IGNORED

Losing 'Brand Momentum'

E-X

Don't think anyone else has posted this yet, but there was a report in today's Guardian ('eBay wins the top-brand auction' - p.23) which revolved around research performed by advertising firm, Euro RSCG, into general 'brand momentum'.

As the title suggests, eBay came top of the list, with Google placing 2nd, Amazon 4th and PlayStation 6th. However it was the 'Least momentum' list that made far more interesting/depressing reading:

1) Royal Mail

2) Sega

3) Nintendo

Now what really worries me about this is that people are still considering Sega as a failing brand (bear in mind this was market research amongst the public), despite them having not done anything high-profile in what seems like years. Further to this, the fact that out of all the brands surveyed, two gaming firms came 2nd and 3rd worst really does make discouraging reading.

Or am I just being too negative about this?

E-X

Now what really worries me about this is that people are still considering Sega as a failing brand (bear in mind this was market research amongst the public), despite them having not done anything high-profile in what seems like years. Further to this, the fact that out of all the brands surveyed, two gaming firms came 2nd and 3rd worst really does make discouraging reading.

The problem, as has been highlighted with both companies again and again, is that they are both perceived as children's toy firms of a bygone era. Neither Sega nor Nintendo have ever really managed to carry any sort of consumer relationship past childhood for the greater majority of their once fans. In that respect, they are not unlike Marvel Comics or Games Workshop, but in the wider digital device marketplace (of which they are a part) it doesn't do to look dorky.

What both companies need is a massive revamp of both brand and content. Sega need to lose the name Sega and come back as some other entity (not Sega Sammy shit either). It is a 'poison' name now, and they won't go far.

As for Nintendo, Nintendo need to stop making shit. <_<

Haha

No, what Nintendo need to do is to make a choice. Either they are a kids game company or they are an adult games company. At the moment, they suffer heavily from having a brand that sends mixed messages. Their games look like young kids stuff, but they are much too difficult for kids. The public read about lots of hardcore gamers practically wetting themselves over a new Nintendo device, only to see that said device is actually another piece of Duplo-inspired design hiding some fairly adult hardware (The DS, or the Cube).

Their problem is that they don't know what they want to be, and they can't be everything. What they should do is either

A: Go for the complex high ground, drop the cutesy 'Nintendo' name in English-speaking countries, hire some professional product designers, make their next machine look like sex on legs (The SP was a good start here) and make the games within as complex as Nintendo make them, but getting rid of the fuzzy characters and the primary colours.

B: Keep the fuzzy primaries, but drop the complicated gameplay, and spend all their money reinforcing the child end of their brand, turning them into a real toy brand.

One possible option would be to bring out their material in two compatible strands (possibly under two company brand logos or something).

Since the DC, what have sega done thats been huge? Sod all, sonic heros is the best people could come up with i guess, but once they get their new footy management game out there, the warhammer game, the matrix online and so on, which they have been builiding up to, then customers will recognise the brand again.

Nintendo's attitude is "stuff that's suitable for everyone", which inevitably leads to thinks like easier Zelda games or tougher Mario games or incredibly convincing GameCube ads which end with a high-pitched "YIIPPEEE!". Perhaps their attitude should be "something for everyone", i.e. not try to grab the entire market at the same time with every product, but instead provide a wide spectrum of products.

anything like this has to be taken with a pinch of salt. Like games companies seem to be featured pretty heavily so they probably just asked a bunch of teens or something.

why should nintendo have to either drop the kids image or stop making adult games? they are profitable and a sucessful business doing what they do right now. I think the main advantage nintendo have is the universal appeal of their products, the main disadvantage they have is how little they make of this. Like it doesnt matter if your 9 or 65, male or female, gay or straight or anything like that to enjoy their games.. its like the international language of gameplay (this is getting embarresing now!)

as for sega they are making big improvements like with sonic being such a success, hopefully they wont let games like football manager and warhammer fade away with a lack of promotion like worms 3D did :S

why should nintendo have to either drop the kids image or stop making adult games? they are profitable and a sucessful business doing what they do right now. I think the main advantage nintendo have is the universal appeal of their products, the main disadvantage they have is how little they make of this. Like it doesnt matter if your 9 or 65, male or female, gay or straight or anything like that to enjoy their games.. its like the international language of gameplay (this is getting embarresing now!)

Problem is that, like I say, no one game can appeal to everyone at once, so they should focus on having a wide range of games for lots of different demographics (one of Sony's biggest strengths) as well as keeping their key franchises on the go.

Only good things Sega done since Dreamcast days is

Super Monkey Ball, F-Zero, Outrun 2 and Billy Hatcher. But they aren't as good as they used to be.

Nintendo are a very weak brand in UK now in eyes of massmarket. I think Nintendo should cut their loss in Europe for next generation and stick with selling in USA/Japan/Canada and allow us to import.

Only good things Sega done since Dreamcast days is

Super Monkey Ball, F-Zero, Outrun 2 and Billy Hatcher. But they aren't as good as they used to be.

