IGNORED

So how is Hyper Street Fighter 2?

danryu

I've played it now and there were several things wrong for me..

Firstly the controls were too loose and not responsive enough. It takes about 5 or 6 attempts to do a fireball or hurricane kick each time whereas on Alpha or GGXX, instant.

The difficulty levels... on Hardest, if you move forward you're dead, if you jump forward you're ultra dead. On easiest it seems to be what people would class normal difficuty.

So I choose Street Fighter 2 mode. I've got normal Ryu. First match is vs Dee Jay... errrr... second match is vs Chun Li and she's got fireballs... hang on!! so on the classic mode only your character is classic... that's rubbish ;)

So all in all it's rubbish for me, i'd rather put £15 towards Alpha 3 or just keep the money and play it on better emulation

I'm dissapointed in that it's being dubbed as a sort of ultimate compendium collectors edition, yet it's missing basic features like the ability to save high scores and button configs (even more infuritaing seeing as I always use L1 for HP and R1 for HK). It's still brilliant, and I don't regret buying it for such a nominal amount, but it's not the super uber ultimate version of SFII I was hoping for.

Someone, anyone, explain to her why Streetfighter 2 is the near apogee of the fighting genre.

Because it's simple but very balanced and everybody knows how to play it but to varying degrees. It's like Othello :D but this version is shit, mainly because of the controls and the inconsistencies.

I've played it now and there were several things wrong for me..

Firstly the controls were too loose and not responsive enough. It takes about 5 or 6 attempts to do a fireball or hurricane kick each time whereas on Alpha or GGXX, instant.

The difficulty levels... on Hardest, if you move forward you're dead, if you jump forward you're ultra dead. On easiest it seems to be what people would class normal difficuty.

so basically you arent very good at it so its rubbish :D

Someone, anyone, explain to her why Streetfighter 2 is the near apogee of the fighting genre.

it was revolutionary, it invented combos, it got people back into the arcades, its the template for all one on one fighters, and it has an instantly recognisable asthetic, (which they decided to destroy with the alpha/zero series). It sold the snes, it made megadrive owners jealous. Its still better than all other 2d fighters in my book (yes including garou etc). It defined an era.

Edit: I think i was ten or 11 when my brother took me to an arcade to play this. I nearly feel over when I say it. It blew everything out of the water. Then about a year and half later we got a snes for xmas - street fighter in you own house?! For people who didnt play it when it came out this I can see how this re release is probably quite meaningless.

it was revolutionary, it invented combos, it got people back into the arcades, its the template for all one on one fighters, and it has an instantly recognisable asthetic, (which they decided to destroy with the alpha/zero series). It sold the snes, it made megadrive owners jealous. Its still better than all other 2d fighters in my book (yes including garou etc). It defined an era.

And, graphics aside, it hasn't aged a day and remains as playable today as it ever was. It's still the yardstick by which all others shall be measured.

A host of good reasons, there.

And, graphics aside, it hasn't aged a day and remains as playable today as it ever was

to tell you truth I think the graphics look great even by todays standards (im not talking about the alpha versions), Especially the arcade versions, i'm not sure about this but are they running a 60 fps?

To me they are the pinnicle of 2d game graphics, they have there own asthetic / style that isnt trying to copy another media/art form (unlike the alpha version which try to look like manga cartoons).

Even though they are low res I think they look better for it. Guilty Gear is high res and it just looks to clean.

One game thing that me and my flatmate always come back is sf2t on chipped xbox with two modded dc sticks and some cans of tennents. Ah....

so basically you arent very good at it so its rubbish ;)

I'm saying that because the controls are bad on this version (they're not bad on the xbox or the pc goddammit!) I don't like it. I'm sure that if I could actually do fireballs when I press D DF F+P then I could play it on medium. I'm not saying that I'm that good but i'm no slouch because I can complete Soul Calibur 2 no problems on Ultra hard, and Street Fighter Alpha 3 on 6 stars. Someone else commented on it being unnaturally hard...

also it's just not a very good mix, why does deejay and SSF2T chun li fight you when you are playing SF2 mode etc..

I'm saying that because the controls are bad on this version (they're not bad on the xbox or the pc goddammit!) I don't like it. I'm sure that if I could actually do fireballs when I press D DF F+P then I could play it on medium. I'm not saying that I'm that good but i'm no slouch because I can complete Soul Calibur 2 no problems on Ultra hard, and Street Fighter Alpha 3 on 6 stars

i was only joking, i m shite at it so who am i to judge

God this game is hard. Put it on medium to start off with and didnt even get put the first stage. Have i gone that crap in the space of two years?

Its also very hard to do any kind of dragon punch with the PS2 pad. I need to play this game for a solid week to see if its me or the pad.

God this game is hard. Put it on medium to start off with and didnt even get put the first stage. Have i gone that crap in the space of two years?

Its also very hard to do any kind of dragon punch with the PS2 pad. I need to play this game for a solid week to see if its me or the pad.

It's the pad. and it's the difficulty levels. play the original on emulation, it was never this hard, trust me. what you have said is what i've said since the start about this version ;)

I have to say, when I played this at work where we have no arcade stick, I found it nigh on impossible to pull off the moves.

Still, playing SF2 with a pad is like having sex by dangling a sausage from a remote control helicopter, so fuck the lot of you.

you know, I kinda wish I'd bought the soul calibur 2 stick for it's 6 button joys, but I love my vf4evo stick and it's thumb damage.

besides, evo's loads better than sf2. No proper ninjas in sf2, innit.

Fuck ninjas, where's my body check, hmm? Where's my knee? Nowhere, that's where.

Street Fighter 2 is still an amazing game but it's not the best fighter anymore.