IGNORED

First decent DC emulator released - Chankast

Halo

Im impressed by the quality of the emu, normally you get a lot of graphics glitching, but from them pics it seems to be able to do it perfectly, maybe due to the DC being a very simply made console?

There are a few issues, mainly transparency and some layering issues.

The biggest problem at the moment appears to be speed and looking at the amount of CPU it uses, it's all got to be in the graphics engine.

Still, not bad for a first alpha release.

Theres actually some slight problems with some of the sprites and explosions.

You can see the transparant layer (does that make sense?)

It's most obvious in the first pic - you can see some of the sprites have a dark semi-transparent square around them.

Perfectly playable mind. Sound and all.

But whats really really odd is the bit where there should be black borders the back ground appears to be correct, it continues on from the background from the proper screem, like a full screen mode sort of thing

What do you mean? ;)

Well the DC used power VR chips which are well documented and extreamly easy to program for, it used standard cpu chips not some custom made jobbie like the emotion engin and was a machine that was designed to be very sleek and efficent, unlike the saturn or ps2 for example which are just a mess inside.

Well the DC used power VR chips which are well documented and extreamly easy to program for, it used standard cpu chips not some custom made jobbie like the emotion engin and was a machine that was designed to be very sleek and efficent, unlike the saturn or ps2 for example which are just a mess inside.

um...

The Saturn used the SH-2 RISC @ 28.6MHz (ok, it used 2)

The DC used the SH-4 RISC @200MHz

Theres actually some slight problems with some of the sprites and explosions.

You can see the transparant layer (does that make sense?)

It's most obvious in the first pic - you can see some of the sprites have a dark semi-transparent square around them.

Perfectly playable mind. Sound and all.

Ah, it'll be something to do with texture interpolation then. PS games played on PS2 with texture interpolation on tend to do that.

Any way of turning linear/bilinear texture filtering off on your graphics card?

I pretty much see this as a non-event.

Then why are you here making multiple posts about it? If others are excited (myself included), why spend your time moaning about something your not all that interested in? Is your life so lacking in meaningful events that the non-events are all you've got to talk about?

The saturn also had about 8 different chips for graphics in total which all run in sync, again the ps2 is similar to this design.

Yeah, but the DC had a good idea of what it was all for (tile rendering, one of the simplest and most effective ways of using parallel processing in graphics).

Yeah, but the DC had a good idea of what it was all for (tile rendering, one of the simplest and most effective ways of using parallel processing in graphics).

which itself was just luck because the japanese katana using the (now) Imagination chipset won the competition with the SEGA US dural which used 3Dfx tech.

Strange how PowerVR never really kicked off elsewhere then, eh? :D

emulation of a dead non-supported system (DC): good.

emulation of an industry player and current market leader (GBA): bad.

Surely the whole point of a GBA is to be able to take it with you?

Surely the whole point of a GBA is to be able to take it with you?

Yeah, the only time I've ever really used GBA emulation is to try-before-I-buy.

Although that little window is very discreet, and easy to hide from the boss in an emergency... :)

Except in the not too distant future most phones will have the DC graphics chip descendant in them.

Ah yes, the old MBX tech.

Do you realise that it's been featured in Edges news section twice now, like it's teh nu? <_<

i have found colleagues of mine (who work for a fucking games company might i add) playing advance wars on their desktop.

The advantage of that is that you can play it online, of course.