IGNORED

Deus Ex 2: it's ace and you know it

Silly Killer

Deus ex 2 is unfinnished and broken in quite a few ways. Its still ace thou. I might actually go back and play deus ex one again. Thats one of my all time favorite games, though it took me while to relise this, that blomming first level really put me off a few times.

Deus ex :(:(

Deus ex 2 :D

Heres hoping deus ex 3 gets it right

P.S I think we ve fogotten how badly deus ex 1 was broken to

What is worth noting about Deus Ex is that the flaws could be overlooked simply because the overall game was so astonishingly sublime. That cannot be said of Invisible War.

Oh, and why do so many people rant on about the first level in Deus Ex ? Why is it so different to all of the other levels in the game ? I had no problems, and I enjoyed it immensely.

Oh, and why do so many people rant on about the first level in Deus Ex ? Why is it so different to all of the other levels in the game ? I had no problems, and I enjoyed it immensely.

becase it was an opening level and is very very tough

invisible war isnt a particularly bad game, its just not a great game.

'streamlining' is actually dumbing down, and the dual focus, console and pc, ruined the tech.

unified ammo, no skills etc. pretty bad crimes, but one 'streamlining' i was completely amazed with was the lack of background material.

there are only approx 6 'books' in the game, only a paragraph long, and they are repeated over and over.

in fact one area has ALL of them on a box-shelf.

what a crime.

anyways, if you have the PC version of Invisible War and you want to sex it up a little, try this:

http://www.dx2rebirth.offtopicproductions.com/

some nice textures, and the dxtool fixes ALOT of performance issues.

becase it was an opening level and is very very tough

I can't say that I noticed it being exceptionally tough.....and the difficulty was set to REALISTIC. What I did notice was how well I could sneak around, using shadows, boxes etc. for cover. That's how Deus Ex should be played. It isn't meant to be an arcade shooter.

I can't say that I noticed it being exceptionally tough.....and the difficulty was set to REALISTIC. What I did notice was how well I could sneak around, using shadows, boxes etc. for cover. That's how Deus Ex should be played. It isn't meant to be an arcade shooter.

The genius also being yo find the back route second time through (in my case ... :wub: ) and you can do it in about 10 minutes.

the first time I heard then saw that Ed 209 ^_^ so many amazing moments in that game.

They've completely messed up the economics of the game. Money is now essentially worthless. I had over 7K left on completion. Biomod cans are now worthless, I had ten left over of each type. Multitools are wothless, for most of the game I had in excess of 20. And finally ammo is worthless since there's so much of it lying around.

That said, it's still a good fun game. It just barely deserves the Deus Ex title really, so little does it share beside the plot.

Yes but as an opening level when you are trying to figure out how to play the game its quite hard. It didnt exactly lead me in gently

Honest question, did you play the training mission?

of course i did ;)

I'm not the only person who thought the first level was extremely difficult for a opening level, quite a few people on here have mentioned it. In fact I was so put off by the first level I gave up and didnt come back to the game until a few years later. Which is very wierd becuase its one my all time fav games (number 3 I think after goldeneye and tony hawk 2!).

If I went back and played the level now I'd think it was simple but I remember just thinking what the hell am I supposed to be doing.

There was some confusing elements - like my HQ being inside the first level?! (im not the only one who didnt understand at first.

Dont get me wrong, absolutley faboulous game, no one has even attempted to copy it?!

I tried it for a spell on PC...didn't really get on with it to be honest. Mainly due to the aforementioned reasons but mainly the hideously bad optimisation (or lack of it...). Slowed down terribly on my machine (that can max the detail on current games with 1280x1024 blah blah). I reckon if I had played it before the first (say, if this was the first game in the series) and if it ran smooth and looked nicer then I would have found it a whole lot more enjoyable. It just had too much to live up to and they changed too much (for the worse). Still, you can make it look a whole lot nicer using these textures. Hats off to this guy for creating some amazing textures that really spruce up the game!

someone refuses to read the whole thread ;)

the link i posted:

http://www.dx2rebirth.offtopicproductions.com/

has one large texture pack which includes John's character skins, and alot of crisper envoirnmental textures.

as for the first level, i thought it was amazing. very very hard if you had no idea about the play mechanics of the game i.e. TAKE IT SLOW.

the problem that i saw most people having (me included) was that there was no linear path to complete the mission, there were several ways to infiltrate the statue.

at that time, the whole idea of 'freeform' gameplay was new.

i took me a while to get to the NSF unit leader and the resulting conversation astounded me. really set the tone for the rest of the game, and as i agreed with the comments of the NSF leader, i steered away from letal force when dealing with the NSF.

as for the first level, i thought it was amazing. very very hard if you had no idea about the play mechanics of the game i.e. TAKE IT SLOW.

the problem that i saw most people having (me included) was that there was no linear path to complete the mission, there were several ways to infiltrate the statue.

i took me a while to get to the NSF unit leader and the resulting conversation astounded me. really set the tone for the rest of the game, and as i agreed with the comments of the NSF leader, i steered away from letal force when dealing with the NSF.

I agree. I was simply gobsmacked by this game when it first came out. Only this, OOT and Half Life have had me up til 4-5am on a weekday, I just could not stop playing it, was not in a hurry but still desperate to see what happened next. Countless moments that stick in my head, although the whore being shot in NY still stands out. Literally made me jump out of my seat and caused genuine shock cos I'd been skulking listening to her argue with her pimp then all of a sudden she's toast and I'm like "I could have saved her!!" I was playing through it the same time as a mate at work and we would talk about situations in which the majority of the time we were doing completely different things.

Yes but as an opening level when you are trying to figure out how to play the game its quite hard. It didnt exactly lead me in gently

I had never played an RPG before I played Deus Ex....and yet I coped well with that first level. I stayed hidden in the shadows, progressed to the north dock (where I was told about entering the Statue of Liberty from the rear), and then proceeded to do just that. I'm not saying that it was particularly easy, but it was great fun.

To be honest, I don't see a problem with it. I hate being guided around the first few levels of a game, being told when to use certain keys, and what to do and where to go. It's bollocks. Deus Ex may have thrown me in at the deep end, but I was up to the challenge. It made me want to keep on playing the game.

I have given up on lesser games simply because the first couple of levels were boring and patronising.

Honest question, did you play the training mission?

Very good question. I did, and it was enough to reveal that sneaking around was the sensible approach.

thats exactly what i mean.

does any one know if a mod is being made that would convert deus ex into the deus ex 2 engine.

Also i'm playing deus ex 2 on the xbox, its good but I really wish my pc could play it properly. Those pc screen shots woth everything up full look a million times better