Nintendo are a very weak brand in UK now in eyes of massmarket. I think Nintendo should cut their loss in Europe for next generation and stick with selling in USA/Japan/Canada and allow us to import.

er.. if thats the case how come the no2 game in the UK charts is a GC exclusive published by nintendo?

that this is the third time this year a GC exclusive title has made the top 10 and others have charted such as harvest moon, which only left the top 40 last week desipte very poor distribution, packaging and no advertising at all.

also last week the GC outsold the Xbox in the UK.

this is not a fanboy nah-nah post but one attempting to say that nintendo is not done for. The fact it came second at least means nintendo is still in the minds of the consumer. You dont see companies like Core Design which have actually been through a lot of trouble on that list because no-one really cares.

In terms of Sega its arguable that panzer dragoon orta, jet set radio future, rez publishing OTOGI in europe, getting the gamecube online and virtua fighter 4 are also good things sega have done since the dreamcast.

Finally in my last post i wasnt very clear and im dont think im going to get any clearer with this one. Nintendo games dont have boundries, they dont have plot twists or design features that exclude people. There are games on other formats like this but nintendo ones feel different somehow? Its hard to explain.. I can enjoy zelda, mario, kirby, doshin, pikmin or whatever without having to feel cut off or made to feel like some kind of lower lifeform its like being in another world entirely that sidesteps the issues that other games dog you down in. ?

Nintendo's attitude is "stuff that's suitable for everyone", which inevitably leads to thinks like easier Zelda games or tougher Mario games or incredibly convincing GameCube ads which end with a high-pitched "YIIPPEEE!". Perhaps their attitude should be "something for everyone", i.e. not try to grab the entire market at the same time with every product, but instead provide a wide spectrum of products.

No, that's how you sink a brand stone dead.

The very worst thing that a company can do to its own brands is to confuse customers, because then they are not emoting. And when they're not emoting, they're not wanting. And when they're not wanting, they sure as hell aint buying.

Nintendo were really clued into their market circa the SNES era, as were Sega, in that both companies knew who they were selling to, what they wanted, and how to get that across.

The problem that Nintendo have had since then is that they have tried to grow older with their own fanbase while at the same time appealing to the kids. This has created brand confusion, and consequently a lot of trouble and poor sales performance relative to the size of the games market.

Brands 101 is that you keep your brand focussed on what it is, and make it the best as possible at that. That is what Nintendo have effectively failed to do by trying to straddle two markets at once, with the result that they look strong in neither.

why should nintendo have to either drop the kids image or stop making adult games?

Because their brand has dropped in relative power over the years, because they have increasingly endangered prospects. Hell, even their ex-CEO admitted that the whole company would stand or fall based on the DS.

They are effectively stuck in the middle.

Their games look like young kids stuff, but they are much too difficult for kids.

No they arent, they are some of the most accessible games on the market. They have hidden depths. THough you are correct about the other stuff about nintendo

1.jpg

super-mario-sunshine-4.jpg

It's like the work of Tarantino himself!

Seriously, you can point out how incredibly good Nintendo's titles are, but arguing that their two main franchises don't look like kids' games is foolish.

Thank goodness for:

metroid-prime-6.jpg

external_image1.jpg

Surely Sonic Heroes shows how big Sega's brand recognition still is? Top of the charts for ages, people buying it in droves, etc.

That list will have been compiled in a stupid way, from "researchers" that put the first top 10 failing companies down, because they think PlAyStationAZ! is da coolest, so Niendnto and Sgae is for K1dd1iES!11

And so on.

Surely Sonic Heroes shows how big Sega's brand recognition still is?  Top of the charts for ages, people buying it in droves, etc.

That list will have been compiled in a stupid way, from "researchers" that put the first top 10 failing companies down, because they think PlAyStationAZ! is da coolest, so Niendnto and Sgae is for K1dd1iES!11

And so on.

brand recognition is not the same as brand momentum.

of course these people know who nintendo and sega are, or they wouldn't have mentioned them. but remember what nintendo and sega were like 15 years ago? they owned the console market. now what? nintendo compete with a business software manufacturer for a distant 2nd place behind sony, while sega don't even make consoles anymore.

even more recently, about 5 years ago when the pokemon craze was at its peak, nintendo had their game characters painted on the side of jumbo jets, films in the cinema - now what? they barely manage to get together tv adverts.

the truth isn't that terrible. they are both profitable companies and they both make good products. but they are not a patch on what they were 10-15 years ago.

Oh please, it's staring you straight in the face. :D

what? alright then is The Animatrix for kids? Kids Story and that other one with the haunted mansion feature less violence than Wind Waker but i wouldn't say they were for kids so why say that Wind Waker is?

what? alright then is The Animatrix for kids? Kids Story and that other one with the haunted mansion feature less violence than Wind Waker but i wouldn't say they were for kids so why say that Wind Waker is?

Dude (I presume),

It's not the fact that it's animated that makes it kid-looking (all computer games are animated, if you thnk about it). It's the style of it, with the big dopey eyes, massive primary colours, characters that wouldn't look out of place in the Tellytubbies (especially in Mario's case) and so on.

And kids have scary cartoons too, remember. Look at the WW's scary bits, and then look at Cruella DeVille.

Just to put this list into perspective, my housemate noticed the following things:

Funnily enough, this week's trade rags have had a veritable PR offensive from RSCG (so I assume they're on the prowl). I was most shocked to read that they'd pitched or are pitching for Pringles, Sony and Mini in the past month. So no reason to butter them up. Oh and did they mention that their current clients include Nokia (who are in the top 10) and Airbus, whose sworn enemy have made it to the bottom of the bottom 10 list?

In other words, it's BIG BOLLOCKS.