I, Robot

MrSpoon

I can't believe how much they messed up I, Robot. Speaking as somebody who has not ever read or had even heard of the books before the film, it looks like it's being promoted the exact same way as the 2nd and 3rd Matrix films: condense the whole plot into the space of a trailer, leaving no pleasent surprises for those who end up watching it.

And yes, I understand that it's a practice that has been used for years, but the way it's been abused in the last couple of years is nigh-on unforgivable.

Surely the whole point of a trailer is to convey the basic premise of the movie (robot which can't kill people kills someone, fighting evil machine consciousness, etc.) whilst leaving out the details (which the aforementioned trailers do)? Otherwise it would be just 30 seconds of random action sequences and dialogue which makes no sense at all.

It seems the main problem people have is the name which is bound to piss off Asimov fans.

Yup -- especially as the robots seem (from the trailer) to turn into faceless, homicidal Frankensteins.

Which is precisely what Asimov hated in SF's general approach to robots, and why he formulated the three laws, and the first law in particular.

The film seems diametrically opposed to Asimov's aims in writing the robot stories, and then has the cheek to nick his title to sell to punters who don't know any better.

Kinda like Infogrames appropriating the Atari name . . .

But I haven't seenm the movie, so could be completely wrong. And in any case, this could still be a good film. BladeRunner's take on the motivation of androids was completely the opposite of Dick's original in "Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep", and that didn't turn out too bad, did it?

It seems the main problem people have is the name which is bound to piss off Asimov fans.

And another problem people have with the name is calling it "1 Robot." I shit you not. I've heard several people reading it that way off posters in the cinema.

And another problem people have with the name is calling it "1 Robot." I shit you not. I've heard several people reading it that way off posters in the cinema.

I'm more of a classic musicals fan.

"The King and 1" being a particular favourite.

Most people who saw I, Robot over at CHUD.com say it's not very good. But it does have the Batman Begins teaser playing in front of it (in the US at least). For me, that would be reason enough to see it.

EDIT: I might be wrong about the Batman teaser

I, Robot looks ace

I can assure you its not.

I, Robot = Fresh Prince + contrived 'Robot Hater' backstory + stupefyingly juvenile script + plot twists spoon fed and signposted to death * wholesale slaughter of Asimov's story + largely pointless CG-heavy action scenes

:rolleyes:

just watched i, robot and must say i really enjoyed it! its the usual summer blockbuster fare, big action scenes, heavy cgi, but i sat all the way through and didnt find it slow or boring at all.

best scenes-

in the tunnel where the truck load of robots try to take out will smith in his car

the robot vs human standoff

will smith's sneezing "sorry but im allergic to bullshit!"

say Sky captain and the world of tomorrow like that guy from futurama, the part at the start of it all, when fry comes out cryo for the first time, i've made people laugh with it

Glad someone else does that, as well as me :P

I enjoyed I Robot. I'd never read the book, but it was enjoyable enough.

Nothing special and has one silly scene that ruined it for me, but worth a couple of hours with a Pizza.

i'd rather spend a few hours using a cheesegrater on my balls.