rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
Preacher

Dark Angel

...For science fiction on TV. How it got cancelled is beyond me. It truly is. What did it get cancelled for? Firefly. Not that Firefly is bad, but it performed poorly even in the aftermath of Dark Angels mediocre ratings.

Anyway, I've only recently been indoctrinated into the world of Dark Angel via Sky One's repeats. There's an extra lure to try new TV out when it's been slapped in an early morning slot, don't you find? Babylon 5 stands out as the finest example...we shant talk about Mortal Kombat Conquest :)

Anyway, Dark Angel

Wow. I mean, before I'd ever seen it, I was presumptious and, more importantly, stupid enough to write this off as some cheap, tacky serial with a token cute chick fronting it and a periphery of characters who do nothing but draw attention back to Max, ably portrayed by the beautiful (seriously, Goddess-like beauty) Jessica Alba. l0l, it got canseled afta 2 seasons! it mus b 4 g4y!

Wrong wrong wrong. Dark Angel is fantastic TV, with the production values of a series like E.R. or something equally as high profile. But saying "production values" doesn't adequately cover all of the neat little things that have me hooked to Dark Angel. The acting is above and beyond the sci-fi norm - always a good thing. Believable characters with a hint of depth seem to be the death knell of science fiction these days (aside from Dark Angel, Joss Whedons Angel stands out).

"Best keep it to Andromeda standards, folks: sci fi fans are gayers with no brains!"

Onwards we go to the story. It's true enough that the story isn't anything approaching revolutionary, but at least the fucking execution is. What Whedon showed signs of in Buffy finally comes to fruition here with Cameron and his bum chums: a strong female lead who's all about taking names and kicking ass (like my hero, Reggie) whilst at the same time having to cope with all these new and strange emotions like luuurve. Now seeing Buffy grow up was interesting, but seeing a character struggle with more than the vagaries of bad guy ass kicking is infinitely more interesting. Max and the characters in Dark Angel live in a post(ish) apocolyptic world where even when you've got a break from kicking ass, there's a ton of other shit to deal with. That and Max iz y'all street n' shit.

Fucking hell. Really didn't mean to go off on a rant, but I suppose I'm just in one of those inspired rant places again. That and over the past few months, I've been watching sci-fi just gradually disappear from my screen. If I have to invest all my faith in just Enterprise and Stargate: Antlantis (what with SG-1 due to come to a finish soon), then I'll be expecting the worst.

I was told to stay away from Dark Angel. I watched the first 4 episodes and didn't like it, and then I was told that and thought it was good advice.

I sympathise that a program you love has been cancelled though, happened to me many times.

...For science fiction on TV. How it got cancelled is beyond me. It truly is. What did it get cancelled for? Firefly. Not that Firefly is bad, but it performed poorly even in the aftermath of Dark Angels mediocre ratings.

But, Firefly was infinately better than Dark Angel.

Better than most sci-fi shows ever, in fact.

Have to agree with Lazychu there. Firefly is brilliant.

BUT!

I love the first season od Dark Angel. It was excellent. Although Jessica Alba being all street was a bit annoying.

Where it fell down was in the truly dire second season.

It was really bad, so I'm not surprised ratings fell. I think it got better towards the middle, but I didn't have the patience to watch just in case it gets better.

Dark Angel actually put me off watching Alias because it was SO FUCKING SHIT that I refused to give Alias, which looked to me to be a similar premise, a chance.

I mean, what the fuck was that dog faced boy about?

EXACTLY!!!!!

That was when it went to complete and utter rubbish. The first season which didn't have mutants in it was actually quite good.

Yes, I treated them the same as they both had a cute female lead. but thankfully laine pestered and amazon had alias at £20 so I bought and loved Alias :)

Dark Angel: SHIT

And science fiction television died years ago.

The last good sci fi show was babylon 5, and even that had it's good days and it's baaad days.

The only good sci-fi/horror/fantasy-esque shows that have been around for years have been buffy, angel, and the second season of millennium, and they're all dead now too. I heard firefly was great for however many minutes it was on tv.

Now all you get is retard-level stuff with sexy leads and no intelligence whatsoever.

Sci Fi series didn't die "years ago". I'm talking about the very literal lack of science fiction on TV right now. What is there airing that's brand new? Enterprise? Anything else?

Even if there is, it says a great deal that a full list is hard to conjure. At the very least, quality science fiction is dead.

Oh, and as for Dark Angel being shit, it had as much potential at the end of season 2 as Buffy did at a similar stage. Not to knock Buffy because it's not bad ( but not a patch on Angel).

The first season was silly fun, and it had quite an interesting story.

It's not (IMO, of course) absolute shit.

The second season was though.

Oh, and as for Dark Angel being shit, it had as much potential at the end of season 2 as Buffy did at a similar stage. Not to knock Buffy because it's not bad ( but not a patch on Angel).

The main differences between dark angel and buffy:

Quality Acting

SMG may not be the greatest actress in the world, but the whole cast put together was full of great acting. Dark Angel is not.

Quality Scriptwriting

Great Plots. Great plot twists. Fabulous characterisations. Dark Angel is not.

Quality Humour

Buffy was funny, and often very funny, and funny in a witty way. Dark Angel is not.

Quality Background

The background world to Buffy was all a bit strange and new. Dark Angel is not. In fact, it's a full blown dreary sci-fi cheesefest.

Good riddance, I say.

I tried this once and thought it was shit.

Looked just awful ( it was 2nd season though ).

My brother likes it and tried to persuade me to give it another go, but I think even he had had enough by mid-season 2.

Is the game any good?

Have to agree with Lazychu there. Firefly is brilliant.

BUT!

I love the first season od Dark Angel. It was excellent. Although Jessica Alba being all street was a bit annoying.

Where it fell down was in the truly dire second season.

It was really bad, so I'm not surprised ratings fell. I think it got better towards the middle, but I didn't have the patience to watch just in case it gets better.

I agree with you entirely there. Tho you didnt watch all of season 2, you're right, it did get better. The mutants were still stupid though. However, the James Cameron directed season finale was excellent.

Quality Humour

Buffy was funny, and often very funny, and funny in a witty way. Dark Angel is not.

I don't recall Dark Angel making much of an effort to be funny. Please, do correct me if I'm wrong, but I wasn't aware that every sci-fi show requires a measure of "humour" similar to that of Buffy.

Buffys "humour" grated on me as the show went on. It just never developed itself and you could see punchlines and dialogue coming a million miles away.

But yeah, compelling argument you got there Neuromancer. :D

Anyone recall this Cyberpunk TV series from the early 2000s? It was created & produced by James Cameron, starred Jessica Alba, and had an impressive budget, yet was cancelled after just 2 seasons and has largely been forgotten. Why have I resurrected this 15 year old thread? Because it was set in 2019 and we only have a few weeks to prepare for our post-pulse world. Did anyone else watch this back in the day? What did you think of it?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dark_Angel_(American_TV_series)