocals in the chorus and about 2 minutes in, a piano line comes in - :D Beautiful. Possibly my favourite Madlib production ever.

Other standouts include Candid Cam (produced by NASA - nasty E-lp style beats) and Why'sdaskyblue. Like Calashnikov said, the MF Doom collab is off the hook (drunken bar room piano beats) too. Just don't buy the album expecting The Cold Vein pt 2, strong lyrics through out but I'm not a huge fan of his voice. It kinda grates after a while.

Crikey, why the fuck was DJ Yoda playing Decadance? Wierdo!

There's barely a day that I don't have a Digable Planets track somewhere on my winamp playlist, even if they are clearly the poor man's Tribe Called Quest.

Don't have any Blowout Comb though - any good? (compared to Reachin')

What recommendations do people have for stuff coming out this month? Beyond the Beastie's there doesn't appear to be a huge amount on the horizon for June...

I've got this on preorder The Slickness - Prince Po thanks to the great sampler with HHC. Hold Dat is ace - hip hop and rave collide courtesy of Richard X. The Doom collabo is strong too -

Still King of the Hill it's the doom hour/When he came spit more gibberish than Boomhauer

Also, I bought this recently off ebay purely for Step Into A World -

KRSOne_1a.jpg

- and it's far better than I thought it would be. I bought Return of the Boom Bap (and beyond Sound of da Police) wasn't all that impressed. What else is worth buying in the KRS collection?

Also, I bought this recently off ebay purely for Step Into A World -

KRSOne_1a.jpg

- and it's far better than I thought it would be.  I bought Return of the Boom Bap (and beyond Sound of da Police) wasn't all that impressed. What else is worth buying in the KRS collection?

B000005X5Y.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

still sounds ace, seventeen years later. in fact, KRS rules so much, i got my gamertag off him. shame the poxy thing won't let me put a dash in it though.