IGNORED

a stupid idea for a joypad, chaning button

bplus

Right tonight I decided to sit down and play deus ex 2 on the xbox. I ve been playing rainbow six 3 for a few weeks now and have got used to the way I ve set up my controls; south paw; aim with left thumb, move and strafe with right. I'm not left handed but it means my aiming thumb is same as goldeneye (left thumb).

Anyway deus ex wont let me set up my controller like this. So now I either have to give up or change how a play fpss on consoles and i'll get even worse at rainbow six in the process.

Or I could get that crappy GAME brand pad I have and swap over the the wires for the control sticks. A bit extreme yes but it would only take ten mins.

This got me thinking if developers are to stupid to think to implement more than two control schemes (this is old ground i know), then maybe a peripheral maker should create a device where you can change the function of the buttons from outside the game.

PS how anybody who spends millions creating a game could be so daft as to not allow me to configure my controls is beyond me.

Given the popularity of FPS games, it's essential that we can customise controls. These aren't the days when you use a d-pad for movement, a button to jump and a button to fire anymore.

Left handed, Right handed, weirdos - all must be catered for. It's easy to work it into a game too.

.::: There was this cusotmizable keyboard I stumbled upon a while back on the net. Had a plate on which you could fasten any number of keys, essentially giving you insane customising options.

Can't for the life of me remember what it was called though...

The recent Serious Sam release was another one, only one control scheme to choose from which to my mind is diabolical. I use the same setup as Fry Crayola, and it's just too confusing trying to swap over. Which is really disapointing because i loved the all out blaster-thon of the Xbox prequel. :'(

the best control mechanism ever for a FPS imho was the Turok controls on the N64... I loved it.. and thankfully, Goldeneye let me play like that as well...

I've completely changed for this gen tho, mainly because I've been forced. So many 3D games, so many ways of controlling... I mean... Zelda and Mario Sunshine have the best 3D control mechanisms this gen imho, but, their camera spins the opposite way from games like PoP... drives me mad it does.

No wonder gaming is limited to a select few... I can't imagine some folks being able to pick up and play games like this. My brother spent most of Halo looking at the sky or the ground and got fed up with it... he went back to Fifa...

For a newbie (and for the style of game it was as well), Metroid Prime had a great FP control mechanim. The problem was, for n00b's, it was actually a very very difficult game.

P00r n00b5

the best control mechanism ever for a FPS imho was the Turok controls on the N64... I loved it.. and thankfully, Goldeneye let me play like that as well...

I quite liked the way Fur Fighters, on the DC at least, gave you several control schemes, one of which was called "Secret Agent" style and one "Dinosaur Hunter" style.

Or something like that.

maybe a peripheral maker should create a device where you can change the function of the buttons from outside the game.

That's not actually a bad idea at all.

It would then also save the developers having to do that.

Better still though, would be if the controllers were configurable through the system menu for the console, that way, all games would have configurable controls, without the developers having to do anything.

Just imagine, if through the system settings, you could switch which button fired which action, swap the sticks around, switch up for down on the sticks, configure the sensitivity, etc...

Plus, the console SDKs would also be able to come a simple API to connect through to these options, so the developers could take advantage of them with very little effort, and you'd then be able to save configurations on a per game basis (although, per game settings, could also be offered in the system setup screens).

Am I some kind of insane genius, or just insane?

You're insane.

Certain games require definite control methods, and wouldn't work any other way. Although I freely admit to not being able to think of any off the top of my head.

If you forced the console to consider which buttons are which, you'd end up reconfiguring every time you want to play a game. It makes much more sense for the developer to spend a part of the design process ensuring the controls are configurable, and a part of the development process doing the same.

You're insane.

Certain games require definite control methods, and wouldn't work any other way. Although I freely admit to not being able to think of any off the top of my head.

If you forced the console to consider which buttons are which, you'd end up reconfiguring every time you want to play a game. It makes much more sense for the developer to spend a part of the design process ensuring the controls are configurable, and a part of the development process doing the same.

There could still be a default - then, if the developer really had come up with a unique system that only worked in one particular way, you could just set the controller to default for that game, then switch back afterwards.

The user would only override the defaults if it made it easier for them, the developers needn't worry about it, and if it were supported by the console, it'd take a whole tedious (although not that big, probably) has-to-be-done section of development away from them.

There could still be a default - then, if the developer really had come up with a unique system that only worked in one particular way, you could just set the controller to default for that game, then switch back afterwards.

The user would only override the defaults if it made it easier for them

Just what I was going to say.

If the controls only worked one way for a particular game, then you wouldn't go configuring them. That'd be dumb!

It should be possible for someone to code this on a chipped XBox I guess, or for people like those lovely Datel folks, to come up with some kind of boot disc to enable it.

Damn, I should have patented this idea before letting it loose on the public!! (though, in a way, I am kind of thinking - "If this really was possible, and such a good idea, then why has nobody thought of it/implemented it before?".

Damn, I should have patented this idea before letting it loose on the public!! (though, in a way, I am kind of thinking - "If this really was possible, and such a good idea, then why has nobody thought of it/implemented it before?".

for a start you can't patent just an idea, you can patent a way of implementing an idea.

Secondly you stole this idea from me :)

for a start you can't patent just an idea, you can patent a way of implementing an idea.

Pah, didn't those software patent things get through then.

They were basically going to allow you to patent ideas - now I realise why they're such a great thing!

Besides, it'd be pretty easy to come up with enough of a way to implement it to get a patent through.

Secondly you stole this idea of me

Nah, your idea was completely different!

Nah, your idea was completely different!

just like hoover told dyson :)

Edit: but really this would be great if someone could implment this on a chipped xbox.

And im sure disabled gamers would be pleased

Go post the idea on some xbox hacker forums or something.

I'm sure it should be possible, and I'd even give it a go myself if:

a) I had an xbox, and

B) I knew anything about xbox hacking (I'm doubting you can code them in Java!)